Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:55:54 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are possible scenarios for the block halving?  (Read 4383 times)
Hugroll

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 12:42:26 AM

im thinking price should go up, but no one can really be sure
talks_cheep
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 02:33:11 AM

with LTC nothing happened after halving so not sure
The LTC halving didn't rase the price at all in fact it continued to go down, why was that?
How would the BTC halving differ from the LTC halving?

Not entirely true. About 2 months before the LTC halving, in June/July, LTC price rocketed up to $15 from $2. After the halving, LTC price has settled at around $2.80 currently.

I can foresee BTC behaving the same way, just in different numbers$$$.

coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2015, 02:49:03 AM

I think there could very well be another round of FOMO similar to 2013. Now only 12.5 coins per 10 minutes instead of 25!! When we have huge sell offs people panic and over sell, when we have the big rises people go crazy and over buy in fear of missing out.

pleaseexplainagain

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 02:55:11 AM

it seems to me that people who think the price will go up would logically be buying more now ie they are getting cheaper coins now that the future. That inflates demand a little and maybe moves the current price up a little.

But when halving comes (because of the above) demand should less than normal/now. it may be that lower demand roughly matches the lower increase in supply so there is no major price movement.  

Just becasue the rate a new bitcoins arriving to be bought drops does not mean there is a 'shortage' for buyers and so they push the price up in a bidding war.

I think demand is so weak you may see little change Shocked
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 03:12:05 AM

Demand keeps dropping, halving can't come soon enough just to keep us where we are......

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
Itun

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 04:49:48 AM

If demand is high enough, prices will increase quite dramatically.

However, if it is low, prices will decrease even more and miners would decrease their investments in their rigs because it won't be as profitable.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2015, 07:27:32 AM

Theoretically there would be an upward pressure for price to increase but that is provided that demand remains the same at its current level. But as I've said earlier there are just too many scenarios that could happen and things could just took an unexpected turn. You can just put forward the assumption that miners will shut off their machine as they are unable to remain profitable but don't forget others miners could still fill that vacant slot. Whatever it is I hope volatility will somehow reduce and we could see a more stable price.

rz20
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 08:16:37 AM

If the demand is the same as right now price will go up. If the prices go up a lot ($200), it can be the start of a new bubble because the appearing of bitcoin in the mass media.
newcripto

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 10:24:27 AM

I also see rise in price after the halving of blocks.Someone respected member stated above about LTC 's halving I will just say there is no comparison between BTC and LTC.One is original and other is simply cope.Rise in price is sure with or without halving in next years.
bitwarrior
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 10:34:15 AM

I also see rise in price after the halving of blocks.Someone respected member stated above about LTC 's halving I will just say there is no comparison between BTC and LTC.One is original and other is simply cope.Rise in price is sure with or without halving in next years.

Same speculation here, BTC price might increase from 25% to 40% as the demand for it dictates. And I dont think as well that mining will slow down as we reached the halving phase.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 11:26:02 AM
Last edit: September 27, 2015, 06:25:43 PM by Amph

miners will not leave they can earn profit at least for two other halving, with the current efficiency, so we are safe from that point of view

the price will increase almost for sure, unless some major thing will put a dent on bitcoin before the halving
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 12:23:06 PM

If demand in the markets stays the same as it is now or it raises a bit, the price of Bitcoin will be higher. If demand should decrease maybe nothing will change and price still will be in $200 range.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 12:42:25 PM

miners will not leave they can earn profit at least for two other halving, with the current efficiency, so we are safe from that point of view

the price will increase almost for sure, un less some major thing will put a dent on bitcoin before the halving

Yes, at the moment it all points out that the price should increase around the next halving. what will happen in the end and how will market dynamics work out it will be seen.

Halving is not the only thing that should work out for the Bitcoin price next year. I expect that in 2016 the long awaited ETFs and Gemini exchange see the light of the day. Also the block size increase should be solved and this should regain the confidence into Bitcoin as well.
Callahan

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 03:32:32 PM

ROI will be lower, maybe miners companies will do a big pump

Be careful.
Giggs

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 03:56:14 PM

What things could happen with the btc price when the block halving occurs? will the price go down due to miners cashing out? or will the block chain slow down due to miners shutting off their mining equipment? will the price go up because of less daily bitcoin created? what will likely happen?

Miners cash out? Miners always cash out that how they make their money. One of only two things will likely happen: either nothing or the price will rise. Can't see any reason why it would go down.
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 6550

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 04:17:45 PM

My guess:

There will be a speculative hype about 3-4 months before the halving date. If there are no fundamental problems, then in this period the price should go up, at least 50%. (Take into account that we still don't know if we've reached the bottom. It can also go from 100 to 150 USD Wink )

Then, about the halving date, we will see a downward price movement. The dunp after the pump.

What happens next after this dump, in my opinion, depends on the fundamentals. So if adoption is going on, then it can be bullish, otherwise bearish. Or sideways Wink

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
slojina

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 04:20:24 PM

... Can't see any reason why it would go down.

Because all the mining hardware currently running near break-even gets taken offline & becomes available/useful only for 51% attack?
And forget about "decreased supply."  Supply is constantly increasing, it is the # of BTC mined to date. Also, speculative demand don't fit into the price/demand equation like you think it do.  
ashour

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 09:36:35 PM

The most likely scenario for the halving event would be a short to mid range price increase since the supply would be cut to half.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 04:50:44 AM

i think next year because of block halving and most importantly because of the expectation of price increase the bitcoin price would go up at least around the time for the halving. but later on if the demand stays up the price would stay up and the mining would continue.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2015, 06:07:20 AM

Since it's a known future event, the halving should not affect the price.

Mining activity, though, sees a big cut in revenue, and some miners are going to drop out. Miners presumably have run spreadsheets and know what gear goes to negative ROI after the halving, and will presumably have planned things so it more than paid for itself well before the cutoff date.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: