Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:44:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICs any proof they are coming for ANY of the companies?  (Read 9134 times)
awesomey (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 11:29:19 AM

Everybody keeps screaming about the ASICs but to me every single company w/ an "ASIC" coming out doesn't look reputable at all (businesses w/ just PO boxes and unanswered phones, not being registered with the state(s) business dept., etc. etc). I mean is there any actual proof that they are on their way? And if so, why are they all operating so shadily!?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Zeek_W

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 11:50:56 AM

Umm, I'm pretty sure cablepair and BFL are registered businesses

awesomey (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 01:03:28 PM

If they are, they aren't in the same state where they use their PO Boxes:

- Butterfly Labs "Address": PO Box 413671 Kansas City, Missouri 64141-3761
    Missouri Business Entities : Result - no Butterfly Labs

-  btcfpga "Address": P.O. Box 246 Hannibal, NY 13074
    New York Business Entities : Result - no BTCFPGA
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 01:08:13 PM

I mean is there any actual proof that they are on their way? And if so, why are they all operating so shadily!?

There is none. Still that doesn't stop the "true believers" from doing their thing.

I hope you are stocked up on popcorn.
Frequency

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

COINDER

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 01:13:33 PM

If they are, they aren't in the same state where they use their PO Boxes:

- Butterfly Labs "Address": PO Box 413671 Kansas City, Missouri 64141-3761
    Missouri Business Entities : Result - no Butterfly Labs

-  btcfpga "Address": P.O. Box 246 Hannibal, NY 13074
    New York Business Entities : Result - no BTCFPGA

Have you ask the companies themself how they registerd maybe BFL has another name Registerd orso?
Shady it is but online they are trusted by the mass..mmm u can ask Inaba he is always posting en answering question in treads around here.  Wink

COINDER
COINDER
squid

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 01:43:02 PM

BFL has shown production boards (though has yet to show that they actually work). They are so far the only company to show a physical product.

Though all three companies, Avalon, btcfpga, and bfl have all had past products in the fpga market so it is reasonable to assume they are not scams (I hope).
squeept

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 01:58:06 PM

At least this guy didn't start out his expression of disbelief by formally stating "I have no idea what I'm talking about, and posses no knowledge on this subject, but I firmly believe that it is impossible for these devices to ever exist."

Those posts are my favorite and I want to die.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
Frequency

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

COINDER

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 03:11:08 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2012, 03:25:47 PM by Frequency

BFL has shown production boards (though has yet to show that they actually work). They are so far the only company to show a physical product.

Though all three companies, Avalon, btcfpga, and bfl have all had past products in the fpga market so it is reasonable to assume they are not scams (I hope).

This doesn,t say anything about new products witch are 1000x harder to produce and they could abuse the trust build up ..but give them the benefit of the doubt for some 6 weeks or so...the boards they show are no proof at all looks just like some more bait.to me  .its up to you if you will bite...i hope they are for real.. Wink

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33835.0;topicseen

COINDER
COINDER
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 10:16:37 PM

Well... I worked INSIDE a number of Chinese companies, so I have a unique perspective of what goes on.
I threw some cash at "BTCFPGA" but ignored the other two, purely because BTCFPGA allowed the use of a credit card.
Any no show would be wire fraud, plus the CC company cover for non-delivery.
The other two have managed to convince me I'd rather not take the risk until they have at-least one device out in the public, basically because they are black hole financing, with ZERO chance to recover funds if something goes wrong.

As for shipping products in the past, it's hardly cutting edge stuff just a bog standard FPGA+ support circuit thrown on a PCB.

HC

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
bobitza

Activity: 560
Merit: 256

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 10:34:10 PM

If the ASICs turn out to be a scam, the scam side here will be all over the forum with "I told you so"s.

I wonder what will they say if the ASICs don't turn out to be a scam? As I don't think anyone from the asic side were 100% sure, so can't say I told you so.

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 10:36:00 PM

If the ASICs turn out to be a scam, the scam side here will be all over the forum with "I told you so"s.

I wonder what will they say if the ASICs don't turn out to be a scam? As I don't think anyone from the asic side were 100% sure, so can't say I told you so.

Bitcoin is like a variation of Schrödinger's Cat. Everything about it is both scam and fully legit at the same time until you open the box.
awesomey (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 11:48:38 PM

Bitcoin is like a variation of Schrödinger's Cat. Everything about it is both scam and fully legit at the same time until you open the box.

I rather like this analysis.
bobitza

Activity: 560
Merit: 256

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 11:55:58 PM

Touche! This quote is signature material ... too bad I'm participating in this contest, lol. I call it dibs though.

This should go well with the signature:

Disclaimer: found it in someone's profile on the portal.butterflylabs.com

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 12:31:04 AM

Touche! This quote is signature material ... too bad I'm participating in this contest, lol. I call it dibs though.

This should go well with the signature:

Disclaimer: found it in someone's profile on the portal.butterflylabs.com

ok well, got it. Atlas lately is absent anyway so I might as well Wink
poon-TANG

Activity: 150

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 12:48:40 AM

Well... I worked INSIDE a number of Chinese companies, so I have a unique perspective of what goes on.
I threw some cash at "BTCFPGA" but ignored the other two, purely because BTCFPGA allowed the use of a credit card.
The other two have managed to convince me I'd rather not take the risk until they have at-least one device out in the public, basically because they are black hole financing, with ZERO chance to recover funds if something goes wrong.

As for shipping products in the past, it's hardly cutting edge stuff just a bog standard FPGA+ support circuit thrown on a PCB.

HC

You can use Paypal for BFL purchases. Hell I read somewhere someone used BillMeLater for a Jalapeno.
jborkl

Activity: 246

Team Heritage Motorsports

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 01:17:38 AM

As long as you do not open the box all is well.

Next thing you know people are going to be screaming asic companies are poisoning cats.

hardcore-fs

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 09:03:30 AM

HC

You can use Paypal for BFL purchases. Hell I read somewhere someone used BillMeLater for a Jalapeno.

PayPal DOES NOT guarantee return of your funds, EVEN if you flag the payment.
(something interesting I found out recently after a run in with a Chinese company selling fake goods).

HC

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 01:31:12 PM

As long as you do not open the box all is well.

Next thing you know people are going to be screaming asic companies are poisoning cats.

The problem is people pay good money for the box, so they care for the well being of the cat.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 01:39:53 PM

um, I bought my BFL SC with Paypal...with my credit card.

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 01:55:34 PM

Where x is do they exist and psi is do you get your money back, solve for both in

and wait for the ponzi-wave function to collapse. It depends on when in scam-space-time you evaluate.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: