Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:40:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Peeple: The App From Hell?  (Read 2718 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 05:52:57 PM

Peeple’s app isn’t out yet and it’s already hated (for good reason)

Launching in November, the Peeple app will let you rate everyone you know. Yeah, everyone.

Following an article by the Washington Post, revealing the real-life burn book, it has rapidly become one of the most hated apps on the internet (this week).

Founded by Julia Cordray and Nicole McCullough, the pair launched an online documentary series on August 9, following their hopeful 90 day journey of getting funding in Silicon Valley and bringing their “dream” to fruition. However, with some videos having less than 100 views, it wasn’t until the Washington Post interview was published that anyone really started to care what the pair were up to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-PmOPwP4tY

Although the app itself follows the formula of thousands of social apps – rating everything from your dinner to your bowel movements – it poses a very scary vision; Imagine everything you ever did was suddenly open to be reviewed online, without your knowledge. I mean, did McCullough and Cordray learn nothing from the tragedies of apps like ask.FM and Secret?

Whether their intentions are good or not, it really doesn’t feel well thought out. The pair have essentially created defamation-as-a-service.

And people are naturally worried. Unlike Cordray and McCullough who presumably are happy with the app’s open door policy and have nothing to hide, other people don’t feel the need to seek public approval for their life choices or behaviour.

As a self-described “trendy lady”, Cordray told the Washington Post that the app is about showcasing your character online. This is slightly different to what McCullough said – that as a mother of two, she wanted to be able research and decide who to trust with her kids.

Both are legitimate things to want to do, but we can showcase our characters on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram perfectly fine and still maintain a level of control over what can and can’t be seen. And when it comes to professionally researching people – LinkedIn and Google are perfectly sufficient tools, which can also be used in conjunction with other referencing tools and social media profiles to get a rounded image of a person.

When you drill into the app’s terms and conditions, it just gets worse. In the FAQ section, it states that you cannot remove yourself from the Peeple database, but the company “may consider this feature in the future.”

The site is quick to address concerns of negative reviews stating that they don’t go live immediately and won’t be seen publicly, only to people who sign up for the app. I struggle to see how that’s comforting. That means there is nothing stopping anyone from going on and bad mouthing someone else and the person could remain completely oblivious. Isn’t that like the definition of what bullying is?

And for an app that values public discussion and opinion, its founders appear to be backtracking on that idea, as an image circulating shows Cordray allegedly asking how to shut down comments on the app’s Facebook page.

http://thenextweb.com/opinion/2015/10/01/peeples-app-isnt-out-yet-and-its-already-hated-for-good-reason/

-------------------------------------------------
Peeple is 4chan's wet dream...

MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 06:04:27 PM

Wow. I'm just at a loss for more on this subject right now...
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 06:09:16 PM

Read the full article and the push back from the ladies... Stunning. I can't do much about people saying stuff about me online... But to have someone, anyone, knowing your phone number and build a profile of you, profile you cannot delete, is beyond absurd... People will think twice before giving away business cards to total strangers...

MakingMoneyHoney

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 06:18:17 PM

Read the full article and the push back from the ladies... Stunning. I can't do much about people saying stuff about me online... But to have someone, anyone, knowing your phone number and build a profile of you, profile you cannot delete, is beyond absurd... People will think twice before giving away business cards to total strangers...

Attaching it to a phone number is silly beyond words too. I still get messages from people who are texting the wrong person because they wrote the wrong number in, so profiles could be set up on the wrong number. It looks like they will text the number saying a profile was set up, but nothing beyond that. I don't know why they don't require a code from the text to the phone for it to go live.

The whole thing looks like it's perfect for teenagers, perfect in that all the kids at school will be using it, and pushing the separation of teens to the limits, pushing them into cliques, and leading to increasing suicide rates from bullying.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 06:21:58 PM

Attaching it to a phone number is silly beyond words too. I still get messages from people who are texting the wrong person because they wrote the wrong number in, so profiles could be set up on the wrong number. It looks like they will text the number saying a profile was set up, but nothing beyond that. I don't know why they don't require a code from the text to the phone for it to go live.

The whole thing looks like it's perfect for teenagers, perfect in that all the kids at school will be using it, and pushing the separation of teens to the limits, pushing them into cliques, and leading to increasing suicide rates from bullying.

... Or worse. Going "postal"...

Trifixion713

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 06:23:03 PM

You know, I can see this thing taking-off big-time...Again, with the direction we are headed, I don't want to imagine what this country - or world, for that matter - will look like in another 5 or 10 years.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 06:24:16 PM

You know, I can see this thing taking-off big-time...Again, with the direction we are headed, I don't want to imagine what this country - or world, for that matter - will look like in another 5 or 10 years.

I have no doubts this app will be very very popular.

Lenore

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:11:15 PM

I can see this app pissing off a load of people.

ridery99

Activity: 616

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:47:20 PM

I will give five stars to robert duskes  Smiley
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 10:59:55 PM

I will give five stars to robert duskes  Smiley

As long as you have his cell phone number...

SerenaL

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 01:14:54 AM

Wouldn't you be safe as long as you just don't install the application?
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 06:06:31 AM

I don't think that part would matter.  If they really wanted to piss everyone off and gain more traction (I think this is what they actually would want to do) I think if you aren't in the system already they would just make a new review and put your name on it which then they will make you apart of the system; whether you want to be on there or not.  This way, if/when you find out you are on there, it will make you want to get the app and dispute the bad claim or possibly just see what the person said.

But yeah, this is going to be bad... I can feel it.

MakingMoneyHoney

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 02:21:46 PM

I don't think that part would matter.  If they really wanted to piss everyone off and gain more traction (I think this is what they actually would want to do) I think if you aren't in the system already they would just make a new review and put your name on it which then they will make you apart of the system; whether you want to be on there or not.  This way, if/when you find out you are on there, it will make you want to get the app and dispute the bad claim or possibly just see what the person said.

Exactly. I cannot see anyone having made this app having good intentions. They seem to have "sold their soul" to get money. Make an app that teens, and tweens need to use because of peer pressure and the usual amount of "popular" people who will want to rate their friends to be on top, and then rag on the others, leading to the others to commit suicide or fall into depression.

This shouldn't be allowed. I'm against banning things, I believe in no censorship, except when it hurts someone. A profile for a person should not be able to be created without their consent. Period.

But that's obviously the point of this app from hell.
Lenore

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 02:31:16 PM

Exactly. I cannot see anyone having made this app having good intentions. They seem to have "sold their soul" to get money. Make an app that teens, and tweens need to use because of peer pressure and the usual amount of "popular" people who will want to rate their friends to be on top, and then rag on the others, leading to the others to commit suicide or fall into depression.

This shouldn't be allowed. I'm against banning things, I believe in no censorship, except when it hurts someone. A profile for a person should not be able to be created without their consent. Period.

Wonder how this app will go over with all the anti bully groups?  I am sure there will be some suicides over it.  Somewhere sometime anyways.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 03:21:33 PM

Yes. Facebook is good enough if you want to participate in it. How would the system know all those 5 stars reviews are saying how of a bad, evil human you are. It would not. They say a bad review won't be posted. Then people will post only 5 stars reviews, with bad comments in it. For adults it is pretty bad. For teens, female teens, it will be hell.

MakingMoneyHoney

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 03:41:57 PM

I don't think that part would matter.  If they really wanted to piss everyone off and gain more traction (I think this is what they actually would want to do) I think if you aren't in the system already they would just make a new review and put your name on it which then they will make you apart of the system; whether you want to be on there or not.  This way, if/when you find out you are on there, it will make you want to get the app and dispute the bad claim or possibly just see what the person said.

Yes. Facebook is good enough if you want to participate in it. How would the system know all those 5 stars reviews are saying how of a bad, evil human you are. It would not. They say a bad review won't be posted. Then people will post only 5 stars reviews, with bad comments in it. For adults it is pretty bad. For teens, female teens, it will be hell.

Yeah, I saw that. Everyone will just post 5 stars to get the crap posted. I think I heard or read here (I forget) that the company has one whole YEAR to deal with complaints too. As if that would help any of the tweens/teens. A week in HS can feel like a year in hell depending on what's going on with the school population.
Lenore

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 01:48:48 PM

I don't think that part would matter.  If they really wanted to piss everyone off and gain more traction (I think this is what they actually would want to do) I think if you aren't in the system already they would just make a new review and put your name on it which then they will make you apart of the system; whether you want to be on there or not.  This way, if/when you find out you are on there, it will make you want to get the app and dispute the bad claim or possibly just see what the person said.

Yeah, I saw that. Everyone will just post 5 stars to get the crap posted. I think I heard or read here (I forget) that the company has one whole YEAR to deal with complaints too. As if that would help any of the tweens/teens. A week in HS can feel like a year in hell depending on what's going on with the school population.

They also said that any review (negitive) 2 stars or less have to be reviewed by the poster and the reviewee.  They have 24 hours to battle it out and then it gets posted if they cant settle. 

Like I said in a previous post.  I think this app might be a bad idea and I can see teen suicide rate increasing over this.

MakingMoneyHoney

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 01:50:33 PM

They also said that any review (negitive) 2 stars or less have to be reviewed by the poster and the reviewee.  They have 24 hours to battle it out and then it gets posted if they cant settle. 

Like I said in a previous post.  I think this app might be a bad idea and I can see teen suicide rate increasing over this.

The users will just give everyone 5 stars and write horrible things in the comments, and it will slide by without getting reviewed.

I don't just think this is a bad idea. I know it is.
nicked

Activity: 175

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 06:47:53 PM

Here is a link to a petition to ask Apple and Google to ban this app if you are so inclined.

https://www.change.org/p/apple-google-inc-ban-the-launch-of-the-peeple-application?recruiter=397155392&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink
saddampbuh
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 06:55:17 PM

good thing i havent got a phone

Be radical, have principles, be absolute, be that which the bourgeoisie calls an extremist: give yourself without counting or calculating, don't accept what they call ‘the reality of life' and act in such a way that you won't be accepted by that kind of ‘life', never abandon the principle of struggle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: