Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 09:02:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitPoppy: Idea I just had - looking for ideas, feedback  (Read 696 times)
jpent (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 03:10:46 PM

Hi guys!

I just had an idea for a simple but possibly powerful use of blockchain-based assets.

Every year in the UK and other commonwealth countries there is a remembrance day in memory of the troops who died in WW1/WW2 and other wars. The symbol for this is a poppy. Small paper poppies are sold during this time and the proceeds go to a foundation which is seen as a good cause (I won't discuss this here). People then wear the poppies during this time to show their support.

I noticed also that people quite often buy T-Shirts or other merchandise simply to show their support for a particular cause, and also to support artists and musicians.

My idea is simple: have a system whereby a user can "buy" a small coloured coin (or perhaps Ethereum asset) and have an API to have an icon displayed next to the users name across whichever websites implement the API. When registering to the site the user can simply sign a transaction with their public key to validate that they own a particular address, and from that point all tokens owned by that address can be shown next to the users name or in their profile.

This would allow users to show that they have donated to particular causes online and have the effects visible across multiple websites. For more commercial uses, users who have bought a certain token could also receive special offers or access to special information or forum areas.

I'm not sure if anyone has tried to do something like this before? If not I'd certainly like to give it a go myself. Does anyone have any feedback or ideas for implementation or perhaps criticisms? What would be the best way to go about this? Ethereum, counterparty, coinprism?

popovicbit

Activity: 144
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 10:26:52 PM

For more commercial uses, users who have bought a certain token could also receive special offers or access to special information or forum areas.

I would expect a company to offer a token (could be viewed as a receipt/coupon) that can be redeemed for special offers if a user shares their token stating "I just bought a ____". I don't see why I would have to pay for a token and then given access.

I like the idea about paying for a token for charitable cause or die hard fans of pop stars or sports organizations....I also had an "I voted" sticker in my head while reading your comment.
jpent (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 07:01:54 AM

I like the idea about paying for a token for charitable cause or die hard fans of pop stars or sports organizations....I also had an "I voted" sticker in my head while reading your comment.

Yeah this was like my point. I guess the poppy analogy isnt the best one. It's like collegting badges or flair.

I'm trying to think of a way this can be done technologically but I don't know if there is a way that a random user of a site could see the badges without having a wallet installed on their local machine that checks the blockchain.
rz20
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 09:19:40 AM

I think it is a little bit easier simply paying for the t short instead of having to use some kind of alt coin (ethereum) or colores coins. Appart from than how are you going to calculate the value if ethereum goes down in value because you have to exchange that bacl to usd.
jpent (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 12:40:16 PM

The point is that its meant to be a cross-website way of displaying symbols next to your name or on your avatar showing your support for a cause. If its done in ethereum then the donations can also be made with custom currencies tied to the dollar, euro, gold, oil, btc or anything else really. Buying a tshirt is great but you don't see it online.

I guess as a proof of concept this can depend on running a local client and using directly the blockchain currency whether its ether or btc or whatever but the real power of this would be if the symbols could be made visible on existing social networks - but this will probably be a lot harder.
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 12:48:00 PM

Nice idea. so BitPoppy is in form of forum? afaik system like when user buy/have a token, he/she can access to special section on forum, this has been implement by let'stalkbitcoin forum.

Use counterparty is too much fees just for transfer some amount.

How you calculate the assets and give it to charity?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: