Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 09:24:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's next for Gavin??  (Read 1579 times)
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2015, 09:32:32 AM

We are all whitenesses that the XT idea probably won't work. What's next for Gavin if his XT goes down the drain as it seems it's happening?

Have we as a community just lost one of our devs? And not just any dev, but the one to whom Satoshi has left Bitcoin and development of Bitcoin in a sense.

it will work if you have to pay 1 Dollar for each transaction. would be wise to increase the blocksize of qt before that will happen.  Roll Eyes

DooMAD
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 3162

Leave no FUD unchallenged

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 10:23:16 AM
Last edit: September 27, 2015, 10:53:15 AM by DooMAD

Nothing much will change.  People who generally haven't understood the fundamental concept of open source software will still try to spread the myth that it was some sort of failed coup attempt, but anyone who actually belongs here knows it actually wasn't that big a deal.  All the developers involved will continue to develop and all the trolls in the community will continue to troll (ineffectively).

Hopefully he will break ties with Mike and drop all the "spy stuff" from his code

This FUD is still being spread?  The "spy stuff" code everyone was soiling themselves over is also in the repository for core and anyone running any Bitcoin node can choose to run it if they want.  If someone running a node wants to ban you, they're more than welcome to and for any reason they choose.  You could be connected to a node running it right now and you wouldn't even know.  It's not malicious, it doesn't do anything harmful.  Again, certain actors in the community creating a bunch of drama over nothing.  Don't believe the hype.

In fact, the person/account who initially caused that particular storm in a teacup has posted in this very thread and they're still spreading the myth of Gavin attempting to "hijack bitcoin and to be the project leader".  Funny coincidence, that.   Roll Eyes
Mickeyb (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 12:15:54 PM

Nothing much will change.  People who generally haven't understood the fundamental concept of open source software will still try to spread the myth that it was some sort of failed coup attempt, but anyone who actually belongs here knows it actually wasn't that big a deal.  All the developers involved will continue to develop and all the trolls in the community will continue to troll (ineffectively).

Hopefully he will break ties with Mike and drop all the "spy stuff" from his code

This FUD is still being spread?  The "spy stuff" code everyone was soiling themselves over is also in the repository for core and anyone running any Bitcoin node can choose to run it if they want.  If someone running a node wants to ban you, they're more than welcome to and for any reason they choose.  You could be connected to a node running it right now and you wouldn't even know.  It's not malicious, it doesn't do anything harmful.  Again, certain actors in the community creating a bunch of drama over nothing.  Don't believe the hype.

In fact, the person/account who initially caused that particular storm in a teacup has posted in this very thread and they're still spreading the myth of Gavin attempting to "hijack bitcoin and to be the project leader".  Funny coincidence, that.   Roll Eyes

Guys, honestly I didn't start this thread so that we start bashing again. We had enough of this until now and it didn't solve anything. I appreciate all the answers and all of the opinions so far but please let's keep this civilized without fuding, accusing, etc..

Thank you!
DooMAD
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 3162

Leave no FUD unchallenged

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 12:28:47 PM

In fact, the person/account who initially caused that particular storm in a teacup has posted in this very thread and they're still spreading the myth of Gavin attempting to "hijack bitcoin and to be the project leader".  Funny coincidence, that.   Roll Eyes

Guys, honestly I didn't start this thread so that we start bashing again. We had enough of this until now and it didn't solve anything. I appreciate all the answers and all of the opinions so far but please let's keep this civilized without fuding, accusing, etc..

Thank you!

I'll try to phrase it as politely as possible, but I won't leave misinformation unchallenged.  Otherwise more people will buy into it and start repeating it.  

There are definitely certain profiles on this board that need to be kept in chek.  [cough cough]   Grin

neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 12:53:27 PM

Gavin should probably take a vacation after the XT incident and reevaluate the situation. He should drop Mike and work on his own to improve Bitcoin in form of BIPs and not trying to hard fork it. If a BIP is good and tons of people want it it will get accepted eventually, we don't need hard forks.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 1435

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 01:35:01 PM

We are all whitenesses that the XT idea probably won't work. What's next for Gavin if his XT goes down the drain as it seems it's happening?

Have we as a community just lost one of our devs? And not just any dev, but the one to whom Satoshi has left Bitcoin and development of Bitcoin in a sense.

He'll go to NXT and create NXT-XT and then take over the development from there.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 1435

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 01:36:29 PM

Gavin should probably take a vacation after the XT incident and reevaluate the situation. He should drop Mike and work on his own to improve Bitcoin in form of BIPs and not trying to hard fork it. If a BIP is good and tons of people want it it will get accepted eventually, we don't need hard forks.

Yeah, I think he'll go on a sabbatical for some time after XT.  He'll be saying that those white male libertarian bros are toxic.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 01:46:17 PM

I wonder whether he created a plan of action in case XT blew up in his face. It was a rather bold move.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 04:08:06 PM

I wonder whether he created a plan of action in case XT blew up in his face. It was a rather bold move.

I don't think so. They thought XT would get a lot of support because apparently they had the support of a big part of miners and a big part of businesses plus all the people being pissed off at a small blocksize. Well it turns out it backfired when they made it clear that XT is a big gov spying backdoor.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2015, 04:21:30 PM

I don't think so. They thought XT would get a lot of support because apparently they had the support of a big part of miners and a big part of businesses plus all the people being pissed off at a small blocksize. Well it turns out it backfired when they made it clear that XT is a big gov spying backdoor.

Both Gavin and Mike have said repeatedly, Ad nauseam, that they don't care what the miners think. In a recent video, Gavin said 6 times over a span of about an hour that the economic majority was all that mattered. Then he said over and over again that Coinbase and Bitpay were the voice of that majority.

Now - at this point in time - it should be pretty obvious that Bitpay is run by incompetent lightweights that only know how to burn through cash, and Coinbase is run by executives that hope to corner the market .. and eventually own, control, and monopolize the entire bitcoin space.
coalitionfor8mb

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 05:13:06 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2015, 05:36:40 PM by coalitionfor8mb

I personally think that Gavin is a nice and smart person and I would like to see him around Bitcoin in one way or another. By the time the scalability debate started I felt that the block size would eventually need to increase and was on Gavin's side of the argument. However, it took all of us months and months to actually understand what this particular limitation is about and how to approach it in a responsible way.

It's good that XT kick-started this fruitful discussion and resulted in an improved understanding of how Bitcoin works, while being a perfect test for the community as well. With the knowledge that we've gained we can work together towards the common goal of improving Bitcoin and make the adjustment when the time is right.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4606
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 05:32:37 PM

At some point he'll end up being at least figurehead for Conformal's go implementation of the Bitcoin protocol and other software, though he'll likely make some contributions as well.

I forsee a fairly bright future for Conformal.  It will be 'most convenient' to use their implementation for those who choose to operate under a 'bitcoin license.'  Easier to 'conform' I reckon.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: