Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:10:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thrive Movement's response on Bitcoin  (Read 2194 times)
osmosis (OP)

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 07:26:09 PM
Last edit: August 25, 2014, 11:09:37 PM by osmosis

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChrisKoss

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 07:35:50 PM

Sounds like Thrive is full of old-school gold bugs who want metal backing of all currency.  

The fact that they linked to Solidcoin's blog is a pretty good indicator of their level of technical savviness.

EDIT:

Oh dear...

Watch this:
http://www.thrivemovement.com/

Their film is about using "energy technology" from UFOs to make free energy.  These are bunch of crackpots we don't want associated with Bitcoin.

I am a consultant providing services to CoinLab, Inc.
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 07:41:25 PM

Snake Oil Salesmen Refuse Payment, news at 11.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 07:56:42 PM

Snake Oil Salesmen Refuse Payment, news at 11.

Yeah that Thrive stuff is a bunch of BS, I wouldn't bother with them..

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 07:56:47 PM

HA!  Thrive linked to SolidCoin's article...so biased and full of FUD.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 08:25:51 PM

Actually, when reading it carefully it is not that bad. They put forward some points that seem to be based on lack of knowledge of the Bitcoin concept and some regular misconceptions.  

*it's infrastructure is designed that those who purchased early will have more value in their investment than those who came later.  (This also makes it questionable the motives of people who want others participating in bitcoin being as they have the potential to personally profit from another person buying into the program, very similar to a pyramid scheme.)  

The former is true, but that applies to stocks in a start up company as well, or any other commodity that gains popularity (gold, silver). The latter is an very limited view on Bitcoin users. While I cannot vouch of everyone's intentions, especially the Thrive Movement should be able to see the stunning potential of Bitcoin for a decentralized open source 'community' currency, gaining users TODAY who see that potential (besides some financial gains as early adopter). I do not advocate Bitcoin actively, but I would not do so based on the prospect of financial gain but the possibility to protect once's capital (and solve some horrible things in our world). From my perspective, this point fails.

*It's also vulnerable to collusion and as well as nefarious participants from creating large scale mining operations of bitcoins making them potentially accessible only to those with a large computer network focused specifically on mining bitcoins.  

Mining is a voluntary business. Don't want to make the investement, don't do it. Bitcoin can also be used without mining on your personal computer at home. Mining is in essence really not interesting for the average user, just like interbank market or TARGET2 workings in regular finance. It only has to work as a means of payment (we'll get to that later). Furthermore, mining is an essential part of Bitcoin's concept, so it is not about obtaining Bitcoins to become rich on the backs of later adopters, but making the concept work. In the end, mining will only be about fees since the new amount of Bitcoins will decrease over time to a certain maximum.

This point fails as well.

*The other element is the security of ones wealth.  There have been a couple large scale robberies of bitcoins with no way to track the thieves and no guarantee that the owners of the bitcoins will ever see their money again.  Security is still a significant issue.

MF Global: unresolved, no one held accountable. I could list countless other examples of 'money gone, no culprits'. Someone stealing BTC or defrauding people from BTC is nothing new. It happens in USD/EUR land as well, massively and daily. Let's not forget the skimming of fiat value by the issuers of fiat curreny Shocked

Robbery is always an item of interest and not specifically related to or excessively present with Bitcoin. Having made that point, Bitcoin does require the user to think about safety. The safety of his own digital wallet instead of forgetting all about this when storing digital cash in a regular bank. Well, I would think that the Thrive Movement would not have problems with the notion that people should be aware and act for themselves  Kiss

I consider this point a fail as well.

*Also, bitcoins suffer from the same issues as other fia currency.  The big difference is that it is not clear there are any real assets backing them, making their worth even more vulnerable to large value swings.

When thinking this over, gold and silver are not backed as well. It's just gold and silver, no more no less. Of course, gold and silver can be uses for several things, but their value is in essence the same as Bitcoin:  'want' by humans. Backing with an asset is not necessarily a requirement for a currency to work (see USD/EUR).

I consider this a semi-fail.

*Last, a currency only has value if it can be exchanged for something of equal value to the recipient of the bitcoins.  If we are paid in bitcoins, we have to also be able to pay others in bitcoins for them to be of value.  But as it stands, there are limited things we can use the money for and our operations would quickly go under due to lack of useable funds unless we sell them for cash dollars, in which case we're back to the commodity argument.  Donations in the form of bitcoins are of limited value, if any, if they can't pay to keep the lights on and the computers running, etc.  

This point makes sense: if Bitcoins cannot be used to pay regular invoices, its practical use is and will remain limited. I cannot disagree with this notion but we are still in the very early stage of development. There will be a lot of time to sort out these things and all things have to start somewhere. Today is not the end; some 'inventions' never take off while others require up to 20 years to mature and be adopted by the masses. Thrive's remark that the useability of Bitcoin is still limited is true. I think the exchanges are still very important to Bitcoin and its future acceptance. Gradually, their importance should decrease as people will start to exchange in Bitcoin instead of fiat.

Again, I am not very disturbed by Thrive's stand on Bitcoin, but from where they come (with pretty outlandish claims and a very healthy dose of positivism on humanity), they show an awful lot of common thinking when it comes to finance. One would think that the Thrive Movement would have better feelings for the concept of a digital currency 'for the people, by the people'.

Time will tell the real color of the Thrive Movement...

ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 08:45:37 PM

Sounds like Thrive is full of old-school gold bugs who want metal backing of all currency.  

The fact that they linked to Solidcoin's blog is a pretty good indicator of their level of technical savviness.

EDIT:

Oh dear...

Watch this:

Their film is about using "energy technology" from UFOs to make free energy.  These are bunch of crackpots we don't want associated with Bitcoin.

HAHHAHA nice.  I'll bet they think the Rothschild family reads their minds when they sleep too.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 11:01:13 PM

that's one ugly/useless reference list they've used there.
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 02:52:39 AM

It's sad that he can't see that his attitude is self perpetuating. Yes, of course, you cannot pay for everything right now with bitcoins. But that will only be the case for as long as people continue to think (and act) along these lines. I expect more from supposed higher consciousness fellows looking to change the status quo.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2012, 03:21:51 AM

"Hi, I am Herp Derpinton, and I have discovered an answer to life, universe and everything. Let me introduce my free energy machine from aliens. I could have just build it and sold it to millions, end the starvation, wars and poverty while making money myself, but hey! Why not just make a stupid movie and ask for donations?"

And now my question to osmosis: Why did you contacted those people? How can they help Bitcoin economy?

The anti-bitcoin arguments, however stupit they may seems to be, were reasonable and expected from non-technical person.
I just think we have to forget about real advantages of bitcoin while presenting it to public and make a good marketing strategy based on regular bullshit that people want to hear instead.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2012, 04:06:04 AM

"Hi, I am Herp Derpinton, and I have discovered an answer to life, universe and everything. Let me introduce my free energy machine from aliens. I could have just build it and sold it to millions, end the starvation, wars and poverty while making money myself, but hey! Why not just make a stupid movie and ask for donations?"

And now my question to osmosis: Why did you contacted those people? How can they help Bitcoin economy?

Herp?!?  OMG it's been forever.  How the hell are you?  Did you recover from that nasty thing we caught in Panama City?

I'll invest all my Bitcoins in your new project.  It couldn't do any worse than BitcoinMax and the Gamma Fund, so what the Hell...

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
RyanRed

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 08:55:23 AM

I actually just watched this movie the other day. Interesting to see this info here now...

BlackHeartFund

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 10:59:17 AM

Those people are insane, I am glad that they don't want to use BTC.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2012, 03:50:19 PM

ok guys, who of you was it?  Angry

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
ChrisKoss

Activity: 169

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 01:00:02 AM

Seriously.  Every VC in the country would be lining up to throw money at you if you had a working prototype.

I am a consultant providing services to CoinLab, Inc.
osmosis (OP)

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 01:18:06 AM

Because they put a lot of money into making a film which has a whole segment about the evils and abuses of the bankers and fed, and they are trying to create a movement to change the world. I thought that this might be enough common ground that they could accept bitpay/BTC along side paypal/USD on their website ... since bitcoin is a real existing solution to the problem they propose. Hey...bitcoin doesn't discriminate. I am all for getting the space alien energy people involved... I bet people who believe in alien energy generators probably out number bitcoin users.
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 01:34:02 AM

EDIT:

Oh dear...

Watch this:

I didn't watch it but, I know that Nikola Tesla made a lot of cool things that we do not use today, as global wireless free electricity.
ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 03:15:43 AM

Here's a post debunking the entire movie.  Enjoy!

http://thrivedebunked.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/global-domination-agenda-debunked/

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
Bia Yao Ma

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 05:28:53 AM

Does anyone really take these kinds of claims seriously?
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 05:41:08 AM

Thrive seems like a commercial reaction to the Zeitgeist Movement. They're in it for the money, not the possibility of a better world for all people.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: