Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:55:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stolen Bitcoins :(  (Read 3748 times)
antheahartmann (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 02:54:22 AM

Heyy everyone!

I thought that using a captcha like password would be the safest bet, but all of my bitcoins (491 BTC) were stolen from my account yesterday. I would ask if people could please, continue to post your advice on how people can keep money safe! I had a very horrible day yesterday as I lost a ton of money Sad  I know the hacker can not be caught due to the anonymity of the system, and i do not expect to get any of the money back. Make sure to read the how to on how to's on this site to keep your bitcoin safe! I did not know about the bitcoin forums until quite recently

Thank you very much for your surpport!
Anthea <3

PS.

Donations can be made to: 19KRZqVGBaqkbMQ1XJSNnXRmSfmt1HsPN1 if yall want to Smiley this is NOT the hackers address, and i wont disclose it incase one gets mixed up. Dont want to be funding the bastard.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 05:01:48 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2012, 03:48:06 PM by Stephen Gornick

I had a very horrible day yesterday as I lost a ton of money

Sorry to learn of that.

continue to post your advice on how people can keep money safe!

One of the ways to prevent similar scenarios from happening in the future is to study what went wrong in the past.  Could you share any of the details and any information that would describe the manner in which the coins might have been stolen?

If you need to store some bitcoins on an exchange (e.g, while performing trading or plans to do so soon), then two-factor authentication is a must!

How to use 2-factor auth on mtgox, even without a smartphone
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=111943.0

For most people, keeping a computer secure enough to store several thousands of dollars worth of bitcoins is beyond their technical capabilities.  As a result, cold storage likely is a more secure method to consider:

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Cold_storage

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

awesomey

Activity: 26
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 05:12:57 AM

wow... sorry to hear man. Makes me think twice about how to keep my wallet safe.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 05:14:16 AM

Sorry about your loss.

I recommend paper wallets like what you can print at http://bitaddress.org.  I have never heard of a single BTC being stolen from paper wallets.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 05:29:01 AM

How does the paper wallet work? You send all your bitcoins to the address on the paper, and they're locked on it, unless you have the paper you cant get them?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 05:37:41 AM

How does the paper wallet work? You send all your bitcoins to the address on the paper, and they're locked on it, unless you have the paper you cant get them?

Exactly.

If you have lots of coin, spread them across multiple paper wallets.  Then you don't have to load your whole purse online to spend some.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 01:47:38 PM

One of the was to prevent similar scenarios from happening in the future is to study what went wrong in the past.  Could you share any of the details and any information that would describe the manner in which the coins might have been stolen?

Would love to know what happened, you have me worried I'm making some noob mistake.

I wont disclose it incase one gets mixed up. Dont want to be funding the bastard.

Please reveal the hackers address, I realize there is no real point to it, but I have more curiosity than a cat.

antheahartmann (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 05:58:51 PM

Thanks you guys for the quick responses! by the way im a girl.... anthea! Wink The paper wallet is a great idea, it at first sounded to me like something that isnt so secure (paper can rip etc...) but it sounds solid as long as no one finds your paper.

toodles <3,
Anthea
axilla

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 06:05:36 PM

and in with the begging and i'm a girl schtick.. keep your bitcoins in your pockets boys.

Growth-O-Matic Grow your business, and increase brand awareness | While everyone else delivers your news to the wire, hoping it gets picked up, we put your press release in front of the eyes of the top bloggers, writers, and decision makers in your industry.
antheahartmann (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 06:07:16 PM

wow... sorry to hear man. Makes me think twice about how to keep my wallet safe.
MiloSmith

Activity: 14

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 06:07:39 PM

I am sorry to hear you have lost your coins.  Sad  When my fiat wallet was stolen I went to the police and someone turned it in, maybe you should try that.
antheahartmann (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 06:09:47 PM

..Go to the police and tell them i buy anonymous currency? Might as well roll up a j on the steps of their offices. hahah I dont believe they will ever catch the guy..
YOKU

Activity: 131

Not All Clouds Are The Same

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 06:13:13 PM

What is a "captcha like password" ?

YOKU Cloud Hosting (www.yokuhosting.com)
Redundant Server Hosting In Our NYC Data Center
VPS Servers starting at only $20 - BTC,PayPal,CC Payments
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 06:29:24 PM

Posting the hacker's address might be a good idea, you never know what clues the hacker may have left behind.

DrButtFace

Activity: 5

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 08:03:32 PM

What is a "captcha like password" ?

I'm guessing random numbers and letters.
Handle

Activity: 12

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 11:31:24 PM

I still have no clue on how the hacker got the password, did he log it with a keylogger or did you use it somewhere else too?
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 11:36:09 PM

Sorry to hear about this wretchèd theft.

Here is a forum resource regarding security and cold wallets: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=17240.0

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
OpenYourEyes

Activity: 238

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 11:58:48 AM

I can't work out if you guys are just humouring him, or are actually naive? This sounds too much like a pity plea for the OP to get free coins.

He had a high stash of BitCoins, yet had not known or registered an account here prior to the "steal". (Impossible no, but unlikely yes)
He has not posted a single bit of proof about the theft - give us a send to address or transaction ID. (If OP replies, I bet he magically deleted his wallet).
He doesn't sound all too pissed of about loosing thousands of dollars.
And too top it all off, a donation address has just been dropped in there.

by the way im a girl.... Wink
Yes, thanks for that totally unasked for, not needed information.
Sounds like a young (notice all the <3 & xxxx) boy trying to play the "Look, girl on the Interwebs card!!11!, you have to give me attention.

takemybitcoins.com: Spend a few seconds entering a merchants email address to encourage them to accept Bitcoin
PGP key | Bitmessage: BM-GuCA7CkQ8ojXSFGrREpMDuWgv495FUX7
Metta28

Activity: 57

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 01:15:21 PM

Sorry to hear about it mate, definitely want to create a wallet on a live CD/DVD and put it on a new USB and then lock that mother up and if you want to check your account use the live CD/DVD.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2012, 05:52:22 PM

toodles

Who says this besides Mickey Mouse?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: