Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:20:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Economy... Where are the legit merchants?  (Read 759 times)
awesomey (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 06:09:45 AM

So, I really like the idea of bitcoins, but as I've been mulling over all the details, websites, mining info, etc. I seem hard pressed to see where there's a solid exchange of this currency between consumers and retail/service businesses. Mostly what I find is that the major 'commercial' sites are either TOR based (want to be anonymous for legal/illegal reasons), or set up as means to facilitate bitcoins themselves (exchange/wallet/transfer sites).

Am I missing part of the spectrum? Are there any medium or large legit businesses that accept bitcoins?

I don't mean to piss on anyone's parade, I'm genuinely wondering.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 11:08:04 AM

See here:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 07:47:09 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2012, 07:58:28 PM by Stephen Gornick

I seem hard pressed to see where there's a solid exchange of this currency between consumers and retail/service businesses.

See, back in 1991, an engineer at CERN was sharing with his peers and anyone else who would listen this invention of his from a couple years earlier.  You might not recognize it, ... but here's what it looked like:

It wasn't an instant success -- for content producers it was more difficult to set up and use than alternatives, and the experience was less than ideal for the content consumers.

Of course, that is the WWW before the graphical browser arrived -- the exact same thing you are using to view these words right now.

That's where Bitcoin is yet.  It is known the potential of a decentralized digital currency.  Bitcoin works as a cheaper, faster and better international wire transfer (for transferring the currency BTC), it works as an alternative to Western Union,  it works for retail payments ... like for this cupcake shop:
 - http://cupsandcakesbakery.com/2012/10/buy-cupcakes-with-bitcoins/

or for a cab driver:
 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scGM3nRsrlY

What Bitcoin doesn't come with is a guarantee or a big corporate backer.  Neither did Tim Berners-Lee's world wide web.  It took a while before the right combination of things came together (several years later, incidentally) before the technology changed our world ... in a huge way.

So, does Bitcoin today have any large "legit" merchants?  No, there's no national Starbucks chain yet where bitcoins are accepted.  Does that mean there won't be in the future?   I wouldn't bet on it.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 07:50:41 PM

I seem hard pressed to see where there's a solid exchange of this currency between consumers and retail/service businesses.

See, back in 1991, an engineer at CERN was sharing with his peers and anyone else who would listen this invention of his from a couple years earlier.  You might not recognize it, ... but here's what it looked like:

It wasn't an instant success -- for content producers it was more difficult to set up and use than alternatives, and the experience was less than ideal for the content consumers.

Of course, that is the WWW before the graphical browser arrived -- the exact same thing you are using to view these words right now.

That's where Bitcoin is yet.  It is known the potential of a decentralized digital currency.  It works as a cheaper, faster and better international wire transfer (for transferring the currency BTC), it works as an alternative to Western Union,  it works for retail payments ... like for this cupcake shop:
 - http://cupsandcakesbakery.com/2012/10/buy-cupcakes-with-bitcoins/

or for a cab driver:
 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scGM3nRsrlY

What Bitcoin doesn't come with is a guarantee or a big corporate backer.  Neither did Tim Berners-Lee's world wide web.  It took a while before the right combination of things came together (several years later, incidentally) before the technology changed our world ... in a huge way.

So, does Bitcoin today have any large "legit" merchants?  No, there's no national Starbucks chain yet where bitcoins are accepted.  Does that mean there won't be in the future?   I wouldn't bet on it.

Wow Stephen, I'm so going to steal this explanation one day.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: