Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:44:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I may be moving to this town  (Read 871 times)
jlauzon (OP)

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 04:48:25 AM

I have to call these guys to see what I'm looking at for fees & taxes under Plan 1 (below). Whatever this "PPAC" sort of leaves this a mystery right now. Thoughts?

http://www.massenaelectric.com/businesscustomer/nonresidentialrates.htm

Commercial without Demand   
(small general service - Demand under 7kW)   

Customer Charge   $5.00   
Energy Charge ($/kWh)$   0.04309   
Purchased Power Adjustment Charge (PPAC)   fluctuates   
Sales Tax   7.25%

"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 05:50:24 AM

What I really wish is we could get some of the miners together and find a place with cheap electricity.   If a group went together and put together a low priced asic data center.   No middle man on paying extra for hosting. 

I know I would love to be apart of some type of project like that.   I'm honestly surprised it has not happened yet (that I know of)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 10:18:09 AM

I suspect there are quite a few "miners" that have moved to Washington in the last couple of years....

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 12:31:49 PM

I suspect there are quite a few "miners" that have moved to Washington in the last couple of years....

I think most are talk on this.  They talk about it, and it does not happen.   

But if a group came together to do a cheap data center I think it would work out pretty good.  But hard to get that many interested in a project.
GreatNorthData

Activity: 105
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 01:40:07 PM

But if a group came together to do a cheap data center I think it would work out pretty good.  But hard to get that many interested in a project.

Well its complicated, you have to raise the funds, supervise construction and then have someone on site. 10TH doesn't need someone there 24/7 for maintenance but 500TH definitely does. Machines will fail and parts will need to be installed/RMA'd. I think a lot of people don't get passed the planning phase because of the sheer cost and complexity of the whole operation. Most people at the start of planning don't think to locate a nearby apartment or build one into their DC.

A co-op might work, but it would probably just be a "corporation" by the time you figure the rest out.

That all being said, when we started advertising to the public earlier this year the typical hosting cost was $90/kW, which we undercut significantly, and I think our rates have pulled most of the competition down towards our $60/kW. Give us another few months and we'll lower the floor again.

Lowest-Cost Miner Hosting:  greatnorthdata.com
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 06:03:49 PM

Well its complicated, you have to raise the funds, supervise construction and then have someone on site. 10TH doesn't need someone there 24/7 for maintenance but 500TH definitely does. Machines will fail and parts will need to be installed/RMA'd. I think a lot of people don't get passed the planning phase because of the sheer cost and complexity of the whole operation. Most people at the start of planning don't think to locate a nearby apartment or build one into their DC.

A co-op might work, but it would probably just be a "corporation" by the time you figure the rest out.

That all being said, when we started advertising to the public earlier this year the typical hosting cost was $90/kW, which we undercut significantly, and I think our rates have pulled most of the competition down towards our $60/kW. Give us another few months and we'll lower the floor again.

I think it is still possible to work if the right people did  it.    Will it happen... i don't know.  Hard to get that initial group to front money. 

What is your lower floor in a few months?  That would be interesting to know.
GreatNorthData

Activity: 105
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 10:01:53 PM

I think it is still possible to work if the right people did  it.    Will it happen... i don't know.  Hard to get that initial group to front money. 

What is your lower floor in a few months?  That would be interesting to know.

Hard to say, market factors will dictate. But everyone in this business knows that hosting cost is in a long term race to the bottom. I'd be shocked if we weren't at least down to $50/kw as our headline rate by summer 2016.

Lowest-Cost Miner Hosting:  greatnorthdata.com
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 10:07:23 PM

Under 7KW is nothing.  You will go over that plan with ease especially if this is also where you live.

I have about 68KW of miners at my house and I typically spike the power to 82KW.

I would plan on a 20KW to 100KW plan and if you can not get to 20KW rent some power out to host miners.

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 11:17:42 PM

Why not Labrador, Canada? Grin
jlauzon (OP)

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 11:56:43 PM

Under 7KW is nothing.  You will go over that plan with ease especially if this is also where you live.

I have about 68KW of miners at my house and I typically spike the power to 82KW.

I would plan on a 20KW to 100KW plan and if you can not get to 20KW rent some power out to host miners.

I had no illusions of grandeur with that kind of plan. Just a couple of newer miners if/when they make sense. The link has the larger commercial/industrial rates though.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 03:45:12 AM

I had no illusions of grandeur with that kind of plan. Just a couple of newer miners if/when they make sense. The link has the larger commercial/industrial rates though.

I think it will take the trust of some of the older members.  I still think it can be done, just have not seen a good coordination of it.

But a miner co-op could really work if anyone launches one.  I still hope to see one someday.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 10:12:13 AM

Why not Labrador, Canada? Grin

There's life in Labrador?

8-P

Washington

Probably so - I'm still talk for now, but do have serious plans for next summer.
 Had tentative plans for November timeframe, but the finances aren't comming together as well as I hoped.
 I also suspect that many of the folks that HAVE moved just aren't talking about it, or aren't active on bitcointalk.
 I HAVE noticed a few "looking for site" ads on the applicable Craigslist, and note that they don't seem to last long - but ONLY a few of them.

Most people at the start of planning don't think to locate a nearby apartment or build one into their DC.

[/quote}

I ran my own business for about 10 years, most of that time I had a small "apartment" area in the back of the "shop". Nothing new there for me.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: