Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:59:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $1,500 FOR BLOCKPROOF.COM  (Read 824 times)
bitcoinmuseum (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 10:42:55 AM

I got offered $1,500 USD for a domain I own called blockproof.com. I bought it a few years ago to build something around blockchain time stamping or smart contracts. I have had other things distract me from this and I got a phone call the other day with the offer. Buyer wants it for some kind of ad blocking site, not even blockchain related.

Should I accept the offer, or should I hold out for more down the road?

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 10:47:43 AM

That's a pretty good offer already... Not sure if it will net you more if you sell it further down the road for blockchain related things. But if you can risk it, then do it. As for me I'd probably sell it now Smiley
bitcoinmuseum (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 10:51:54 AM

That's a pretty good offer already... Not sure if it will net you more if you sell it further down the road for blockchain related things. But if you can risk it, then do it. As for me I'd probably sell it now Smiley

Thanks Unamis, that seems to be the general consensus so far. I dont really need the money thanks to btc, but its definitely a nice chunk to have.
foodstamps

Activity: 938
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 11:05:10 AM

Take the money. The domain is worth $10 at best so you are getting a great deal. There is nothing unique about the domain, and you could come up with another 100 just like it.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 11:13:29 AM

Already a good offer. If I were you, I'd probably take the money and use the proceeds to do some bitcoin-related projects. Smiley

50cent_rapper
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 11:32:40 AM

Take the money and run!!!
bitcoinmuseum (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 12:04:54 PM

I was hoping someone would say to hold out for more...but I will trust the room.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1049

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 12:33:40 PM

I was hoping someone would say to hold out for more...but I will trust the room.
You wont probably get any better. But, make sure you get that. There are many scammers in bitcoin world, who will charge back after payment. So, better take the money in BTC.

Nobitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

In holiday we trust

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 12:41:22 PM

Never take the first offer. Ask for $2000 you never know you might make another $250 on top !
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 12:45:49 PM

I'd take it.  It's just a domain that your probably paid $8.99 for. There are so many TLDs now, people can easily find the name they are looking for under a different TLD.

bitcoinmuseum (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 12:46:53 PM

Never take the first offer. Ask for $2000 you never know you might make another $250 on top !

Good call, thanks
DFS

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 01:12:52 PM

You could possibly put the domain up for auction on a domain marketplace. Chances are, there might be many other potential buys interested in paying top dollar for the domain name.

However, the price that has been offered to you is very good. You should probably accept the offer, but keep the domain auction idea for future reference maybe  Smiley
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 01:15:23 PM

Or they'll shop elsewhere. Tricky one. I'd grab and run.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1571

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 01:17:33 PM

Good call, thanks

You should do as much research as possible before asking them for specific amount. Check whether it's a large company or small, what their financial position is etc. That makes huge difference for you. If the company operates in $millions then there's a big chance they would agree to say $5k, as it's not justified for them to spend too much time negotiating trivial amounts.

In some cases, certain departments are keen on paying more to make sure they use their budget to the max, but I wouldn't count on it. Also, from company's point of view, the money they pay for the domain will likely be classed as an investment (in intangible asset) not as operating expense.

Let us know how it went.

Good luck

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
maokoto

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 01:31:02 PM

I got offered $1,500 USD for a domain I own called blockproof.com. I bought it a few years ago to build something around blockchain time stamping or smart contracts. I have had other things distract me from this and I got a phone call the other day with the offer. Buyer wants it for some kind of ad blocking site, not even blockchain related.

Should I accept the offer, or should I hold out for more down the road?

I think you should accept it.

If the offer was related to blockchain, you could think "well, perhaps more blockchain interested people would show up". But the fact that the person who called you is not even interested in blockchain is like a signal that this is a unique opportunity.

bitcoinmuseum (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 02:08:59 PM

Wink

Good call, thanks

You should do as much research as possible before asking them for specific amount. Check whether it's a large company or small, what their financial position is etc. That makes huge difference for you. If the company operates in $millions then there's a big chance they would agree to say $5k, as it's not justified for them to spend too much time negotiating trivial amounts.

In some cases, certain departments are keen on paying more to make sure they use their budget to the max, but I wouldn't count on it. Also, from company's point of view, the money they pay for the domain will likely be classed as an investment (in intangible asset) not as operating expense.

Let us know how it went.

Good luck

Good call, and I did do a little research. Turns out its a small ad firm in Culver City.  Also he seems to know a thing or two about the domain flipping game from what I can tell from out conversation.

I will definitely let everyone know how it turns out...

Thanks everyone for your input. Its helping a lot.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 02:14:41 PM

Also, try to ask the potential buyer if they could buy the domain by paying you with bitcoins instead of paying from a credit card. In that way you can avoid a potential chargeback in case you handed over the access to the domain and they want to scam you.

neoneros

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I can draw your avatar!

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 02:28:31 PM

I am waiting for that comment till after you have sold for the $1.500. Then it will be nagging you for the rest of your life Tongue

thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 05:57:51 PM

I would probably sell it. But then again, you never know if in 10 years Bitcoin will be all over the place and someone comes up with a great idea related to "blockproof" and wants that domain at all costs and you are missing on a bigger deal. Of course you never know, the only thing we know is you can have 1,500 now.
bytezero

Activity: 414
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 05:58:58 PM

You should sell it for even $100, that domain value is not very high as you will have to invest a lot of money to win just $1500
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: