Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:35:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So does PayPal ban bitcoins or not?  (Read 1453 times)
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰 (OP)
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 03:41:40 AM

Lots of services like Bitinstant pays out via paypal.
There are numerous Bitcoins being sold on ebay, therefore paypal.
What's the official stance?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 07:19:00 AM

Lots of services like Bitinstant pays out via paypal.
There are numerous Bitcoins being sold on ebay, therefore paypal.
What's the official stance?

From another thread:

If you are only doing small person-to-person trades, infrequently and neither side has chargeback issues, you probably can keep trading bitcoins using PayPal for quite some time.

But when you start trading suddenly for larger amounts (e.g., more than a thousand dollars a month or a multiple of previous monthly average amount) or you start doing a ton of transactions -- especially involving funds from the buyer's credit card, or either you or your counterparty has chargebacks ... then you are playing with fire.  And you will get burned.

Here's the specific terms:

- https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/AcceptableUse_popup

Prohibited Activities
You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:
3. h) involve currency exchanges or check cashing businesses,

And if you'ld like to see a heartwarming story about the aftermath after Paypal realized some trader was selling bitcoins and followed that discovery by reversing 20 or so recent transactions and then freezing the funds, start here:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83679.msg1001602#msg1001602

And another thread where the eBay seller got his PayPal account frozen:

I got suspended for selling paperclips with free bitcoins 2 days ago, and yes i sent the damn clips with a tracking number. They want all kind of documents to re-enable my account. I had only positive votes with them but the fees are killing me so i think i will pass doing something about it. They will get to know bitcoin in the end.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Xch4ng3

Activity: 661
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 10:51:18 AM

You can easily get away with this if you're doing person-to-person trades but you can't start doing it as a business.

Prohibited Activities
You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:
3. h) involve currency exchanges or check cashing businesses

Quoted from above me which clearly states you can't use it for currency exchanging services. You could attempt to get away with it by adding the BTC on as a "gift." but due to the nature of this kind of business it'd lead to red flags for PayPal.

[AUTOBUY] [CHEAP] $2 Account Shop -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4611147
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 12:42:35 PM

The most headache-free option is just don't use PayPal. They are asinine like banksters. Of course, this isn't really very helpful advice in the main, especially if you're itching to do business on eBay. Still, the reversible nature of transactions makes PayPal, credit cards, etc. a risky method to sell BTC.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: