Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:55:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Concerns about Ultraprune  (Read 11495 times)
Atlas (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 09:22:54 AM

Atlas I don't understand how storing data differently locally changes how this data is verified to be valid?

Also please slow down, or I'll be forced to start clicking the Delete this reply button.
When you change the format of data, couldn't it be altered if an error is made in implementing the new format?
Wouldn't bad data being verified into the blockchain mistakenly be a problem?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Polvos

Activity: 597
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 09:24:55 AM

Atlas, in my opinion, you are doing a great job as a bitcoin spirit guardian. I really appreciate the devil advocate rol in your defense of a independent and decentralized blockchain.

You must really be doing things great when some of the people posting here use ad hominem arguments showing a sheep brainless behaviour to your warnings.

I agree with the need of months of hard testing before launching big or potentially dangerous changes in the system.

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 09:32:09 AM

Atlas I don't understand how storing data differently locally changes how this data is verified to be valid?

Also please slow down, or I'll be forced to start clicking the Delete this reply button.
When you change the format of data, couldn't it be altered if an error is made in implementing the new format?

No it couldn't. Because the "mechanism" inside the entire client code that validates the data is separate from the "mechanism" that stores the data. So even if bad data gets stored, next time it's read it wont pass the valid data test by this or any other client in the network.

Therefor how data is stored is not a protocol change as you've advertised it unless they also changed the mechanism for data validation.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 09:34:33 AM

What atlas says make sense, the problem is how he says that... A title saying "might introduce a serious change to the protocol" means nothing. The thread you opened is about BUGS in the new database system, not about the change itself. The change is fine and will greatly boost the blockchain download speed. As for bugs, well sure, the new system must be tested, but then please get a proper title  Cheesy Right now it seems the problem is the new protocol!

Atlas (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 09:40:08 AM

What atlas says make sense, the problem is how he says that... A title saying "might introduce a serious change to the protocol" means nothing. The thread you opened is about BUGS in the new database system, not about the change itself. The change is fine and will greatly boost the blockchain download speed. As for bugs, well sure, the new system must be tested, but then please get a proper title  Cheesy Right now it seems the problem is the new protocol!

Yeah, thanks.

Hazel, my concern would then be is if these new data stores can interfere with the verification process unintentionally due to extraneous code.

My knowledge is shallow, that is true. However, I think we can agree the blockchain makes Bitcoin.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 09:40:42 AM

Welcome to my ignore list. Trolling the other pull thread too in addition to this? Your ignore button can now be even more orange.

Changes to how the blockchain is stored on a local client do not affect the Bitcoin protocol or the way signature verifications work. It can only improve things. We already see the failings of the current BerkleyDB format with its single-purpose huge index file, notably the inevitable unrecoverable corruption that comes from writing and rewriting 2GB files, and we are halfway to the file size limit of the hard-coded index. Many alternate clients already store the blockchain in different ways.
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 09:44:11 AM

Welcome to my ignore list. Trolling the other pull thread too in addition to this? Your ignore button can now be even more orange.

Changes to how the blockchain is stored on a local client do not affect the Bitcoin protocol or the way signature verifications work. It can only improve things. We already see the failings of the current BerkleyDB format with its single-purpose huge index file, notably the inevitable unrecoverable corruption that comes from writing and rewriting 2GB files, and we are halfway to the file size limit of the hard-coded index. Many alternate clients already store the blockchain in different ways.

Thanks, things are clearer now but I remain skeptical.

I do not fear being wrong in this case. I only fear being right. Your ignores won't influence me.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 09:48:59 AM

Yeah, thanks.

Hazek, my concern would then be is if these new data stores can interfere with the verification process unintentionally due to extraneous code.

It could, but that's a bug, not a protocol change.

My knowledge is shallow, that is true.

You are quite right, it's also the source of all these ad hominem attacks against you from people who do understand it and can easily tell just how wrong you are.

However, I think we can agree the blockchain makes Bitcoin.

It does not. What makes bitcoin are rules that govern it and the mechanisms that are at work that apply these rules. The existence of the blockchain is such a mechanism, the structure of the blockchain is not.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

Atlas (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 09:51:54 AM

Yeah, thanks.

Hazek, my concern would then be is if these new data stores can interfere with the verification process unintentionally due to extraneous code.

It could, but that's a bug, not a protocol change.

My knowledge is shallow, that is true.

You are quite right, it's also the source of all these ad hominem attacks against you from people who do understand it and can easily tell just how wrong you are.

However, I think we can agree the blockchain makes Bitcoin.

It does not. What makes bitcoin are rules that govern it and the mechanisms that are at work that apply these rules. The existence of the blockchain is such a mechanism, the structure of the blockchain is not.

What I fear is a bug then which has been my fear from the OP. All I want is this code to be looked over very carefully.

Anyways, it's great to be wrong.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 09:53:09 AM

I suggest you change your OP to reflect that.

Nvm, I see you already have..

Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 10:34:29 AM

If we change how blocks are verified and mined, and that is done with a bug included, it could lead to massive damage for the Bitcoin network as a whole since verification is everything.

Yes, of course. This is a very fundamental change, and it will require an extraordinary amount of testing before this will end up in a release. No one is thinking about just releasing this right now. This took a long time to write and tweak to get it in its current form, and took all precautions I could to make sure it behaves exactly as the old code - I'm all aware of the risks if it happens to contain a bug. However, in my opinion it is also the right way forward. We need to make sure fully validating nodes can keep running on end-user hardware, without crippling their machines.

How this was tested:
  • I've received and sent coins with it.
  • I've p2pool-mined on an ultraprune Bitcoind with 1 GH/s for a few weeks. An actual block was found.
  • I've written code to calculate a hash of the uncompressed database state, both for the old and new schema's. In every test, they result in exactly the same hash for the same block.

Nonetheless, the change is so large that claiming that it is bug free would be naive (and in fact, a bug was probably found already, as you pointed out). That is why I asked for testers in the announcements - we need the bugs to be found now and not later.

Can you now please change the title of this thread? I find this very offensive. I've invested weeks of my personal time in doing what is necessary to deal with the increasing scalability probles, and I get this in return? I have no problem with being cautious, but there is no need for fear mongering.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Prattler

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 11:08:25 AM

This should not be taken lightly at all. They want to restructure the entire blockchain which could potentially break Bitcoin if implemented poorly and all the nodes accept it.

Push them not to implement this change into Bitcoin-Qt/Bitcoind until it has been tested for at least 6 months.

Atlas and Co is the real DANGER. This change will benefit bitcoin A LOT!
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 11:14:55 AM

Atlas, that is the blockchain prune you prick!  Undecided

Peter is working for almost a year on it, so you better start learning how to read code and don't spend you energy on stupid threads like this one. In the future "the literate" could be only the people who know how to read and write computer code, the rest will still believe in withes and magic like they always did.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 11:16:24 AM

Technical problems call for technical solutions, not wild arm flailing DANGER WILL ROBINSON screaming. Use testnet, report bugs, be constructive. This thread isn't helping your cause.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 11:38:40 AM

Technical problems call for technical solutions, not wild arm flailing DANGER WILL ROBINSON screaming. Use testnet, report bugs, be constructive. This thread isn't helping your cause.
Atlas is a Computer Noob, can't code, and i don't think he knows how to use a terminal.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 11:57:39 AM

Atlas, I've got some reading for you
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 01:26:20 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=119525.0

This should not be taken lightly at all. They want to restructure the entire blockchain which could potentially break Bitcoin if implemented poorly and all the nodes accept it.

Push them not to implement this change into Bitcoin-Qt/Bitcoind until it has been tested for at least 6 months.

I saw the title of the thread, secondly I checked whether or not it was Atlas starting the topic. Once determined it in deed was Atlas, care no more about this thread.
Stapleddiet

Activity: 89
Merit: 13

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 01:55:40 PM

Atlas you seem to have a good grasp of english, perhaps you could use that to voicing your concerns in a different way. If you are really concerned about how Bitcoin fares, less sensational sounding topics to go to google would be helpful to the whole project overall.

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 01:58:43 PM

While I disagree with your methods of communication and your motives sometimes, I do agree with you here.

As Bitcoin progresses and scales up, much more is at stake.

Not only should we wait a few months and thoroughly tested, but a standard path of Quality Assurance should be implemented.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 02:28:10 PM

As I understand the biggest change is to a higher performance database engine and logical layout of blockchain storage on local node. To ease the mind - some alternate clients like Ufasoft Coin use custom database already that is more compact size and someone might have mined a block using Ufasoft Coin.

Will the new 0.8 client be able to communicate with 0.3.xx properly? If Yes, then it is OK because no protocol is changed. Then please not upgrade all at once and give diversity and time to test it large scale.

Are bugs dangerous? Of course they are, we must have a plan what to do when something breaks. Testing, more testing and code reviews are the way to rule out any bugs.
There was a serious bug back in 2010 that caused blockchain rollback. Look up Wiki for this.

Still the ASCII Bernanke would be there forever!

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: