Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:06:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New transaction malleability attack wave? Another stresstest?  (Read 41216 times)
amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 01:18:14 PM

If adoption of bitcoin remains constant (as of now) there needs to be a transaction backlog in order for fees to compensate.
Today the bitcoin network spends several hundred thousands dollars daily only for electricity bills.
And there is only 100k transactions daily.
So, to compensate the electricity bills (only them!) every transaction fee should rise to several dollars Smiley

You do not see the difference between the "fee" and "cost".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 01:26:03 PM

Today the bitcoin network spends several hundred thousands dollars daily only for electricity bills.
So, to compensate the electricity bills (only them!) every transaction fee should rise to several dollars Smiley

Fees per block need to rise to 25 BTC to break even with the current subsidy, which is a fee of 0.025 BTC per transaction with 1000 transactions per block. This is $6 / transaction.
amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 01:31:33 PM

Fees per block need to rise to 25 BTC to break even with the current subsidy, which is a fee of 0.025 BTC per transaction with 1000 transactions per block. This is $6 / transaction.
Good. How many bitcoiners send their funds paying $6 fees?
How many transactions will be daily if the minimum tx fee is $6? (Let us assume this number is X, I think X is much less than 100k)
What would the minimum fee if the daily tx number is X?
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 01:36:25 PM

How many transactions will be daily if the minimum tx fee is $6? (Let us assume this number is X, I think X is much less than 100k)

I don't know the answer to your question, and I'm too dumb to be able to quote post signatures, but I think your post signature indicates you have found a way to profit from your stress test.

Like a true capitalist, you make money on both sides of the trade.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 01:41:48 PM

Clearly, the number of transactions per block must rise higher than 1000 in order for this to be viable with bitcoin at its current price.
amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 01:50:16 PM

Like a true capitalist, you make money on both sides of the trade.
Not yet. But I promise to tell you if I do it in future.
PS. I've removed forum signature. It was only a joke.

Clearly, the number of transactions per block must rise higher than 1000 in order for this to be viable with bitcoin at its current price.
This is not enough. Users should pay $6 per every tx. Only to remain current price  Grin
monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 02:06:36 PM

This is not enough. Users should pay $6 per every tx. Only to remain current price  Grin

At 1000 / block, yes. More transactions per block mean lower fees for users.
BitNow
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2015, 03:53:28 PM

I have the same problem.

Transaction: Kraken -> Localbitcoins

Those are the 2 transactions generated:
CONFIRMED: https://blockchain.info/tx/7bfc03459c267dee5ad4a407642bf819b09bb0e6f290537bee1ffb99758d9187
UNCONFIRMED (double spend): https://blockchain.info/tx/2de9e19a9b6945912c763eb18294447d24201f30e2b0ca57231b851d2389c1eb

As soon as Blockchain is concerned the unconfirmed transaction should disappear from the network in the long run and the confirmed one is valid.

Can anybody confirm that?

I've also opened a ticket with Kraken and Localbitcoins for being sure of that: I won't spend those bitcoins unless the unconfirmed transaction will disappear.

Best Regards.

▐█████▄
            ▐█████████        ▄▄▄
            ▐████  ▐█████   ▀▀▀  █▌
            ▐███  ▐███████      ▐█▌
            ▐██▌   ▀█████▀     ▐█▀
       ▂▄▄▐██▌     ▀▀▀      ▐█▌
    ▐██████████████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄█▌
  ▐███       ▐███▀▀█████▄▄▄ ▐██
   ▐█▌        ▐███    ▀▀▀███████▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀        ▐███        ▐██▀█████▄▄
                ▐███      ▐██▌    ▀▀███▄▄
                 ▐███    ▐██▌  ▄▄▄▄▄  ███▄
         ▄████▄   ▐██▌  ▐███  ▐███████████
       ▐████████▌  ▐██▌▐██▌   ▐████████▀▀
        ▀██████▀    ▐████▀     ▀████▀
         ▐███▀     ▄█▐███
        ▐███▀   ▄████▌▀███
        ▐██████████▀    ▐█▌    █
         ▀████▀▀         ▐█▌  ██
                           ▀▀▀▀

▶  TELEGRAM
▶  BITCOINTALK
mikeymillie

Activity: 370
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 05:59:59 PM

So you are saying Bitcoin has a P/E ratio of ~10,000:1  or so?

Quite high even for tech but not outside the limits of imagination for an asset that could be, in the eyes of it's supporters, the foundation for a new universal value regime.   

Of course those who use language like that are quite often using it to refer to religious beliefs.  Zealotry has frequently paid much, much higher prices for its idealism.

Suppose the price per Tx rises by a factor of 10, and the price of BTC drops by 75% to come into line with the approximate cost of overpowering or capturing the network's security.  P/E of ~250 would not raise many eyebrows on Wall St. 
turtlehurricane

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:31:27 PM

I wouldn't call this an attack, it's completely benign on its own. However external software that doesn't properly account for this could result in money being lost, but can't blame Bitcoin itself for that.

Very easy to write a little code and cause blockchain-wide impacts, the dust giveaway is a good example. Hopefully Amaclin doesn't find a real exploit, so far Bitcoin has been impervious, but there must be a true weakness somewhere. If he or anyone else figures out a real weakness then that weakness can be exploited worldwide instantly.
mallard

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:32:44 PM

At 1000 / block, yes. More transactions per block mean lower fees for users.

Yes but bigger blocks could mean that it's more expensive for miners to process the blocks.
Cost vs Fees again.
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:07:59 PM

Your December, 2014 "BTC price to King's pawn and $10 value by March 2015" gambit cost you several thousand Grand Master points.  Have you been reading more chess books since then?
Smiley
OK, bitcoin network is little bit stronger than i thought a year ago Smiley
But the physics remain the same.

You want your name on www.bitcoinobituaries.com. Admit it!

tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:12:23 PM

Annoying...

This attack is very good at exposing bad software.

Yes it is.

Bitcoin core.  Protocol incompetently designed so it has malleability bug. Protocol and software incompetently maintained because bug has yet to be fixed after several years.  Protocol developers incompetent in foreseeing and avoiding problems their incompetent code and designs have created.  Leaders unable to lead, paralyzed by fear.

achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2015, 07:21:17 PM

Annoying...

Yes it is.

Bitcoin core.  Protocol incompetently designed so it has malleability bug. Protocol and software incompetently maintained because bug has yet to be fixed after several years.  Protocol developers incompetent in foreseeing and avoiding problems their incompetent code and designs have created.  Leaders unable to lead, paralyzed by fear.
The problem is not the protocol developers (core devs) but the rather with the other wallet developers who support and use High S values. If they are so incompetent, why don't you help and write code and implementations? Please read the thread before posting FUD like this.

Zombier0

Activity: 435

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:31:04 PM

Attack is back

RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:50:24 PM

Of course Bitcoin has higher costs, they are a trade-off for its decentralized redundancy.
On the other hand, Bitcoin provides (or strives to) some features unavailable in traditional systems: permissionless and trustlessness of payments, anonymity. The question is whether anyone is willing to pay for these costs to get these features.
tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:57:36 PM

Annoying...

Yes it is.

The problem is not the protocol developers (core devs) but the rather with the other wallet developers who support and use High S values. If they are so incompetent, why don't you help and write code and implementations? Please read the thread before posting FUD like this.

If this were FUD, the network wouldn't be having problems.  The solution to this problem isn't writing software, the problem is not fundamentally a software problem.  It is a distributed systems problem and a human problem.  It requires leadership. The code is the easy part.

If there were a clear protocol specification there would be a simple way to declare the other wallet developers out of bounds.  Even without a protocol specification, bitcoin core could be changed so that bitcoin core nodes would not relay ill formed transactions, nor accept and propagate blocks that contain ill formed transactions.

There has been ample time to phase in a solution to the problem.  Some old clients would cease to work.  That would be good, not bad.  People with funds in an obsolete wallet could always export their private keys and sweep them into proper new software.  (This part of the argument is the "leadership" problem.)

One consequence of some of these software implementations being obsoleted would be a demand for a firm protocol specification that could be discussed and debated independently from any code base. With a specification there could be the beginning of work on protocol verification and proofs of correctness.  Accomplishing this would require creating some kind of governance structure, such as is used to manage the IETF.  Adults would step into positions of leadership to replace children...

monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 08:08:16 PM

Yes but bigger blocks could mean that it's more expensive for miners to process the blocks.

Sure the extra validation/processing cost pales into insignificance compared to the cost of finding the POW?
Enema

Activity: 445

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 12:06:30 AM

If adoption of bitcoin remains constant (as of now) there needs to be a transaction backlog in order for fees to compensate.

That's why POS coins like Peercoin have a bright future.

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2015, 07:38:25 AM
Last edit: October 08, 2015, 08:18:54 AM by gmaxwell

declare the other wallet developers out of bounds
I declare all software that doesn't transfer all your coins to me out of bounds! I declare all software that doesn't assign me a trillion bitcoins out of bounds! Hurrah! This is fun.

... Come on.  Going and dictating to people what software they could run would not be well aligned with the principals that make Bitcoin (or the internet) interesting in the first place..., particular because taking that approach to it's logical conclusion we'd rapidly reach a state where Bitcoin Core was the only or nearly only software people could use with the network (as it has an order of magnitude more development effort going into it).

such as is used to manage the IETF
I have considerable experience in the IETF, and I have to say your comment drew a bit of a chuckle from me... The IETF has no authority to control what software or behavior other parties have. You're drawing exactly the wrong comparison there.

In Bitcoin Core we discovered, designed solutions, implemented them, adjusted the behavior of our own software, specified the needed behavior, and recommended these changes to others. We've even gone out and reviewed, audited, advised, and contributed patches to other implementations. I'd say we'd done everything short of written invitations, but if you count emails-- I've sent many an invitation (many of which have been warmly received and resulted in improvements in wallet implementations).

And basically all of this was done by people who weren't being paid a cent for it, by you or anyone else-- I might add. And when there was a simple, not very technical, part of the effort that I thought wider help would be important for, I plead for it here-- to seemingly no effect. Apparently its not as big a deal as some are making it out to be.

... so in the meantime, while all of that was going on ... precisely what have you done except insult the few people who've done anything productive at all about this subject?

Even without a protocol specification, bitcoin core could be changed so that bitcoin core nodes would not relay ill formed transactions, nor accept and propagate blocks that contain ill formed transactions.
Kind of you to confirm that you're responding in this thread without having read it (or my response to you in the other thread on the same subject.)

Protocol incompetently designed so it has malleability bug. Protocol and software incompetently maintained because bug has yet to be fixed after several years.
Specific forms of malleability are useful and intentional design features of the protocol. Additional forms allowing unintended malleability arose primarily out of undocumented behavior in underlying cryptographic libraries which have also resulted in CVEed vulnerabilities in unrelated applications-- indeed those later kind were a design error-- but most of them (save the one whos fix was inhibited by wallet behavior were largely closed off ages ago). Meanwhile, in spite of these issues having been well understood for years virtually every altcoin is also vulnerable to them including many 'from scratch ones' and ones created years after the issues were known in Bitcoin and fixed in Bitcoin Core (and even, in at least one case-- one that specifically promotes itself as being 'immune').  While it is unfortunate the the system was created with merely superhuman foresight and not perfect foresight, if you're looking to complain about _incompetent_ you need to go look to those other places, not Bitcoin Core which immediately implemented solutions for every known unintended malleability vector once they were first highlighted as an issue and discovered several new ones along the way.

the network wouldn't be having problems
The network itself is working fine and is completely uninterrupted by this stuff, whats impacted are some wallets in some applications. See also http://fc15.ifca.ai/preproceedings/bitcoin/paper_9.pdf
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: