Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 08:27:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Other significant coins? Which to select?  (Read 1762 times)
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 1436

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 03:34:17 PM

tokeweed, there was only one altcoin exchange when I started calculating the ALT19 Index.

Well that ain't the case now, ain't it?

edit:  I was gonna take the index seriously.  And I think it's a great idea (if the people who ran the exchanges created it).  But when I saw you calling them 'blue chips', I thought it was some kind of a joke.  It's more like 'blue cheaps', really.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
alt19 (OP)

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 03:34:51 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2015, 07:32:15 PM by alt19

well to disagree even though we agree 7/8th ...

LTC not included ... it throws the data off.  LTC is orders of magnitude above the rest.  
yes LTC ('little brother', 'silver'...) so I check it's price when I check BTC price.  
But in terms of market cap LTC is x10 doge, x130 nova.  
LTC squashes the other ALT18 if included to point of perhaps being of greater MC than the sum of the other ALT18.

For most causal observes the market will be BTC then LTC then ripple and now it looks like ETH has a spot on the mental map of the general public.  

The ALT19 Index ought be the 'other coins'.

There are also enough 'anons' to have an ANON index.

Same with the crypto 2.0 [eth, bts, nxt, cp, master, plus all their assets]  

So it is my hope that you keep ALT19 entirely coins launched 2012-2013.   Old school cool.  Time vetted/tested.

now I screw my own original logic up

dash and XMR goes ANON index
start goes crypto 2.0 index *it's going NXT Wink
nsr black veri go to a 100% pure stakes index
ALT19 Index
ripple price
ltc price
btc price

Apple: market cap $654B sector: Technology
Caterpillar: market cap $39B sector: Industrials
They are both in the Dow Jones.

You're right, LTC is "orders of magnitude above the rest".
But is is an altcoin. If we don't include it, people will ask where is LTC? Not included? Why? Not interesting?
Some members bash LTC and new investors may be confused.

You may disagree, but LTC is in the same boat with altcoins: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1089664.0

Besides "the Dow Jones is a price-weighted average, which gives higher-priced stocks more influence over the average than their lower-priced
counterparts, but takes no account of the relative industry size or market capitalization of the components. For example, a $1 increase in a
lower-priced stock can be negated by a $1 decrease in a much higher-priced stock, even though the lower-priced stock experienced a larger
percentage change".

'crypto 2.0', there is the ALT_INNOVATIVE Index already http://alt19.com/marketindexes.html

'anons' and an ANON Index is a great idea but maybe someone else will calculate it?  Exchanges, for example? ALT_SHADOW Index...

I'm not a friend of these coins, they may attract the attention of regulators. As a result, digital currencies (including coins with transparent transactions) may suffer. Transparent transactions (BTC, LTC, DOGE, NXT) are the compromise.

ShadowCash SDC is really great technically, and some investors like CANN, but just imagine components of Dow Jones would be stocks of drug
cartels. Shadow Colombian Cash Inc. Earnings Release, Major Holders, Research Reports... Sounds weird at least.

My opinion is that it would be enough to have the most famous and high value 'anons' (DASH and XMR currently) in the ALT19 Index.

What do other members think?

BurstIncomeAsset

Activity: 504
Merit: 511

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 02:08:04 AM

NXT and BURST are a good choice in my opinion. They are similar but also different in certain cases. Choose the one you like.
alt19 (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 11:09:44 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2015, 02:00:08 PM by alt19

I like it that you're creating an index, OP but calling those coins as "blue chips" is just stupid.  All of them are under 500m usd in market capitalization ffs.

But if there's another crypto at say 50 usd per coin, then that's a 'blue chip'.

tokeweed, of course they are not 'blue chips' like Apple or Google shares.
Apple market cap is higher than $600B.
BTC market cap?

We have a very small market these days.

"As befits the sometimes high-risk nature of stock picking, 'blue chip' derives from poker. The simplest sets of poker betting discs include white, red, and blue chips, with tradition dictating that the blues are highest in value. If a white chip is worth $1, a red is usually worth $5, and a blue $25".

So it is relative.  $25 is less than $500 mln. Still it is a blue chip Smiley

If you have other candidates, please point them.

I get what you're doing.  But please call it something else.  Because they are far far away from being in the same vicinity of a blue chip.  It sounds like a joke tbh.  No offense.

And plus who made you the 'man' to decide all this.  Shouldn't all the exchanges be the ones to get to decide?  Even if it's unofficial...?

Exchanges decide which coins TO LIST.
I'm not able to include coins that are not listed. They have no prices at all.
Users, investors, members (not exchanges) decide which coins to trade, to support, to develop.

On November 1st, 2015 Bittrex will delist 37 coins including CYP, HAL, GRID, RZR, SFR, SYNC, WATER, ZRC.  Some of them had pretty large market cap and still have holders.

Poloniex has killed many small coins by delisting them.

Exchanges often list coins that are hot right now only and then delist them when volumes decrease.
Altcoin indices must not contain the components that are under risks of delisting.

Why it is not a solution to include top market cap coins only?

To diversify, to balance risks and rewards, and to protect investors from investing in overpriced IPO's and quasi-innovative new coins with no history and hypes like XPY.

I hope it's clearer now why the components of altcoin indices must be coins with some history and with Cryptsy listing.

The components must be stable. They shouldn't be changed every day or every month.

Charts, historical data show how your long term investments go, your profits, losses (%), but if we change the components regularly then charts and historical data will not be representative. For example, you will not be able to find out how much money you would have if you bought the components an year ago.

The components of the Dow Jones have changed 53 times only in its 128-year history.

HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 02:30:31 PM

I think you must select altcoin 5 index only, 19 coins are too much  Wink Market is full of many altcoins  Cheesy
maokoto

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2015, 04:47:04 PM

I think you must select altcoin 5 index only, 19 coins are too much  Wink Market is full of many altcoins  Cheesy

Yes, a shorter index would be better if the intention is to gather the "blue chip" coins. I also agree with other posters that LTC is far above the others.

alt19 (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 08:15:45 PM
Last edit: October 02, 2015, 06:30:50 AM by alt19

I agree that LTC is above the others.
That's why the weight of Litecoin component at the beginning was approximately 10%, the weight of other 18 components was about 5% each.

But do you agree that it is the reason Litecoin shouldn't be included?
Following this logic Apple shares or Standard Oil shares are (were) inappropriate components of the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

I agree that the "blue chip" coins are LTC, DOGE, NXT, DASH, maybe ETH.
If we don't include LTC, there are 3-4 coins and that would be a shorter index. But then there would be no diversification. No balance between risks and rewards. Not interesting. Especially if whales would decide to dump their "blue chips".

So you're right, the ALT19 Index is not a "blue chip" index currently. It should simply contain 19 significant altcoins. The index is not a classification. It may contain very different/well-diversified coins. Standard and poor, smart and fool's... Which are "smart" and which are "fool's"? Who knows? Only time will tell.

Please suggest coins which you consider as the most significant ones.
BurstIncomeAsset

Activity: 504
Merit: 511

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 01:55:02 AM

NXT and BURST are a good choice in my opinion. They are similar but also different in certain cases. Choose the one you like.

It looks like BURST is having an uptrend now, the morale is back and we got a strong community. I would definitely buy BURST in your place, it might be the next big thing.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: