Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:26:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it more suitable for Bitcoin users to use Andriod rather than use iPhone 4?  (Read 1663 times)
gabgab (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 01:52:06 PM

i think there are more bitcoin users who use android rather than iphone 4 - android seems more in line with the libertarian streak.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonymous

June 04, 2011, 01:54:32 PM

Apple removed a bitcoin app so yes android is my next phone.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1309

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 02:16:29 PM

Apple removed a bitcoin app so yes android is my next phone.

iPhone 4 owner here.  Sorry Apple, I'm going Android too, and it's because of bitcoin.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Ricochet

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 04:50:58 PM

Android is "open" sure... to carriers.  Carriers then close it up and assume control over it.  How many Android users do you know that would like to get the latest version but can't because their carrier hasn't supplied an update?  How many of them needed to root their phones to get them to do what they want?  And how is that any different than iPhone jailbreaking?  There is the exception of the Nexus One, but that's hardly a blip on the radar.

Don't get me wrong; I agree that Android is more suitable than an iDevice, but the difference isn't as big as most would like to believe.

Disclaimer: I own an iPhone 3GS, but I wouldn't have bought it if I couldn't jailbreak it.  On its own it's way too limiting.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 05:07:46 PM

Android is "open" sure... to carriers.  Carriers then close it up and assume control over it.  How many Android users do you know that would like to get the latest version but can't because their carrier hasn't supplied an update?  How many of them needed to root their phones to get them to do what they want?  And how is that any different than iPhone jailbreaking?  There is the exception of the Nexus One, but that's hardly a blip on the radar.

Don't get me wrong; I agree that Android is more suitable than an iDevice, but the difference isn't as big as most would like to believe.

Disclaimer: I own an iPhone 3GS, but I wouldn't have bought it if I couldn't jailbreak it.  On its own it's way too limiting.

if you buy your phone direct (for example, from here:

http://www.totobay.com/ )

those problems all go away.

i use a tablet i bought from totobay, with a 3G dongle.
Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 05:16:04 PM

But again, I feel that people who buy their phones from such websites are a minority.  The average user is going to buy their Android phone from a major national carrier, and because of that it will be no more open than the iPhone.
datguywhowanders

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 05:29:46 PM

I agree with Ricochet in that the majority of users won't know about rooting or buying their phones unlocked to begin with, but there are more advantages to android than what can be performed after having full control over the device.

Right now Android has widgets and iDevices don't. While Steve has said they're coming in the future, right now this is a major difference between the two platforms. I LOVE having the Mt. Gox widget on my home screen. It's the first thing I see when I wake up in the morning.

And especially for our small, yet growing community, the ease with which one can publish to the android marketplace versus the jumping-through-hoops system one will find publishing to the Apple App Store allows us the flexibility to get new apps out there as soon as they're developed. I'm really hoping to see some killer Android apps pop up soon that allow transactions and wallet storage.

I own a mix of devices in my house. My wife and I both have Android phones, but we both own Macbook Pros. I have a Motorola Xoom, and she has an iPad 2. Both systems have merits, but I think Android makes a better choice for the early adoption of Bitcoin.

Donations Welcome: 163id7T8KZ6MevqT86DjrBF2kfCPrQsfZE
Astro

Activity: 284

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 05:34:34 PM

Apple won't allow bitcoin apps until they can take 30% of the revenue transferred through such an app.  The choice is easy.
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 05:38:52 PM

iphone 4 here.

I would love to switch phones but it just seems like a huge hassle.  Mine is jailbroken and I have quite a few apps and what not.  Only thing that bugs me is lack of flash.  Having a vandetta against a company and not supporting their software even though they have like 95% market share is just stupid, and bad business.

At least include flash w\ an on/off toggle like java.

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 05:43:56 PM

Apple won't allow bitcoin apps until they can take 30% of the revenue transferred through such an app.  The choice is easy.

+1

i have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for steve jobs - he's probably the finest marketer of the past 50 years, and a geek extraordinaire.  he's changed the world.

that said, i would never buy a mac product.  there's too little freedom to them.  i want no walled gardens - no matter how enticing or reliable they might be.

my home is a linux shop.  as are all my miners, servers, and etc.  i like having to depend on my own ability and knowledge.  and i see no reason to have to pay outrageous sums for somebody else's.
Freakin

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 06:16:26 PM

I'd expect a bitcoin app for jailbroken iphones fairly soon.

Has anyone reached out to the dev of the pulled app store bitcoin app?  Maybe he'd put it up on Cydia for cheap/free
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 08:34:56 PM

I'd expect a bitcoin app for jailbroken iphones fairly soon.

Has anyone reached out to the dev of the pulled app store bitcoin app?  Maybe he'd put it up on Cydia for cheap/free

Maybe, if he believes in bitcoins - he'd put it up on cydia and have the app charge a one time fee to be sent to an address he controls to validate the purchase. In bitcoins, of course Smiley

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
cloud9

Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 08:36:52 PM

Because it is webbased https://www.mybitcoin.com/ would be platform independent for everyday use.  But it has its limitations.

Reikoku

Activity: 140

firstbits: 1kwc1p

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 08:43:32 PM

Happily on Blackberry.

Google has a reputation for tracking its users moves and has bowed down to pressure from carriers to keep their phones locked.

And not gonna lie, there isn't a droid with typing capability like the Torch.

Rei | 1Kwc1pqv54jCg8jvnm3Gu1dqFQYhS34Bow
Trades So Far: 7
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: