Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:19:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do higher taxes on the rich historically correlate to higher economic growth  (Read 7801 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 06:32:48 AM

"Rob the rich because they won't fight back as much" is hardly a justification for tax inequity. I think that each person should be taxed the same amount regardless of their income or wealth.

You know what? I actually agree 100% with this... 0% across the board matches your definition.

Then who is gonna enforce your contracts? You know that thing which I said shouldn't backed by law which makes me an evil person Wink
http://bit.ly/PTgJSJ

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 06:53:13 AM

"Rob the rich because they won't fight back as much" is hardly a justification for tax inequity. I think that each person should be taxed the same amount regardless of their income or wealth.

You know what? I actually agree 100% with this... 0% across the board matches your definition.

Then who is gonna enforce your contracts? You know that thing which I said shouldn't backed by law which makes me an evil person Wink
http://bit.ly/PTgJSJ

hehe, ok I've earned that Grin

I'll read it, thanks.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 11:31:01 PM

There are two major problems with utilitarianism:
1) Utility monster
2) Mere-addition paradox

If you are arguing for a social system such as universal health care on utilitarian grounds you must account for both of these or the system will fail. Each of these is why countries that have such systems also tend to have rationed health care (sometimes referred to as "death panels") and birth regulations (like in China), respectively.
mrvision

Activity: 527
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 11:56:33 PM

Because you are messing with inflation.

GDP (or AD)= C + G + I + (X - M)

higher taxes on the rich, means more G (Government spending) that will lead to more C (consumption) and less I (Investment) but more X...

In other words, inflation. Money will worth less, prices will rise, so your  gross domestic product will look higher, but real salary will be decreasing.

Your assumption of a 'higher economic growth' comes from the fact that the gross domestic product is calculated by multiplying the output of each sector by their respective market price. Because inflation leads to higher demands, market price will artificially rise.

(Sorry if i'm using the keynesian model, but so are you.)
deadserious

Activity: 121
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 05:50:28 PM

Some excellent commentary on the topic:

http://www.tomwoods.com/blog/how-to-refute-the-91-tax-rates-are-awesome-argument/
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 06:44:48 AM

Too bad that:
Wealth!= productive
Poor!=lazy

Actually, In the USA - poor does equate with lazy... or crazy. There literally isn't anyone who is sane and poor unless they choose to be.

This whole debate comes down to the same thing it always does - why do some people want a nanny state?

13 states revolted over a ~15% teatax. Isn't it ironic that 200 years later we've got people paying between 30% and 80% - and half of us think we aren't paying enough.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 09:47:52 PM

Ah this thread.

On that contracts without government thing: It proposes that when I enter a restaurant and am really unsatisfied with it I should pay and never return, while in hindsight under anarchism I'd just leave without paying.

In a serious scenario I'd more likely would be asked for payment when the food is served not after I have eaten, which would make a contract, again unnecessary.
I would propose that for almost all transaction instant payment is preferable to a contract. And while this would make credit impossible I think we don't need credit.

That's one of the rare things where I would agree with some of the popular religions: Profiting from interest is usury.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 12:20:21 AM

Actually, In the USA - poor does equate with lazy... or crazy.
Actually, that isn't true.  It is what would generally be considered a prejudiced, or bigoted, opinion. Poverty has many causes.  While laziness and mental instability can lead to poverty, they are by no means the only two reasons that poverty exist.

13 states revolted over a ~15% teatax.
Perhaps I've been mislead.  It was my understanding that the "Boston Tea Party" and the American Revolution had more to do with lack of representation than with taxation.
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 06:12:15 AM

Actually, In the USA - poor does equate with lazy... or crazy.
Actually, that isn't true.  It is what would generally be considered a prejudiced, or bigoted, opinion. Poverty has many causes.  While laziness and mental instability can lead to poverty, they are by no means the only two reasons that poverty exist.

13 states revolted over a ~15% teatax.
Perhaps I've been mislead.  It was my understanding that the "Boston Tea Party" and the American Revolution had more to do with lack of representation than with taxation.

On Bigotry: Poverty isn't a persistent (like a genetic disorder) or a permanent (like death) condition. It's a situation, the 'cause' doesn't matter in the slightest. Everyone has been down and out at some time or another. The will to change the situation is all that is needed. The people who live in poverty in this nation do so because they choose to... the only reasonable explanation for that choice is mental disorder or laziness.

On the American Revolution: http://www.americassurvivalguide.com/declaration-of-independence.php

Just read that, then tell me it was about lack of representation. Really it was about defending the colonies from tyrannical rule that was generally abusing, killing and plundering what they were building.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: