Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:11:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If you relaly cared about your friends, you would suggest that they buy Bitcoins  (Read 1864 times)
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 09:18:13 AM

I am...

I have convinced my brother and some of his friends...

My friend and some of his brothers...

My parents...

My girlfriend...

Anybody I know, care about, and can use a computer I have mentioned bitcoins to - because I don't want to be some billionaire enjoying his wealth alone!!!

If you can convince any of your friends to simply buy $50 USD worth of BTC... you will be doing yourself, themselves, and the entire world a HUGE favor!

Get going!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 09:23:42 AM

Preach on brotha! But umm I think it's hit an miss with this whole proselytizing business. Some people are just to lazy and ignorant to think outside their box or comfort zone.

What really shocks me is how often I hear people telling me they think that their money is backed by gold.  Cheesy

JA37

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 09:51:21 AM

And if you want to keep your friends you would also tell them that the risk is HUGE at this point.
Buying bitcoins today is about as safe an investment as buying shares in a small pharma company with only one candidate drug in the pipeline. The rewards could be astonishing, but you could just as well lose all your money.

Be sure to mention that. That way you don't come off as a "pump and dump" artist.

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
Reikoku

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

firstbits: 1kwc1p

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 09:53:41 AM

Ultimately the success or failure of Bitcoin will be the success or failure to get major retailers to take it, particularly online retailers.

Rei | 1Kwc1pqv54jCg8jvnm3Gu1dqFQYhS34Bow
Trades So Far: 7
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 10:39:01 AM

Ultimately the success or failure of Bitcoin will be the success or failure to get major retailers to take it, particularly online retailers.

Nope.  Does the success of gold or silver depend on the success of major retailers accepting gold and silver?

The success or failure of bitcoin is will be the extent of ability to trade bitcoin for dollars etc.. which are already accepted by online retailers.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 10:48:20 AM

I'd be careful to make sure people understand the tremendous risk involved of getting into bitcoin as an investment.  This is still very experimental.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Spurious

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 10:48:30 AM

Does the success of gold or silver depend on the success of major retailers accepting gold and silver?

Well, yes. Because governments came out and said our currency is backed by gold and/or silver, so you can always exchange the money for that.
It's slightly different, I know, but if you cant buy goods in BTC, the currency is worthless.

And OP, are you dense for giving investment advice to friends and family? I'd rather have poor friends than none.
Never ever do this, this is the most risky asset they could possibly invest in and you CONVINCE them to buy it. What do you think happens when BTC goes to 0, they'll be like "whatever"? Hell no, they blame you for losing their money.
Given the small sum invested, it's most likely not a big deal, but refrain from doing that.
It also doesnt help the currency at all, because they have no idea what it is about and never use it, just see it as an investment.

If you want to help the community, tell them about BTC, educate them, this is what we need.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826

rippleFanatic

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 11:18:00 AM

Does the success of gold or silver depend on the success of major retailers accepting gold and silver?

Well, yes. Because governments came out and said our currency is backed by gold and/or silver, so you can always exchange the money for that.
It's slightly different, I know, but if you cant buy goods in BTC, the currency is worthless.

Nonsense.  It doesn't matter if you can't buy goods in BTC.  If you can buy dollars with BTC, then BTC is worth exactly however many dollars you can buy with it.  Simple stuff really.

EDIT:  Back to the topic.

Agreed.  My mom just invested.  Started telling my cousin to invest when it was around $5.. he dragged his heels until it was $8.70.  He already nearly doubled his investment and is thrilled.  My dad and sister have said they would but haven't gotten around to it.  They regret having waited more every time I inform them of the new price

I always tell them its not guaranteed, and not to invest more than they can afford lose.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Ricochet

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 05:01:21 PM

4 days ago I met some friends at a tavern for the first time in a month.  Some other guy mentioned Bitcoin as one of two reasons that the US economy is going to collapse.  I did what I could to try to correct that notion and explain why Bitcoin is a good idea, but of course I only had a few minutes before the conversation shifted elsewhere and it would have been silly of me to bring it up again.

4 days ago the value was at $9 per Bitcoin.  Today it's at $17.  I wish I had convinced even one of them to buy in right then.  They would have treated it like a stock of course, pure speculation, but I have no doubt that these people would have eventually done some research and realized *why* it's a superior currency.  They're technical enough to understand it; they run websites that handle financial transactions for a group of about 1500 people.

Adding to my personal Regrets List again...

EDIT:  for context, the reason it was brought up was mention of Lockheed Martin's purchase of a quantum computer and how it could drastically change cryptology.  Bank account passwords and Bitcoin addresses were the two things that were mentioned as being vulnerable to it.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 05:15:32 PM

If you can convince any of your friends to simply buy $50 USD worth of BTC... you will be doing yourself, themselves, and the entire world a HUGE favor!

Get going!!
You most certainly are not. All you're doing is fueling a speculative mania even further.

You can do everyone a favor by convincing them to sell whatever idle productive capability they have for Bitcoins. That's where economic benefits actually derive from. Getting rich from currency speculation is a zero-sum game.

If you want to increase your personal wealth without taking it from someone else you either need to do more work or more productive work. Bitcoin helps with this because it allows people to sell their skills in situations that would be impossible or unprofitable in other currencies which means they can increase their personal economic output.
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 06:55:13 PM

Retailers are a bonus, but Bitcoin doesn't need them to succeed.  The remittances market alone is worth $300 Billion USD per year. Then there is: online gambling, bitcoin-as-a-financial-instrument, supply chain management, MMOGs, cloud storage, commercial Tor nodes, and many other uses we can't even imagine right now...

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
AtlasONo

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 07:05:05 PM

If you really cared abut bitcoins you'd suggest your friends use their BTC rather than hoarding them.
jashan

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 09:37:21 PM

Actually, the favor will be much greater when they consciously spend those Bitcoins on something they feel should be supported, something that is of real value to them. Just like with other kinds of money. The current speculation bubble might be very beneficial to Bitcoin - but it might also turn out to be extremely harmful. The question is: Are we currently seeing the value of Bitcoins rising because that's the value they really have (I do see that possibility), or are we seeing the value of Bitcoins rising because of hordes of greedy people? If the latter is the case, which I consider very likely, we'll see a bubble burst at some point in time, and a lot of people will be very unhappy and they will blame Bitcoins (instead of getting the simple message that the problem was their own greed).

When you see Bitcoins as a payment method - that's a really great thing, and an innovative thing, too. And a solution to major problems in the "money world" and "payment world" (which truly are two distinct worlds even if they do overlap). Bitcoins do have the potential to be a major game changer. Seriously.

On the other hand, when you see Bitcoins as a "get rich really quick"-scheme ... well, then Bitcoins will eventually go the same route that all "get rich really quick"-schemes go. A few people win, a lot of people lose; the scheme gets a really bad reputation ... and in the case of Bitcoins: A truly great idea is being killed by greed.
TYPEcoin

Activity: 364
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 11:25:15 AM

To get people involved and interested in bitcoin just let them take a look at the statistics and graphics of price change. It will encourage them more than any spoken story.
almaerk08

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 11:44:38 AM

I think it is okay to introduce bitcoin to our friends and families. But the thing is we are not sure of the outcome after telling them about bitcoin. Some of them may be convinced and try to join. But some of them may also not be convinced because some people are not open-minded and they are just so scared to try.
onnz423

Activity: 840
Merit: 508

Make winning bets on sports with Sportsbet.io!

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 08:11:25 PM

This is very true I have and will continue to suggest bitcoin to family members and friends. Recently due to the media (news and internet) spreading the word about bitcoin almost everyone knows about bitcoin. Now all we need to do as bitcoiners is to ensure they know about the advantages of bitcoin and how it will benefit them much more then fiat money. However, you'll find that it's almost impossible to convince somebody who doesn't care about technology to invest in cryptocurrency.

I dare you to try.

▄▄██████▄▄
  ████████████
███▄▄
 ██████████████▀▀▀██▄
████████████████   ▀██▄
████████████████     ▀██
██████████████       ██▌
██████████████        ▐██
██▌▀▀██████▀▀         ▐██
▐██                   ██▌
 ██▄                 ▄██
  ▀██▄             ▄██▀
    ▀██▄▄▄     ▄▄▄██▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

███████████████████████████
████████▀▀       ▀▀████████
█████▀   ▄ ▀███▀ ▄   ▀█████
████  ▄████▄ ▀ ▄████▄  ████
███  ▄ ▀███▀ ▄ ▀███▀ ▄  ███
██  ▄██ ▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▀ ██▄  ██
██  █▀ ▄█ ███████ █▄ ▀█  ██
██   ▄███▄ █████ ▄███▄   ██
███  ████▀ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████  ███
████  ▀ ▄ ▀█████▀ ▄ ▀  ████
█████▄  ▀▀▄ ███ ▄▀▀  ▄█████
████████▄▄       ▄▄████████
███████████████████████████

█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
Washball

Activity: 266
Merit: 151

First crypto index traded as a token!

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 08:21:14 PM

You can promote bitcoin to your friends and relatives, suggest them to buy. But in the western world as well in most parts of the world bitcoin already has a name. If people want to invest in Bitcoin, they do not need any encouragement. Most people have heard about Bitcoin, if they are interested they probably already have invested. If not, then they don't want to invest in cryptocurrencies.

kalstarzz

Activity: 770
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 08:43:53 PM

your way is very precise, but contrary to my way, I more advise my loved ones to learn bitcoin. because it will be more helpful to them, so that when they have bitcoin assets they are not confused to move.
Jcag07

Activity: 107

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 06:59:00 AM

We can give our opinion but our friend can only decide what will his or her decision. Bitcoin helps with this because it allows people to sell their skills in situations that would be impossible or unprofitable in other currencies which means they can increase their personal economic output
elygil2022

Activity: 140
Merit: 2

REMIIT.IO

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 08:17:15 AM

Bitcoin is not for everyone. No matter how much you care about your family and friends, some people are just not into this cryptocurrency thing. Me? I gift them with bitcoins. Not much, just a tiny little fraction, but it’s the thought that counts.  Smiley

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
REMIIT.IO ║ Decentralized Remittance & Payment Platform (https://remiit.io/)
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: