Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:52:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which address in Electrum is my wallet address?  (Read 28630 times)
Alfedrier (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 08:58:06 PM

Still on my first day so I've got a lot to learn, but this is just confusing to me. Started out on the official client, got everything set up, then realised that it would take the entire day to download the entire blockchain, so I gave up on that since I'm stuck operating off of a flashdrive. Found Electrum, decided to try it out since it's portable... well all was dandy till I found that it generated not 1, but 5 addresses after launch. Which address is my wallet address? D:

I'm getting a bit desperate, I've already linked my worker (pool mining of course) to my first wallet, and even if I do get payout, I've no idea where to send it! I can't see my current balance till bitcoin-qt finishes syncing anyway, so I wouldn't know for sure if I've even used to correct address. Thus, no funds to test the addresses with. It's been syncing for 5 hours already, and it's only at 78%. It's slowed down considerably as it got closer to 2012. T_T
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tehace

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 09:25:31 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74046

Services linked here will give you a small amount of coin to test things like this.

If I recall correctly electrum generates 5 adresses for you when it starts. Double checking now.

DOGE: DChHzYffNDrMsM9L1GtG14cmp1NUXrEe9Z
Alfedrier (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 09:48:33 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2012, 10:12:45 PM by getgi

Thanks, one of the first things I did was use daily bitcoins, and find that the (test) faucet hated my address. unfortunately I'm not seeing anything I got yet, since my wallet won't sync until the blockchain is sync'd. Can't direct the funds to my Electrum wallet because I can't figure out what it's address is, because I can't test, because I can't sync my wallet. Only way I can think of to actually see my funds is to wait till the blockchain finishes syncing, which will hopefully happen before I have to leave for the night.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 11:39:19 PM

If those adresses are on the Receive Tab, they're all yours. Choose one of them.
Alfedrier (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Planned on it; blockexplorer says I have funds in my wallet, but it'll have to wait till tomorrow since I'm out of time. It didn't occur to me that all the addresses could link to the same wallet. (or can't they? Bleh, gotta test it out myself or I'll never wrap my head around it, no matter how simple.) At least the blockchain is pretty much done now. >_>

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Okay, it was close to done, but then another 20k blocks got tacked on... XD
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 01:34:32 AM

Your wallet can have an infinite number of addresses(not really, but almost, because you won't be able to generate all possible bitcoin addresses)
Alfedrier (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 01:40:33 AM

All I can say is awesome, that means I can switch to a new address as often as I want. Cheesy
(Well, I knew I could do that, but I didn't know that I didn't have to make a new wallet every time I used a different address.)

Sweet.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 01:44:14 AM

All I can say is awesome, that means I can switch to a new address as often as I want. Cheesy
(Well, I knew I could do that, but I didn't know that I didn't have to make a new wallet every time I used a different address.)

Sweet.

In fact it is recommended you use a different address for every incoming transaction, for 2 reasons.
1- To track better who paid you what
2- To improve anonymity
Alfedrier (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 02:02:20 AM

makes sense, I was originally planning on switching to a new address every week, as I'm not going to be doing many important transactions. CPU mining, some income from various offer sites, I'm not expecting much in the way of bitcoins, especially since I'm using public computers. I measure my gains in µBTC and satoshi. Still, money is money, and anything more than zero is a welcome change.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: