Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:54:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we make a decentralized YouTube?  (Read 628 times)
Blazin8888 (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 12:08:56 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqkIr-rUNpg

It is becoming more and more common for youtube to demonetize videos and but people out of business. They are also trying to suppress information.

Could we create a system using bitcoin ....similar to youtube...but decentralized. Just watch that video and you will see why we need to do this.

Youtube has added more rules to the list of reasons of why they can remove videos. They are suppressing information from the public.
tsoPANos

Activity: 602

In math we trust.

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 12:19:49 PM
Last edit: September 25, 2015, 12:37:13 PM by tsoPANos

It is becoming more and more common for youtube to demonetize videos and but people out of business. They are also trying to suppress information.

Could we create a system using bitcoin ....similar to youtube...but decentralized. Just watch that video and you will see why we need to do this.

Youtube has added more rules to the list of reasons of why they can remove videos. They are suppressing information from the public.
It would be quite hard.
A Youtube requires a immense database of video files, and huge bandwidth.
Current generation decentralized blockchain implementations couldn't handle that.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 12:49:12 PM

It would be quite hard.
Current generation decentralized blockchain implementations couldn't handle that.
Honestly I think that it is not 'quite hard' but rather impossible with currently possible implementations and technology. In order for this to work and in order to access the content one would need to part of a P2P network (in order for it to be decentralized). In order for this to properly work there would need to be a lot of participants in addition to specialized software. Each participant would have to store parts of the content. Considering how much space good quality videos require (e.g. 4K) I doubt that more than a handful of people would be able to store them.

There are potentially other possible ways of doing this. However, I doubt that someone could get close to the exact definition of what Youtube is. Here's a good example.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
tsoPANos

Activity: 602

In math we trust.

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 02:05:12 PM

It would be quite hard.
Honestly I think that it is not 'quite hard' but rather impossible with currently possible implementations and technology. In order for this to work and in order to access the content one would need to part of a P2P network (in order for it to be decentralized). In order for this to properly work there would need to be a lot of participants in addition to specialized software. Each participant would have to store parts of the content. Considering how much space good quality videos require (e.g. 4K) I doubt that more than a handful of people would be able to store them.

There are potentially other possible ways of doing this. However, I doubt that someone could get close to the exact definition of what Youtube is. Here's a good example.
Yeah I know, but you never can be sure. I always try to be conservative in my estimates.
mallard

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 03:33:37 PM

It would be quite hard.

Maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to host a whole video on the blockchain.
It could be possible to maybe keep a hash/checksum of the video in the blockchain, to make sure that they are not tampered with.
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 03:56:30 PM

We already have it, it's called bittorrent. What's needed here is a decentralized tracker.

We could make BitTorrentTrackerCoin (BTTC). Grin
URSAY
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 09:22:03 PM

See florincoin with Alexandria.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 09:58:20 PM

I would love to see it happen, but right now in it's current form I'm in agreement with the others posting, it's just not possible right now just like how I'd love to see region free gaming without all the ping problems of connecting to the united states from other countries.
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 10:10:27 PM

i'd love to see a decentralized youtube.
maybe with freenet this could be possible?

edit: just realized that bandwith may be a big issue there  Embarrassed

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 03:40:05 AM
Last edit: September 26, 2015, 03:53:56 AM by notbatman

No, there's no bandwidth issues here, many torrent clients can stream video with their built in video player. Just run the torrent client as a dæmon modded with satoshi's client for the tracker and a youtube like gui via your web browser.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: