Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:27:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Growth Fund, with Philanthropy  (Read 1640 times)
Zape (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 02:28:10 PM

Everyone,
I'd like to gauge the interest in a Mutual Fund, designed to invest only in Bitcoin stocks.  It would, of course, reside on the GLBSE.com.  Like all funds, it would be designed to spread risk and allow a manager (me) to do the legwork on vetting the investment opportunities.  I'd also like for this to not just benefit Bitcoin ventures and Fund shareholders, but also those organizations / bounties that make Bitcoin better for everyone.  So, here is my plan:

500 initial shares at 5 BTC each.  If you are only wanting to invest less, you probably shouldn't go with a fund, anyway. 

Initially I'll pay out any earnings weekly (to build confidence), but it would benefit the fund if that moved to monthly and possibly quarterly, eventually.  The fund would have no load, and the management fee would be 2% off the top of the earnings for an earning period.  Nothing made, nothing paid.  Further, 40% of the earnings would go back into the fund for further investments.  50% would be paid out to shareholders, and 8% would go to Bitcoin causes (Bitcoin Fountain would be an example).  In the event there were no earnings, or a loss was incurred for the period, nothing would be paid out.

Again here is the breakdown of how earnings would be handled:
50% - immediate dividends
40% - reinvested
8%  -  Bitcoin promotion
2%  - Fund Management

I'm gauging interest right now, so let me know.
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zape (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 03:03:26 PM

This placeholder reserved for a future list of fund holdings.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 03:08:35 PM

I'm not sure I would equate "Bitcoin promotion" with philanthropy. I do believe bitcoins are the perfect vehicle for philanthropic projects, however.

Still around.
Zape (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 03:56:06 PM

I'm not sure I would equate "Bitcoin promotion" with philanthropy. I do believe bitcoins are the perfect vehicle for philanthropic projects, however.
Fair enough.  However, I do think Bitcoin makes an interesting contribution to humanity.  Still, I suppose my belief was that most of the promotion money would go to projects such as bounties raised to convince charities to start taking Bitcoin.  When and if bitcoin reaches critical mass, the fund probably would switch to pure philanthropy.  However, as I haven't created a charter, I'm open to suggestions such as 3% to Bitcoin promotion, 5% to non-profits that accept Bitcoin.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 04:13:04 PM

I either want to invest or donate...

Also: Where do you want to invest into, that has higher profit margins than just keeping + storing BTC atm?

Edit:
Btw., we're talking about investing 2250 BTC which are currently worth 38250 USD!

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Anonymous

June 04, 2011, 04:15:37 PM

You've provided no documentation and we know nothing about your ability to manage this. Why should we invest?
Zape (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 06:50:31 PM

Sukrim:
Many of the kind of companies I want to invest into don't exist today, but some do.  I think the key to higher than BTC growth lies in investing in businesses which do business in BTC.  An example would be a company that sells computer hardware online for BTC.  Provided they had a drop-ship agreement which kept them from having inventory on hand, they could turn the BTC payment around immediately and pay .8 BTC for 1.2 BTC worth of goods.  I, personally, think people are currently making some bad investments that could turn profitable if bought for actual values.  I'll use SkepsiDyne (SIP) as an example.  They bought $8000 worth of hardware.  For that they burned about 1,000 BTC.  Obviously those shareholders have potential BTC rolling in, but the value of the company is now closer to 500 BTC, and dropping because the revenue still isn't rolling in like it should.  I would look to buy into that company around the time the shareholders realize the value they have and look to sell a share for .4 BTC than the .75 BTC they originally paid.  And that is assuming I trusted the operator of that company.  So, the key to beating BTC growth in a company is keeping the investments in BTC, or making the turn-around in USD as quick as possible.

Atlas:
I haven't provided any documentation, nor an official charter though I will if the interest exists.  As for the ability to invest, I ran a small investment club of 5 guys for 3 years.  We annualized about 47% growth (yeah, we got lucky).  Around the same time, 1 guy lost his job and 2 more relocated away, so we decided to dissolve the club.  I've been pulling about 15-20% the last few years from my own investments, despite the "down economy".  I'm not counting 401K as I don't directly invest that, but use my employers funds.  Of course, past performance is no guarantee of future performance, blah, blah, blah.
enthusiast

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 08:01:07 PM

I would invest.  Hopefully I'll have 5 BTC by the time you IPO!
Braden

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 11:30:49 PM

I would invest
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: