Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:28:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What 2.0 Currency do you think will be the most successful?
NXT - 74 (30.6%)
NEM - 73 (30.2%)
Ethereum - 25 (10.3%)
Qora / Qora 2.0 - 1 (0.4%)
Crypti - 18 (7.4%)
BitShares 2.0 - 43 (17.8%)
Skycoin - 5 (2.1%)
None - 3 (1.2%)
Total Voters: 242

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What 2.0 Currency will be the most successful?  (Read 17787 times)
Peachy

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 03:35:39 PM

Not very careful in your homepage. 

http://imgur.com/2aD8MQS

How about an asterisk for that claim?

RADiX (formerly eMunie): The future of money
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
StanLarimer

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 03:52:06 PM

Good point.  I'll get that done! 
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 07:16:37 PM

BitShares will launch on schedule with enough throughput to support all current needs plus all of Bitcoin and most altcoins combined

How did you solve micropayments problem?
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 10:35:28 PM
Last edit: October 06, 2015, 10:50:36 PM by sidhujag

BitShares will launch on schedule with enough throughput to support all current needs plus all of Bitcoin and most altcoins combined

How did you solve micropayments problem?

While most other blockchains are settlement systems, bitshares also has capabilities of a processing system competing with nasdaq/visa without the need for microtx technologies which may help bitcoin to achieve these capabilities but aren't here yet without issues which I am sure you know of. So while bitshares gets network affect bitcoin will still be used as a settlement system until it catches up with new technology. DPOS seems to let you become a processor, albeit at first glance it seems like a tradeoff  has been taken between security/performance (satoshi chose the far end of the spectrum of security to be safe) however if you study the fact that DPOS isn't more centralized than mining pools today then we can conclude that bitshares safely acts as a settlement and processing system.

The premise of bitshares to be a DEX meant it had to act as a processor from the beginning because noone would accept 2 min delays to clear trades. This necessitated the need for some consensus like DPOS which allowed it to happen. As long as delegates can remain anonymous and latency is not an issue, transfer tx's are 300 bytes on avg (far smaller than bitcoins) then you can judge if its a technical innovation in blockchain technology or just vapourware yourself. If delegates can remain anon, then forceful regulation is avoided and keeps the dream of a decentralized settlement system alive, with the processing capabilities of visa/nasdaq to boot!

Even if regulation is a concern to authorities, bts has been designed to comply with laws so the corrupt regulators who want to shut down the system really have no choice and no angle to try to convince the public that regulation is required by forcefully targeting miners (delegates). This helps to remove the incentives for regulators and increases incentives to use a decentralized system as satoshi's dreamed for society (us) to do.

It might make sense for someone to port DPOS/bitshares to bitcoin network rules and see if it solves the block size limit debate by testing large TPS in a real world scenario. If its just a settlement system at the core we are after I think that this port would overtake bitcoin on a better technical implementation.

Because delegates are chosen to create blocks randomely the mining pool collusion is not applicable to bitshares where pools share headers to get a head start on the next block (centralization). Block propogation is less of an issue if you have 10 min blocks, so you can load them up with 10k TPS on a standard network and probably be stable.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 10:48:18 PM

While most other blockchains are settlement systems, bitshares also has capabilities of a processing system competing with nasdaq/visa without the need for microtx technologies which may help bitcoin to achieve these capabilities but aren't here yet without issues which I am sure you know of. So while bitshares gets network affect bitcoin will still be used as a settlement system until it catches up with new technology. DPOS seems to let you become a processor, albeit at first glance it seems like a tradeoff  has been taken between security/performance (satoshi chose the far end of the spectrum of security to be safe) however if you study the fact that DPOS isn't more centralized than mining pools today then we can conclude that bitshares safely acts as a settlement and processing system.

The premise of bitshares to be a DEX meant it had to act as a processor from the beginning because noone would accept 2 min delays to clear trades. This necessitated the need for some consensus like DPOS which allowed it to happen. As long as delegates can remain anonymous and latency is not an issue, transfer tx's are 300 bytes on avg (far smaller than bitcoins) then you can judge if its a technical innovation in blockchain technology or just vapourware yourself. If delegates can remain anon, then forceful regulation is avoided and keeps the dream of a decentralized settlement system alive, with the processing capabilities of visa/nasdaq to boot!

Even if regulation is a concern to authorities, bts has been designed to comply with laws so the corrupt regulators who want to shut down the system really have no choice and no angle to try to convince the public that regulation is required by forcefully targeting miners (delegates). This helps to remove the incentives for regulators and increases incentives to use a decentralized system as satoshi's dreamed for society (us) to do.

I'm not sure I got you. I was talking about the problem of sending very small amounts (fractions of US cent). Your post make me think that BTS doesn't support micropayments.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 10:55:19 PM

I'm not sure I got you. I was talking about the problem of sending very small amounts (fractions of US cent). Your post make me think that BTS doesn't support micropayments.

Ahh, i was thinking more like processing transactions and having them settle without the nuisance of waiting an hour. I've sent 0.01 bitUSD before no problems, im not sure how many decimal places it lets me use, if you ask on bitshares talk im sure someone can give you some bitusd to try it out.
Tobo

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 01:21:33 AM
Last edit: October 07, 2015, 02:19:35 AM by Tobo

The success of any coins will depend on if they can get bootstrapped in a certain time window (maybe 1-3 years), namely, making profit, having steady revenue and cash flow.
mixmaster

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 02:20:43 AM

NXT and NEM are both good choices.
My vote is for the NEM blockchain platform with Proof-of-Importance, EigenTrust++, delegated harvesting and m-of-n multisig.

I dont get why is that so sophisticated to have that algorithm.

It may prove to be useful later, but at the moment they dont have lightweight client, which is a big down for me.
That couldn't be less true.
In fact, every NEM client is a lightweight client, because you can hook it up to ANY node.
See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW4ftmOzfPk
nzminer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 02:28:50 AM

My vote is for the NEM blockchain platform with Proof-of-Importance, EigenTrust++, delegated harvesting and m-of-n multisig.

It may prove to be useful later, but at the moment they dont have lightweight client, which is a big down for me.
In fact, every NEM client is a lightweight client, because you can hook it up to ANY node.

Quite true!  Cheesy

NEM, THE SECURE, SCALABLE BLOCKCHAIN [NEM.IO] [T.ME/NEMRED]
darkagentx

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 02:38:36 AM

I think ethereum will still be successfull and then bitshares will follow next.

RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 02:41:52 AM

Hmm i didnt know you can do that.

But still it doesnt come close to NXT in terms of features and usefullness.

patmast3r

Activity: 980

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:27:54 AM

Features - yes. Usefullness - debatable. 

nzminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:36:31 AM

Adoption is the key.
Once bitcoin's flaws become apparent, people will be flocking over to NXT or NEM.

Bitcoin was just a beta project essentially a proof of concept piece of software that took off with no future proofing in mind.
Its worse than the problem we have with running out of ipv4 addresses.

patmast3r

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:43:40 AM

Adoption is the key.
Once bitcoin's flaws become apparent, people will be flocking over to NXT or NEM.

Bitcoin was just a beta project essentially a proof of concept piece of software that took off with no future proofing in mind.
Its worse than the problem we have with running out of ipv4 addresses.

I agree about adoption being key. That means that tech is less important though which also means that BTC - a mere proof of concept indeed - is still very much in the race. There are so many bagholders now that are pushing it despite all flaws that in the end it doesn't really matter how flawed it is or isn't. All that matters will be what crypto has the backing of people that can actually push it into mainstream and right now BTC still seems to have the best chances there.

RealBitcoin

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:52:17 AM

Well i`ll be following both NEM, and ETH alongside with NXT to have a comparison as they are both similar genre.

I am even thiking about investing in NEM, but i`m still not convinced about it, i`ll have to do more research.

The thing i like with NXT is that it has a big and userfriendly forum, I dont like the shiny NEM forum format.

I prefer the SMF forum theme Cheesy

nzminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 08:04:40 AM

Well i`ll be following both NEM, and ETH alongside with NXT to have a comparison as they are both similar genre.

I am even thiking about investing in NEM, but i`m still not convinced about it, i`ll have to do more research.

The thing i like with NXT is that it has a big and userfriendly forum, I dont like the shiny NEM forum format.

NXT is my top pick.
But there are some interesting things i do really like about NEM

EvilDave

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 08:08:24 AM

The success of any coins will depend on if they can get bootstrapped in a certain time window (maybe 1-3 years), namely, making profit, having steady revenue and cash flow.

Are you talking about a crypto-currency or a corporate start-up ?
Admittedly, most of the current gen 2.0 currencies are being run as centralised corporations, but you cannot measure the success of a crypto-currency on those criteria.
Adoption may be the most important measure of success.....but even that could be up for debate,

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
RealBitcoin

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 09:12:55 AM

NXT is my top pick.
But there are some interesting things i do really like about NEM

You mean the authenticaton system based on nodes, and trust. Thati s innovative in NEM, but i dont know how practically useful that is.

The old POS systems are good too, and we shall see which one tends to be better in reality, not just in theory.

I also prefer NXT as the best altcoin now.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 10:16:08 AM

By burning coins instead of creating them, BitShares will become the first profitable crypto because its miners do not mine new coins but get paid only out of transaction fees which are also used to pay devs, and burn for shareholder "dividends"

Thank you for this gem. I requested password recovery on BTS forum but hasn't received the letter even after 10 hours of waiting. Now I don't need to post my question regarding micropayments on their forum, the answer is pretty clear.
patmast3r

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 10:27:58 AM

By burning coins instead of creating them, BitShares will become the first profitable crypto because its miners do not mine new coins but get paid only out of transaction fees which are also used to pay devs, and burn for shareholder "dividends"

Thank you for this gem. I requested password recovery on BTS forum but hasn't received the letter even after 10 hours of waiting. Now I don't need to post my question regarding micropayments on their forum, the answer is pretty clear.

I guess this brilliant system was also devised with constant 100k TPS in mind? Otherwise you're not gonna get enough fees to pay everyone and their uncle.
Also saying BTS is the frist to pay miners solely from the tx fees is just so utterly wrong. Is that another lie the bts marketing has been telling you ?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: