Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:23:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should everyone with a computer let the program generate bitcoins? For safty?  (Read 1998 times)
istar (OP)

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 11:49:16 AM

Read some articles about the possible weakness of the system.

That if someone gets over 50% of the computing power of the bitcoin network they would be able to manipulate the system in various ways.

But the more computer power that are non frauding the hard it gets to do something bad.

Therefor should everyone who use bitcoins have their computer on mining just to make the network safer? Or do you contribute to the overall security by just starting the bitcoin program?

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 11:54:49 AM

AFAIK the current GUI version still has the option to generate coins.
It's obviously good for the network as a whole if you keep it on, but they're much more efficient ways of doing that.

So yes, it's good, but it won't bring much extra safety to turn on generation on a stock client.

nazgulnarsil

Activity: 672
Merit: 258

https://cryptassist.io

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 11:56:35 AM

1 extra gpu negates thousands of computers running the generate coin function.  not significant.

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 12:11:10 PM

1 extra gpu negates thousands of computers running the generate coin function.  not significant.
1 decent GPU ~ 300 MH/s
1 decent CPU ~ 10 KH/s

We probably don't have the same definition of "thousands".

frycicle

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 02:29:26 PM

Hundreds maybe?

Buy Newegg Products with Bitcoin with 0% transaction fee! bitcoinredemption.com
Quantumplation

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 03:10:42 PM

1 decent GPU ~ 300 MH/s
1 decent CPU ~ 10 KH/s

My cpu gets 10 MHash/s

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 04:02:53 PM

1 decent GPU ~ 300 MH/s
1 decent CPU ~ 10 KH/s

My cpu gets 10 MHash/s
You're right, I meant 10,000 KH/s or 10 MH/s

So yes, a rough approximation is that the average GPU is 30 times faster than the average CPU.

That's why I like claims served with a side of nice numbers Smiley

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 06:00:33 PM

Read some articles about the possible weakness of the system.

That if someone gets over 50% of the computing power of the bitcoin network they would be able to manipulate the system in various ways.

But the more computer power that are non frauding the hard it gets to do something bad.

Therefor should everyone who use bitcoins have their computer on mining just to make the network safer? Or do you contribute to the overall security by just starting the bitcoin program?

I don't think that it is necessary for everybody to contribute their computing power. As somebody pointed out, one GPU dedicated to mining can replace 1000 average computers. For the average person (if bitcoin becomes popular) leaving the computer mining would be akin to buying a lottery ticket.

In this thread I was convinced that the average user should mine, but only at 1-5% CPU/GPU time. With millions of users, this incremental CPU power would add up, making the network more secure.

I don't have any bitcoins yet, but if I am a thousandaire  in a year, I will be investing in "big iron." IIRC, the some of the newer Spark-based servers can process up to 1024 threads at once and are very good at integer calculations (used in mining). I suspect one of those servers can hold its own against a GPU miner, albeit at a slightly higher current draw.

My strategy would be to only mine to protect the integrity of the network. To do that I would only turn on threads in proportion to the network hash rate. For example, if the historical network peak hash rate was 4 TeraHashes/second, I would only run: 256 threads when the network is at 3TH/s, 512 at 2TH/s, 768 at 1TH/s, finally only using every available thread if the hash rate drops to something like 3 Gigahashes per second.

Of course, I would use such a box for other things as well, such as acting as a gateway for an open access mesh network. Such a machine should be able to handle multiple VPN connections very well.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 09:25:30 AM

As somebody pointed out, one GPU dedicated to mining can replace 1000 average computers.
As I showed, the person who pointed that out can't do basic math, on average a GPU hashes 30 times faster than a CPU not 1000.

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 05:17:40 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2011, 07:51:40 AM by phillipsjk

1 extra gpu negates thousands of computers running the generate coin function.  not significant.
1 decent GPU ~ 300 MH/s
1 decent CPU ~ 10 KH/s

Since when does the "average" computer have a decent CPU/GPU? To be honest, I have not tested the mining speed of my computers yet.

Edit: My AMD Sempron(tm)   2600+ gets about 685kHash/s with the default client.
Edit2: That works out to a GPU being 438x faster than my "average" CPU. (300MH/s is 30,000 times larger than 10 kH/s)

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Bazil

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:33:45 PM

I keep mine running in case I win the lottery.  It runs between 150KH and 1500KH depending on what I'm doing at the time

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: