Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:45:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Circle Spanks Bitcoin with Account Restrictions, Bitcoin-Free Ads, and Limits  (Read 1567 times)
MicroGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 02:18:20 AM

As new rumors begin swirling about possible insider hanky panky at Bitpay, another giant in the industry is wreaking havoc on the Bitcoin community.

Circle Internet Financial, a Boston company specializing in global money transfers, has stopped mentioning Bitcoin in its advertising, put an end to instant ACH bitcoin purchases, and severely restricted the amount of BTC users can send and withdraw. Basically, it appears that Circle simply used the bitcoin community to jump-start another Venmo type venture and is now ready to move on to phase two of their master plan.

The following video was published yesterday and now headlines the company’s website. It contains no mention whatsoever of Bitcoin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ojmQoesKS4

In addition to removing Bitcoin from its advertising, the company is also strongly encouraging all users to convert their balances to USD, and now forces a pop-up during login – with the option to stick with Bitcoin all but greyed out. And to add insult to injury, the company has disabled instant ACH purchases of bitcoin, and placed tight restrictions on the amount of bitcoin that can be sent during any given week.

Some community members are hot under the collar after discovering it will take weeks, and in some instances months, to move their stored bitcoins out of their Circle accounts.

Circle interestingly decided to make this move at a time when they had a cover story related to their new $5,000 Bitlicense, which is peanuts compared to the New York money transmitter license which they needed anyway to conduct their non-bitcoin related money sending activities.

Of course, many Bitcoin industry publications fell for the shell game – hook, line, and sinker – and wrote glowing articles about the Bitlicense achievement whilst ignoring the fact that Circle has just thrust a butcher’s knife squarely into the back of Satoshi and his digital-coin dreams.

Full Story: http://altcoinpress.com/2015/09/circle-spanks-bitcoin-with-account-restrictions-bitcoin-free-ads-and-sending-limits/
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 03:48:28 AM

Disappointment.

Circle RIP.
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 10:02:17 AM

Welcome to the corporate takeover of Bitcoin. Looks like the party is over and no time to clean up before mom and dad get home!

romjpn

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 10:04:55 AM

I will follow that closely.
For the moment it's still a good service to buy small amounts of bitcoins instantly with a CC.

---~~~***~~~--- http://InvestBitcoinGuide.com ---~~~***~~~---
Invest your bitcoins/altcoins into legit businesses. Get solid returns !
We hate scams and ponzis !
|Bitcoin|

Activity: 320
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 10:07:37 AM

It is a big backstab! We the people of bitcoin nation cannot stay silent. We should immediately stop using their app until we receive good answer from their team. I can't stay behind this huge backstab.
fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 05:59:39 PM

I will follow that closely.
For the moment it's still a good service to buy small amounts of bitcoins instantly with a CC.

I've heard you can't buy BTC instantly with CC anymore. Just debit card. I don't care to use Circle to verify this however, I'm just walking away.
I'm sorry I ever gave a good review for them.
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 07:02:16 PM

I just closed my circle account.  Very disappointing.  I'm using coinbase till Gemini launches.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 08:41:59 PM

Bitcoin don't need corp.
Like all P2P network ... it work ALONE.
PolarPoint

Activity: 672

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 08:54:37 PM

I visited Circle's site minutes ago. There is no mention of bitcoin anywhere now. So, what will Circle become without bitcoin? Money transfer service like PayPal. That is a step backward. What a waste of their bitlicense.

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 08:59:45 PM

Who cares?

They are not the only player in town...

I visited Circle's site minutes ago. There is no mention of bitcoin anywhere now. So, what will Circle become without bitcoin? Money transfer service like PayPal. That is a step backward. What a waste of their bitlicense.

Go home, you're drunk.

MicroGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 09:01:43 PM

I think this was a business decision based at least partly on the fact that bitcoin core development has reached a standstill. It's pretty obvious to anyone that looks carefully that bitcoin is badly broken in terms of development innovation, adaptation, and growth.

Circle has too much invested to just sit around and wait for the core team to get their act together. We'll probably see a continued business exodus and overall market disintegration until the core team can find some agreement and direction.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 09:37:03 PM

I think this was a business decision based at least partly on the fact that bitcoin core development has reached a standstill. It's pretty obvious to anyone that looks carefully that bitcoin is badly broken in terms of development innovation, adaptation, and growth.

Circle has too much invested to just sit around and wait for the core team to get their act together. We'll probably see a continued business exodus and overall market disintegration until the core team can find some agreement and direction.

My take is that this is a direct result of the 1 MB blocksize limit. If Bitcoin cannot grow, while Circle wishes to grow as a company they have to do something.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 09:47:15 PM

I agree that if it is because of the block size issue they do need to grow but they should give credit where credit is due.

If they are using bitcoin as the network to jump start their company and to facilitate money transfers they should say how they are doing it even in a general sense.

I watched the video and yup they are really trying to distance themselves from bitcoin.

Wow just wow...

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 01:34:06 AM

I agree that if it is because of the block size issue they do need to grow but they should give credit where credit is due.

If they are using bitcoin as the network to jump start their company and to facilitate money transfers they should say how they are doing it even in a general sense.

I watched the video and yup they are really trying to distance themselves from bitcoin.

Wow just wow...

Unfortunatly this may be a sign of things to come. There is a chilling silence from Winklevoss twins and thier ETF for example. I have sold over 99% of my Bitcoins for a combination of Monero and Canadian Dollars, not because of fungibility, but because of the 1 MB blocksize issue. I understand where Circle is coming from.

Edit: The real problem is: How will Bitcoin develop a fee market once the emission runs out? This is the real reason why there has not been a solution to the blocksize issue.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
rychallenge

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 01:45:09 AM

And here we thought circle was our new saviour for USD to BTC.
Darn you circle
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 01:48:04 AM

I just closed my circle account.  Very disappointing.  I'm using coinbase till Gemini launches.

I used coinbase a while back but recently stuck with using circle, because at the time, it was a very convenient way to sync my bank account info to the site and by bitcoins using my checking account.  Just as of now, I tried to buy a good bit of bitcoin and they gave me around 40% of my initial deposit in bitcoin and then told me to wait 4 business days so now I have to wait for the next week to get the rest of my bitcoins in.  It's just a very inconvenient way to purchase bitcoins, but I guess I'll have to use coinbase now to buy in the meantime, because of the fact that there is no one around me that uses localbitcoins for me to buy.

Circle definitely gave the bitcoin community the long hard shaft on this one.

BurnRubber

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 04:17:33 AM

I've heard you can't buy BTC instantly with CC anymore. Just debit card. I don't care to use Circle to verify this however, I'm just walking away.
I'm sorry I ever gave a good review for them.

It has only ever been a U.S CC and debit card anyway. So many companies ride Bitcoin only to get off when they've captured a user base. Personally I think that's a mistake longterm, but short term a large amount of companies don't see profits and adoption as quickly as they (their investors) would have liked to. I think if they build it with Bitcoin in mind they can use Bitcoin/blockchain as a rail, and then bring it to the front/back of the dashboard as they please. I think many of these companies are underestimating the Bitcoin effect though.

Many people are loyal to a company just because the company did something for Bitcoin, take that away and then I think you might well get a house of cards situation.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 04:19:20 AM

Wow just wow...

Unfortunatly this may be a sign of things to come. There is a chilling silence from Winklevoss twins and thier ETF for example. I have sold over 99% of my Bitcoins for a combination of Monero and Canadian Dollars, not because of fungibility, but because of the 1 MB blocksize issue. I understand where Circle is coming from.

Edit: The real problem is: How will Bitcoin develop a fee market once the emission runs out? This is the real reason why there has not been a solution to the blocksize issue.

Good point. How can you have a fee market with no block reward?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 04:39:35 AM

Wow!  It looks likes it's beginning....the forces that be are leaning a little hard on the early adopters and they're back pedaling.  Circle has always seemed to be a little on the centralization and regulatory side of things...let the weak hands fall and it will open the doors for somebody else to provide the services.   
subwoofer12

Activity: 251
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 05:15:21 AM

Lol at the $300/week sell limits

But three weeks ago I could sell this much

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: