Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 02:11:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LINKING MONERO WALLETS  (Read 591 times)
wetware (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 05:55:47 PM

Forgive if I misunderstand how monero and ring sigs work, but am I right in thinking that:

Mon offers pseudo anonymity by mixing your transaction in with 3,5,10 others so anyone looking cant say that one walllet specifically transferred XMR to another.

If however, one wallet sends several transfers to another, those two wallets will be in the same ring each time and therefore obviously the ones that have some connection.

Is that correct?
Wheatclove

Activity: 606
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 06:00:11 PM

Forgive if I misunderstand how monero and ring sigs work, but am I right in thinking that:

Mon offers pseudo anonymity by mixing your transaction in with 3,5,10 others so anyone looking cant say that one walllet specifically transferred XMR to another.

If however, one wallet sends several transfers to another, those two wallets will be in the same ring each time and therefore obviously the ones that have some connection.

Is that correct?

Monero uses one time addresses
wetware (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 06:17:23 PM

ahhh, clever. That would solve that problem then yes. So why bother with ring sigs and mixing at all if theyre one time addresses?
Wheatclove

Activity: 606
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 07:59:41 PM

ahhh, clever. That would solve that problem then yes. So why bother with ring sigs and mixing at all if theyre one time addresses?

Ring signatures are not equivalent to mixing.

One time addresses/stealth addresses do not provide anonymity. The issue with only using them for non-ring signature transactions will result in each user having many addresses with small balances within their private key. If the user consolidates all of their holdings into 1 address, every transaction can be historically linked back to them.
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1115

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 10:05:13 PM

I think the words untraceable and unlinkable are used to describe the function of stealth addresses and ring signatures, respectively, though I might have them reversed...
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 10:34:16 PM

I think the words untraceable and unlinkable are used to describe the function of stealth addresses and ring signatures, respectively, though I might have them reversed...

That is reversed, but which is which isn't that important. What is important is the two functions are synergistic. If you can link addresses you could infer spending paths (as stated by OP). But also, if you can see spending paths you can infer linkages, because usually all inputs to a transaction are controlled by the same sender (excluding cooperative schemes such as coinjoin). With a mechanism to prevent both linking and tracing the blockchain becomes highly resistant to analysis.

XMRpromotions

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 11:23:06 PM

I think this video from one of the Monero core devs does a good job explaining the basics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEVm1dMn5Ks

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: