Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:44:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Transferfing balance from Satoshi Client to Blockchain.info/wallet questions  (Read 5872 times)
Daily Anarchist (OP)

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 12:08:42 AM

I've recently got a new computer and am running Fedora on it, which basically makes it impossible for me to run the Satoshi client until the devs go out of their way to build an rpm.

My old computer was/is running Ubuntu. I've had to do a clean install in the hopes of fixing some major issues it has. It crashes a lot and when it does that it screws up Bitcoin's ability to load the block index. So, I'll spend a bunch of time trying to load the entire blockchain so that I can access my full balance, but before the entire blockchain finishes downloading, my computer crashes again, thus screwing up the block index, meaning I need to reinstall the Satoshi Client all over again. So, I'm done with that. I'm ready to toss my old computer into the garbage bin.

Actually, I'm thinking about installing Windows XP on there. My first question is can I put a wallet.dat file that I had from Ubuntu into my Windows Bitcoin wallet and get my balance? If so, then at least I can transfer my balance into a blockchain.info/wallet.

My next question has to do with the safety of the blockchain.info/wallets.

I'm able to backup an encrypted wallet and send it to my email. That's nice. The website claims that it, or Multibit can import the wallet. What about Mt. Gox? For example, if I can't get Multibit running on my Fedora, and if for any reason blockchain.info goes down permanently, how else can I get my balance back?

My last and most important question is about the security of the blockchain.info wallet. Right now when I decrypt my blockchain.info/wallet I do it through a browser. Blockchain.info uses GoDaddy as their certificate authority, which means they have access to every password that gets used to decrypt wallets. Not only do I not trust GoDaddy, I don't trust the entire Certificate Authority system at all, since I don't trust any corporate entity, period. Can somebody address these concerns? Am I missing something? Does GoDaddy really not have access to the passwords to our wallets?

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:19:20 AM

What's this? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=102650.0 Wink

And yes, you can move your wallet.dat to another computer with some other OS and it will work.
YOu'll just need to Detach databases at shutdown(mark it on the Options screen), replace the wallet.dat(if you had another wallet.dat in there) and run Bitcoin with the -rescan flag so it can fetch all the transactions for the addresses on your wallet.
Daily Anarchist (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 12:21:09 AM

And yes, you can move your wallet.dat to another computer with some other OS and it will work.
YOu'll just need to Detach databases at shutdown(mark it on the Options screen), replace the wallet.dat(if you had another wallet.dat in there) and run Bitcoin with the -rescan flag so it can fetch all the transactions for the addresses on your wallet.

Did you finished the thread? You'll see how I'm F'ed and not able to install Bitcoin Satoshi Client on Fedora.

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2117

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:21:57 AM

I've recently got a new computer and am running Fedora on it, which basically makes it impossible for me to run the Satoshi client until the devs go out of their way to build an rpm.

My old computer was/is running Ubuntu. I've had to do a clean install in the hopes of fixing some major issues it has. It crashes a lot and when it does that it screws up Bitcoin's ability to load the block index. So, I'll spend a bunch of time trying to load the entire blockchain so that I can access my full balance, but before the entire blockchain finishes downloading, my computer crashes again, thus screwing up the block index, meaning I need to reinstall the Satoshi Client all over again. So, I'm done with that. I'm ready to toss my old computer into the garbage bin.

Actually, I'm thinking about installing Windows XP on there. My first question is can I put a wallet.dat file that I had from Ubuntu into my Windows Bitcoin wallet and get my balance? If so, then at least I can transfer my balance into a blockchain.info/wallet.

I'm able to backup an encrypted wallet and send it to my email. That's nice. The website claims that it, or Multibit can import the wallet. What about Mt. Gox? For example, if I can't get Multibit running on my Fedora, and if for any reason blockchain.info goes down permanently, how else can I get my balance back?

My last and most important question is about the security of the blockchain.info wallet. Right now when I decrypt my blockchain.info/wallet I do it through a browser. Blockchain.info uses GoDaddy as their certificate authority, which means they have access to every password that gets used to decrypt wallets. Not only do I not trust GoDaddy, I don't trust the entire Certificate Authority system at all, since I don't trust any corporate entity, period. Can somebody address these concerns? Am I missing something? Does GoDaddy really not have access to the passwords to our wallets?

All GoDaddy does is sign the certificates that the web server presents to you. It's all about a chain of trust and they never see your passwords or have any interaction with the server at all. It's a process worth understanding as from what I understand, similar principles are used in bitcoin itself.  

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:23:23 AM

Also, there's no reason you couldn't install bitcoin wallet on Fedora. Not everything has to be in a RPM

Daily Anarchist (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 12:24:38 AM

All GoDaddy does is sign the certificates that the web server presents to you. It's all about a chain of trust and they never see your passwords or have any interaction with the server at all. It's a process worth understanding as from what I understand, similar principles are used in bitcoin itself.  

Interesting. So the Certificate is actually issued by blockchain.info but signed for trust by GoDaddy? I was under the (false?) impression that corporations like GoDaddy actually issued the certificates.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:25:11 AM

Did you finished the thread? You'll see how I'm F'ed and not able to install Bitcoin Satoshi Client on Fedora.

I re-read it again and don't see where you say you tried to use the rpm at the thread I linked you and the install failed. All I see is that you use Fedora and there is no rpm, which isn't true. Huh
You can't install Bitcoin-Qt 0.7 but 0.6.3 is there.
Ofcourse if you're using 0.7 already on Ubuntu I'm not sure if the wallet.dat file will be compatible with 0.6.3
Daily Anarchist (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 12:25:52 AM

Also, there's no reason you couldn't install bitcoin wallet on Fedora. Not everything has to be in a RPM

That's what many people have claimed. But not by actual Fedora users. I'd like to see an actual Fedora user explain how they got the Satoshi Client working.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:31:16 AM

That's what many people have claimed. But not by actual Fedora users. I'd like to see an actual Fedora user explain how they got the Satoshi Client working.

http://linux.ringingliberty.com/bitcoin/ <--- Try the instructions here
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:33:13 AM

Running bitcoin from GUI is not mandatory, you can also run bitcoind from Fedora terminal.
Command line is easy once you'd made a few transactions, I run it from Debian, and it's not hard at all.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
Daily Anarchist (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 12:35:21 AM

Need writable directory, but '/var/spool/abrt/ccpp-2012-10-17-20:30:25-4079' is not writable. Move it to '/home/seth/.cache/abrt/spool' and operate on the moved data?

After following the directions and attempting to open the GUI this is the error I get.

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:35:32 AM

As a Slackware user, make config;make;make install usually works for most stuff for me Smiley I believe the project is open source so it should be possible to compile from scratch if nothing else.

Alien might be the answer for Fedora I've only used it once though and that was about 8 years ago and was going rpm->deb.

Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 12:41:57 AM

You can install the outdated rpm package to satisfy all dependencies (or just dissect the package and install them manually) and then use the latest version from bitcoin.org
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:45:01 AM

Need writable directory, but '/var/spool/abrt/ccpp-2012-10-17-20:30:25-4079' is not writable. Move it to '/home/seth/.cache/abrt/spool' and operate on the moved data?

After following the directions and attempting to open the GUI this is the error I get.

Did you click Yes on that error prompt? You should.
It still doesn't open after you click Yes? You may need to start Bitcoin-Qt again after clicking yes.
That's the error reporting tool if I'm not mistaken.

As a Slackware user, make config;make;make install usually works for most stuff for me Smiley I believe the project is open source so it should be possible to compile from scratch if nothing else.

Alien might be the answer for Fedora I've only used it once though and that was about 8 years ago and was going rpm->deb.

If he tries to compile it, it will not be easy. Bitcoin needs OpenSSL binaries that are a little different than the ones that ship with Fedora/CentOS.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:45:32 AM

Interesting. So the Certificate is actually issued by blockchain.info but signed for trust by GoDaddy? I was under the (false?) impression that corporations like GoDaddy actually issued the certificates.

Well, I'm sure I'm going to say something wrong here since it's been a while since I got into the nitty gritty but this is the gist: blockchain.info generates a certificate request which contains the domain they want the certificate for. There's some cryptography involved which involves signing the request in some way I think. They send this request off to GoDaddy. GoDaddy then signs the request and hands it back to blockchain.info who install it in their server. When you go to blockchain.info, your browser gets given the certificate. Either GoDaddy has a key in the browser or what they used to sign the certificate was signed by someone who has. Your browser checks the signing chain and if all is hunky dory, gives you a little key or green padlock or somesuch and you go about your business knowing everything is completely secure (assuming someone isn't storing your wallet.dat in the root directory of the web server).

There are actually quite a few valid objections to the chain-of-trust model but it's what we have.

Daily Anarchist (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 02:05:28 AM

Did you click Yes on that error prompt? You should.
It still doesn't open after you click Yes? You may need to start Bitcoin-Qt again after clicking yes.
That's the error reporting tool if I'm not mistaken.

If he tries to compile it, it will not be easy. Bitcoin needs OpenSSL binaries that are a little different than the ones that ship with Fedora/CentOS.

I clicked yes and it took about 30 minutes for it to install a bunch of packages or whatever. When it was done I tried to open Bitcoin again and still got the same error. So, I restarted my computer, clicked Bitcoin. Now I just get nothing.

Now, back to another question, is there another way for me to transfer my wallet.dat balance to blockchain.info/wallet without having to use the Satoshi client?

Rotsor

Activity: 309
Merit: 102

Presale is live!

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 02:42:22 AM

Daily Anarchist,

It does not matter at all how the certificate was issued. Your password and your private keys are never being sent even to blockchain.info itself, never mind the certificate issuer.

This can be verified by studying the javascript source code of the blockchain.info wallet application, which is open-source. You can further protect yourself from someone changing the application by installing a wallet javascript verifier browser extension.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 03:12:02 AM

Now, back to another question, is there another way for me to transfer my wallet.dat balance to blockchain.info/wallet without having to use the Satoshi client?

Install pywallet, dump all your wallet private keys and import them to the blockchain.info/wallet
Instructions and link to source code: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0
Daily Anarchist (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 03:30:39 AM

Install pywallet, dump all your wallet private keys and import them to the blockchain.info/wallet
Instructions and link to source code: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0

Ugg. I can't even figure out how to install pywallet. The furthest I could get was downloading the python-2.7.2.msi file.  Sad

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 03:41:38 AM

Ugg. I can't even figure out how to install pywallet. The furthest I could get was downloading the python-2.7.2.msi file.  Sad

MSI? aren't you using Fedora? Linux install instructions are on the readme, on GitHub. MSI is a windows file
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: