Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:23:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Iran can't print paper, guy tells them to use BitCoin  (Read 11520 times)
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 10:37:51 AM
Last edit: October 18, 2012, 11:07:12 AM by conspirosphere.tk

Problem is: how could they buy bitcoins? With their funny money?
Maybe they could try to sell some oil for BTC.
Anyone on the BTC market for a tanker or two of oil?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 10:52:05 AM

In some ways Litecoin might be a more reasonable alternative for Iranians. At this point Iran can't buy the equipment with which to mine BTC in any significant volume, and individuals who do posses GPUS (and there are lots of gamers in Iran) don't have enough power to mine BTC either.

Seeing as Iranians would a) be most likely be wary of trading large amounts of Cash for Bitcoins that they can't make themselves, and b) who would trade Bitcoins for Iranian cash anyway, Litecoin might be a more reasonable alternative. The difficulty is still low enough that people can at least mine a FEW coins thus giving them a chance to develop a coin economy within their economic terrarium.

more or less retired.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 11:06:28 AM

To bad they cant download the software easily.

Solution

Nice solution, then the SS will show up at your door, and arrest you, hold you for months until they discover the coins you sent are not being used to support their nuclear plant.
blablahblah

Activity: 775

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 11:38:42 AM

Problem is: how could they buy bitcoins? With their funny money?
Maybe they could try to sell some oil for BTC.
Anyone on the BTC market for a tanker or two of oil?

Why buy bitcoins when you've got cheap electricity from the ground, and computers from China?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:02:36 PM

How to download: use vpn/tor, go on bitcoin website, clic download button. Done.  Smiley

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:07:34 PM

use vpn/tor

More details plz
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:29:16 PM

In some ways Litecoin might be a more reasonable alternative for Iranians. At this point Iran can't buy the equipment with which to mine BTC in any significant volume, and individuals who do posses GPUS (and there are lots of gamers in Iran) don't have enough power to mine BTC either.

Seeing as Iranians would a) be most likely be wary of trading large amounts of Cash for Bitcoins that they can't make themselves, and b) who would trade Bitcoins for Iranian cash anyway, Litecoin might be a more reasonable alternative. The difficulty is still low enough that people can at least mine a FEW coins thus giving them a chance to develop a coin economy within their economic terrarium.

1.) they don't need to mine

2.) Iranian individuals have gold

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
bytedisorder

Activity: 489
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 12:45:37 PM

Obama is terrible, look at the chilling effect. People are afraid to speak their minds in the US. As terrible at GWDummyBush was people were not fearful to speak freely back then.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 03:58:11 PM

http://coinworker.com/

design / coding for btc

DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 05:12:43 PM

Correct me if i am wrong, but the "exporting cryptography is illegal" thing is false today. It was true tons of years ago, but not now.

And yes, bitcoin is ideal for Iran. Just download a small software and ta-dah, you are connected to a world-wide, secure, fast and efficient payment/money/whatelse system  Smiley

And yes, i too think that iran people are mostly good guys, the government is epic fail, but you can't blame the whole population for the errors of the government!

"the government is epic fail" That's only what we know from the mass media, I'm not so sure that their Govt are so much of a failure.. IMO, this his what the 1%ers want us to beleive !

Anyone talked to actual iranian ?  Anyone have friend / relative in this country that they communicate with ?

I'm convinced that US and CAN Govt really are epic fail !  As not a mass media listener, I can't tell about what they want us to beleive.. Be carefull, dont take those TVs for truth teller, thoses TVs are mass-propaganda tool.. search the web, give it a try !  Google it !

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 06:30:50 PM

Have anyone tried to contact President of Iran or Ministry of Security and Intelligence of Iran on this matter? Because without supreme approval of Iranian government Bitcoin will not function in Iran. Bitcoin protocol is neither obfuscated or encrypted on packet level and it is easily blocked on ISP level.

With government adopting BTC as a payment instrument alongside gold and euro is a great tool to damage USA dollar. Expect to bitcoins become outlawed in all zionist controlled states. But the Iran is known to reject or be overly suspicious about some new things, like wikileaks.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 06:35:04 PM

Bitcoin protocol is neither obfuscated or encrypted on packet level and it is easily blocked on ISP level.
But it's obfuscated and encrypted on TOR and VPN  Wink

As for what DoomDumas  said, i think that iranian people are people like us but their government isn't exactly a good one

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 06:38:53 PM

Bitcoin protocol is neither obfuscated or encrypted on packet level and it is easily blocked on ISP level.
But it's obfuscated and encrypted on TOR and VPN  Wink

As for what DoomDumas  said, i think that iranian people are people like us but their government isn't exactly a good one
Tor does not work in Iran. VPN work only for "selected" people.

Iranian people are muslims. For atheist like me they are OK as long as they identify themselves for Aryans. Read history books about Hitler and Iran! But don't post your wrong opinion about Iranian government. Without revolutionary government Iran will be another puppet state to jew zionist conspiracy.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Arto
Donator

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 08:56:25 PM

Tor does not work in Iran. VPN work only for "selected" people.

Tor does work in Iran, it's just more complicated and the Tor Project have had to be increasingly clever to "route around the damage":

Tor usage in Iran has made a full recovery days after the Iranian government started blocking encrypted Internet traffic.

Last Friday, the number of Iranian users connecting to the Internet through Tor's anonymizing network had plummeted from roughly 50,000 per day to nearly zero. By Sunday, however, Tor usage was back to normal and expected usage levels, according to updated metrics provided by the Tor Project.

In response to Iranian censorship, Tor Project leaders rolled out a new obfuscated bridge that allows Iranians to circumvent the blockages and connect to the Internet through Tor once again. It's unclear if the recovery in Internet connections is due primarily to steps taken by Tor and its users, but the government's latest censorship program does not appear to have ended.

bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 09:38:05 PM

What stops them from downloading just like anybody else?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
Arto
Donator

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 09:40:04 PM

What stops them from downloading just like anybody else?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/10/09/as-inflation-rages-in-iran-bitcoin-software-not-available/

dirtycat

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 10:41:31 PM

easy solution.. have a contact outside of the country send them a copy.. better yet have a trusted source set up a mirror.

poop!
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 07:29:46 AM

Iranian people are muslims. For atheist like me they are OK as long as they identify themselves for Aryans. Read history books about Hitler and Iran! But don't post your wrong opinion about Iranian government. Without revolutionary government Iran will be another puppet state to jew zionist conspiracy.

I won't even try to interpret any sense into that.
/ignore

Ente
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 10:55:54 AM

Getting enough* Bitcoins into Iran to have a meaningful economy in BTC there might be a harder task than getting the blocks/transactions to/from miners or the software into Iran. Unless someone is helping people there (meaning: Bitcoin websites/documentation/information/services in farsi!) I just don't see it happening. What about great concepts that would benefit people in the US a lot, but they are only documented + in use in Suaheli for example? Technology and ideas are not just generated and implemented in the english speaking world or the US and then dribble down to the "more stupid and underdeveloped" parts of the world (yes, I'm exaggerating)...

Either someone donates a whole bunch of BTC into Iran and finds a way to randomly distribute them similar to mining (which at current difficulties + USD prices is not really an option there) so they can bootstrap or there's another way how to exchange goods/gold/iranian money for BTC that we need to establish and haven't thought about yet.

* Yes, I know in theory "you can run a whole economy off of 1 single BTC!!!11121!". Currently however NOT without introducing questionable concepts like colored coins making 1 coin not equal to another coin. Otherwise there would be always the lurking threat of someone coming into Iran with 10 BTC he bought for ~100 USD and having a buying power many times that.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 04:50:16 PM

Otherwise there would be always the lurking threat of someone coming into Iran with 10 BTC he bought for ~100 USD and having a buying power many times that.

But the "lurking threat" you fear is exactly this works.

That is showing how someone with $100 quickly saw that amount's buying power (in terms of Iranian rial / IRR) doubled in just a few weeks.   It sucks for those who were late to get rid of their rials, or never exchanged them out at all, but the end result is more dollars moved in a result of that increase in buying power.

If Bitcoins trade at a premium because they are scarce, more will be drawn in by the increase in the buying power of those bitcoins.  Since bitcoins can flow easier (i.e., electronically) than dollars do, which do you think is capable of reaching market equilibrium first?   On one hand you have bitcoins that can be received by millions of Iranians with family abroad who can receive bitcoins via a mobile or PC.  On the other you have paper money that must be smuggled through border crossings, or dribbled through via travelers from abroad or the few other entry vectors.

Of course, we all are well aware that bitcoin doesn't just explode onto the scene, but it probably does have a role that can be significant for both Bitcoin and for the pioneers who use it

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █