Bitcoin Forum
July 22, 2024, 05:23:52 PM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Panhandlers/street beggers by local area  (Read 337 times)
tommorisonwebdesign (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 07:18:21 PM

What are the panhandlers like in your city? Here in Vancouver, the provincial government offers a minimum housing allowance ($375 CAD per month) plus $500 for total expenses to people with disabilities and those who are having difficulty finding work (disabled people get more money). There are many buildings around the city for people on welfare who cannot afford to live anywhere else. Still it is a very expensive city and the wait lists are very long to get into affordable housing. In my hometown, there is a lot of unhoused people but I know several people in my building and many other housed people who panhandle. (They got a gripe against me since I code and post for what I need). Furthermore 95% of all panhandlers panhandle for drugs.

Then I get on the plane and go to New York City, and something I didn't expect happen people begging on the subway. To my surprise, many people would give the begger money and they may rake in $100 in a quick 3 minute train ride. The homeless in New York were way more honest and a lot more polite about asking commuters for money. Back home, panhandlers feel a sense of entitlement to other peoples hard earned money and will often swear and yell at people who do not give them money. The New York psanhandlers were way more sucessful getting spare change.

What are panhandlers like in the city you live in?

Signatures? How about learning a skill... I don't care either way. Everybody has to make a living somehow.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: