Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 01:03:16 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Peeple: The App From Hell?  (Read 2723 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2015, 07:33:20 PM

I don't even know what to say anymore. It seems like most of the society is becoming addicted to likes, tweets and other nonsense from social networking. Here's the quote from my profile and it is very fitting:
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.
This app is going to lead to nothing but problems. I don't see any possible good that could come out of this. It's quite unfortunate that people are obsessed with these things. I just do not understand how such minds operate? There were times that I felt like an 'alien' since everyone around me cared about 'similar nonsense'. Luckily, I moved away from where I used to live and tied 99% of the ties.

The users will just give everyone 5 stars and write horrible things in the comments, and it will slide by without getting reviewed.
I don't just think this is a bad idea. I know it is.
I concur.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
busyviable

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 01:28:03 AM

God damn, I hope this never comes out!
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2015, 05:41:33 AM

People get so torn up when the stuff they do on the internet, behind the safety of a computer screen, is suddenly in the public spotlight. If the internet is public, why shouldn't people be subject to the consequences of the public viewing of their pictures or statements?

This app could have a very good effect,

1. It could result in a cleansing of the crap that people post on the internet.

2. It could result in people being NICER to each other on the internet, for fear that if they're an asshole they'll be called out for it.

There's a consequence to everything, at a minimum this app helps people understand that point. And at a minimum I think that's a good thing.

Harry Hood

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 05:44:22 AM

If people don't like what they app does they should decide not to use it.

There's nothing stopping the public from putting a profile about the app's developer or CEO on their app to leave all of the constructive feedback for...

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2015, 06:37:53 AM

People get so torn up when the stuff they do on the internet, behind the safety of a computer screen, is suddenly in the public spotlight. If the internet is public, why shouldn't people be subject to the consequences of the public viewing of their pictures or statements?

There's a consequence to everything, at a minimum this app helps people understand that point. And at a minimum I think that's a good thing.
So tell me what happens to teenage girls or boys that are depressed or something when someone starts a witch hunt against them? I'm pretty sure that as with every network there will be fake profiles and they enable one to be flamed by many users. This app is just calling for trouble.

The problem is that someone else can create your profile.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3099

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2015, 08:04:15 AM

Thank you - I signed.

This is will eventually (sooner rather than later) lead to suicides, especially among the vulnerable youth.

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 01:59:16 PM

So tell me what happens to teenage girls or boys that are depressed or something when someone starts a witch hunt against them? I'm pretty sure that as with every network there will be fake profiles and they enable one to be flamed by many users. This app is just calling for trouble.

The problem is that someone else can create your profile.

Some people don't understand what would happen in schools, no matter how much someone would choose to ignore a horrible profile for themselves that they did not create, people in school will bring it up, constantly. They will be teased about it, nonstop. Someone could say this one girl was a "Slut" name of names of people she's supposedly slept with, and it would follow her around. It doesn't matter if it's true or not, teens will believe anything, or if you say the lie through enough people, enough times, people will believe it.

“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” - Adolf Hitler

The worst people in school know this. That's why there are always rumors in high school. This is just amplifying their voice 100 times.

This app will lead to deaths. I signed the petition yesterday too. It's almost to the goal and was only created a few days ago. The problem is, even if the petition is seen, will it matter? Or will Apple and Google ignore it because they'll make lots of money.

Because if someone hates their profile, you know what they may end up doing? Getting sucked into it, themselves, and focus on trying to clean it up. Whatever ads there are or price of the app will be paid more by people annoyed or distraught trying to "fix" things than the ones just having fun with people's lives. Yes it can be a money maker, but it's blood money.

I think the maker of the app knows what she's doing and will literally burn in hell for this.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 06:21:44 PM

1. It could result in a cleansing of the crap that people post on the internet.

2. It could result in people being NICER to each other on the internet, for fear that if they're an asshole they'll be called out for it.

I agree with you: this apps has only minimums, zero maximums...

Cool

MakingMoneyHoney

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 12:24:49 AM

They only need 77 75 more people to sign. I think that's the fastest I've seen a petition fill up in my life. Smiley
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 01:02:32 AM

They only need 77 75 more people to sign. I think that's the fastest I've seen a petition fill up in my life. Smiley

Just signed... only 60 more to go "peeple"!! Wink

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 08:45:09 PM

The problem isn't gathering people to sign it. I'm pretty sure if we all shared it around within our social networks (whoever has one) that a higher number could be reached. The question is will Google and Apple listen?

The problem is, even if the petition is seen, will it matter? Or will Apple and Google ignore it because they'll make lots of money.
What is the success rate of such polls?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 08:48:26 PM

The problem isn't gathering people to sign it. I'm pretty sure if we all shared it around within our social networks (whoever has one) that a higher number could be reached. The question is will Google and Apple listen?

The problem is, even if the petition is seen, will it matter? Or will Apple and Google ignore it because they'll make lots of money.

If Hell is unleashed no matter what then... This was in purpose.

MakingMoneyHoney

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 09:22:24 PM

Yeah, we can only wait and see. I have no idea the success of petitions and I'm sure they have varied results.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 09:34:25 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/peeple-no-longer-online-2015-10?utm_source=change_org&utm_medium=petition

------------------------------------------
Mark my word. That monster will try to come back with another face...

MakingMoneyHoney

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 09:45:05 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/peeple-no-longer-online-2015-10?utm_source=change_org&utm_medium=petition

------------------------------------------
Mark my word. That monster will try to come back with another face...

The website is there, they had too many e's according to the comments: http://forthepeeple.com/
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 09:51:07 PM

You know there's a great way to avoid all that kind of bullshit, don't take part, people just don't seem to get that, I have a very specific criteria I follow now whenever taking part in conversations with the public online.

. There must always be an ignore function so I can block people who spam me or try to harass me through PM's

. Mods/Staff must either be extremely relaxed or none existent and allow for all forms of free speech and debate

. Privacy above all else must be respected and protected

. I shouldn't have to enter in real information about myself or potentially sensitive information in order to take part ( falls in line with privacy but there are many sites that claim to privacy and then ask you private information in order to join )

I agree that apps like this are particularly bad but I don't think that it's even about what they claim, it just seems to me like a massive and convenient way for companies to do data farming on every aspect of our lives. Be it intelligence agencies or marketing companies and everybody feeds them every single piece of information they have without a second thought.

What I find more amazing is that it's taken a stupid app like this to finally make people wake up and realise the con social networks are.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 09:53:18 PM

You know there's a great way to avoid all that kind of bullshit, don't take part, people just don't seem to get that, I have a very specific criteria I follow now whenever taking part in conversations with the public online.

. There must always be an ignore function so I can block people who spam me or try to harass me through PM's

. Mods/Staff must either be extremely relaxed or none existent and allow for all forms of free speech and debate

. Privacy above all else must be respected and protected

. I shouldn't have to enter in real information about myself or potentially sensitive information in order to take part ( falls in line with privacy but there are many sites that claim to privacy and then ask you private information in order to join )

I agree that apps like this are particularly bad but I don't think that it's even about what they claim, it just seems to me like a massive and convenient way for companies to do data farming on every aspect of our lives. Be it intelligence agencies or marketing companies and everybody feeds them every single piece of information they have without a second thought.

What I find more amazing is that it's taken a stupid app like this to finally make people wake up and realise the con social networks are.

You won't have a choice with peeple.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2015, 06:43:03 AM

You know there's a great way to avoid all that kind of bullshit, don't take part, people just don't seem to get that,
It's not really up to you as someone else can create your profile. Someone has already explained this in the thread. There won't be that much impact on the grown ups. However, the youth (already vulnerable) will be damaged. It's going to be very hard to "ignore" it when everyone is talking about it (read the other post).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2015, 06:50:08 AM

I suppose you're right, but the thing is this isn't anything new, I realise this app is making it easier but people can still blatantly Doxx somebody on the internet and it's regularly done regardless of what the other persons says or even what the law says.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 06:51:51 AM

I laughed a bit
All the death threats the app creator decides to launch it a month earlier to spite them or I guess rate them but they backed down.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/06/peeple-ratings-app-removes-contentious-features-boring

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: