Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:17:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoind for synology nas (ARM)  (Read 21097 times)
lebuen

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 04:13:15 PM

Any news? Is it working? Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ziomik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1009

SELL bitcoinmarket.net | bitcoinitalia.com SELL

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2013, 04:22:53 PM

Arrived at block 19967 !
it's hard!  Tongue

DOMINI IN VENDITA/NOLEGGIO
bitcoinmarket.net | bitcoinitalia.com

Contattatemi pure per info.
---- +++ ----
"Se domani senti due massaie che parlano di bitcoin tra di loro dal macellaio, forse e' il momento di vendere.. se pero' le sentirai fra 10 anni forse staranno solo pagando il conto" GBianchi
---- +++ ----
JhonDoe

Activity: 323
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 06:50:17 PM

Hi.
I am interested in continue this topic because I try to install a Bitcoin node in a Synology and it is the nearest information to do it that I have found.

If someone has new information about this I will feel happy if he/she shares with us.

I'll try to follow this guide step by step and I will tell here my progress.

Thanks.
Doe
johoe

Activity: 217
Merit: 238

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:50:42 AM

I am interested in continue this topic because I try to install a Bitcoin node in a Synology and it is the nearest information to do it that I have found.

If someone has new information about this I will feel happy if he/she shares with us.

I gave up on this idea.  My ARM-based synology has only 512 MB of RAM.  This is less than what bitcoind used to take on my desktop.  Maybe it is better now. Still the ARM processor is slow and it will take a long time to catch up with the block chain (if it will catch up at all).  Maybe one can "pre-index" the blockchain by copying the .bitcoin/blocks directory from another computer.  I'm not sure if the index can be ported over to a different architecture, though.

I thought about making a non-verifying bitcoind that just stores the blockchain without doing any checking at all (or at least avoid the most expensive ones, like signature and UTXO checking).  Then use an SPV client that connects to this bitcoind.  This avoids leaking any information about the transactions you are requesting and it still has the security of SPV.  I haven't started doing anything in this direction, though.

If you have a x86-based synology with 2 GB of RAM then you should be able to run bitcoind out of the box.

Donations to 1CF62UFWXiKqFUmgQMUby9DpEW5LXjypU3
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 12:59:08 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I gave up on this idea.  My ARM-based synology has only 512 MB of RAM.  This is less than what bitcoind used to take on my desktop.  Maybe it is better now.

If you run the configure script with --disable-wallet, make will build a bitcoind executable that consumes only ~200 MB RAM.

The processor will still get tortured by the verification. Possibly the use of Intel low power chips with libsecp256k (the Bitcoin Core developed crypto library) verification code could make this sort of idea more practicable, but it'd be wise to wait until that code is being used in the main client (apparently the library is only used for signing txs in 0.10.0)

Vires in numeris
theringe

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2017, 07:33:34 PM

I still have a try on this moment although it's nothing worth trying at all  Tongue

I originally want to save the power/time from syncing data, which use my DS115j to get latest blickchain files 24/7 and docking my laptop with faster synchronization when needed.

so I didn't compile wallet and gui(qt) in my case.

here's my platform:
VMWare Ubuntu 64 bit 16.04 netboot only with openssh
Host CPU: 4 of 8 core intel xeon E3-1505M v5
MEM: 4GB

and here's the processes, and it's taking about 20 minutes
Code:

# unnecessary installation but useful
apt-get install sudo ssh vim ntpdate screen htop iftop nmap bzip2

# compiling tools
apt-get install make binutils xutils-dev libc6-i386

# cross compiling tools
apt-get install g++-arm-linux-gnueabihf curl

# bitcoin needed
apt-get install git-core autotools-dev automake pkg-config bsdmainutils build-essential autoconf libssl-dev libboost-dev libboost-chrono-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-program-options-dev libboost-system-dev libboost-test-dev libboost-thread-dev libtool libevent-dev

# bitcoin optional
apt-get install miniupnpc libminiupnpc-dev libzmq3-dev

# create working dir
cd ~
mkdir ds115j
WDIR=/root/ds115j
DIST=$WDIR/dist

# prepare your toolchain file to working dir (says xvf armada370-gcc493_glibc220_hard-GPL.txz is for DS115j in my case)
cd $WDIR
tar xvf armada370-gcc493_glibc220_hard-GPL.txz

# setting the variables
cd $WDIR
export PATH="${WDIR}/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/bin:${PATH}"
export CC="${WDIR}/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-gcc"
export CXX="${WDIR}/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-g++"
export AR="${WDIR}/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-ar"
export LD="${WDIR}/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-ld"
export RANLIB="${WDIR}/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-ranlib"
export CFLAGS="-I${WDIR}/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/include"
export LDFLAGS="-L${WDIR}/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/lib"
export LINK=$CXX

# specify your target version of bitcoin (says 0.14.1 in my case)
export ver=0.14.1

# cross compiling related tools
cd $WDIR
git clone -b v${ver} https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin
cd bitcoin/depends
make HOST=arm-linux-gnueabihf NO_QT=1 NO_WALLET=1 -j4

# cross compiling bitcoin
cd ..
./autogen.sh
LDFLAGS="-static-libstdc++" \
./configure \
--prefix=`pwd`/depends/arm-linux-gnueabihf \
--enable-upnp-default \
--enable-glibc-back-compat \
--enable-reduce-exports \
--disable-wallet \
--with-gui=no
make -j4
make install

# packing
cd depends
mv arm-linux-gnueabihf bitcoin-${ver}-arm-linux-gnueabihf
tar -c ./bitcoin-${ver}-arm-linux-gnueabihf/ | gzip -9 > ./bitcoin-${ver}-arm-linux-gnueabihf.tar.gz

after that, you can copy your bitcoin-${ver}-arm-linux-gnueabihf.tar.gz to the DS115j
spin

Activity: 362
Merit: 261

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 10:56:02 AM

Assuming you are running another node who's output you trust you could use the assumevalid option to speed things up perhaps:

assumevalid=<hex>   If this block is in the chain assume that it and its ancestors are valid and potentially skip their script verification (0 to verify all, default: 00000000000000000013176bf8d7dfeab4e1db31dc93bc311b436e82ab226b90, testnet: 00000000000128796ee387cf110ccb9d2f36cffaf7f73079c995377c65ac0dcc)
You would specify a more recent block than the default of course.

Or also copy over an up to date blockchain directory from a node you trust.

If you liked this post buy me a beer.  Beers are quite cheap where I live!
bc1q707guwp9pc73r08jw23lvecpywtazjjk399daa
jackcole

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2017, 12:48:22 PM

Hi, has anyone tried to compile with success bitcoind for nas synology DS211j (arm)?
I'm going crazy!

That looks quite promising. A bit techy, but seems like it can be pulled off.
Still, I'd have to put quite a few pieces together myself and I'm not really interested in downloading someone else's work as this would be a perfect place to implement a trojan horse to empty the wallet.
In my opinion the perfect scenario would be if the Bitcoin team officially offered this as a downloaded package I could trust, but that's probably pretty far down on their TODO list.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: