Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 03:16:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitstamp vs Coinbase  (Read 6150 times)
rscholey (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 12:12:59 PM

Can anyone comment on the differences between these two exchanges? 

I'd like to get some ideas from people who have used them recently.  For example which one is the bigger of the two, do they both have the same charges and does one have any advantage over the other?
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3486
Merit: 6150

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 12:24:51 PM

I'd like to get some ideas from people who have used them recently.  For example which one is the bigger of the two, do they both have the same charges and does one have any advantage over the other?

Here is few links you should check and I'am pretty sure you will end up by making a decision :

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=836752.0
http://www.bitcoinvalues.net/best-place-to-buy-bitcoins-coinbase-vs-btc-e-vs-bitstamp.html
https://99bitcoins.com/coinbase-vs-btc-e-vs-bitstamp-buy-bitcoins/

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
zzaza
Legendary

Activity: 926
Merit: 1000

Zoltan - PD Moderator

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 01:28:29 PM

Here is few links you should check and I'am pretty sure you will end up by making a decision :

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=836752.0
http://www.bitcoinvalues.net/best-place-to-buy-bitcoins-coinbase-vs-btc-e-vs-bitstamp.html
https://99bitcoins.com/coinbase-vs-btc-e-vs-bitstamp-buy-bitcoins/

Without reading these topics i would have suggested coinbase, reading these articles didnt change my decision Smiley

7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 01:30:24 PM

My impression is that Coinbase will be more expensive but more reliable. Bitstamp feel a bit like Mt Gox in the old days...
var53

Activity: 345
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 02:03:26 PM

Bitstamp has much higher volume than Coinbase. If you are trading big amounts of Bitcoin it's easier to get your orders filled fast at Bitstamp. Although Bitstamp requires KYC documents to register it's less intrusive than Coinbase. Coinbase also requires KYC documents to register, but it wants to know where your Bitcoins have come from, and where they are going to. You cannot sell Bitcoins you buy there on Localbitcoins, or vice versa. It sometimes closes people's accounts for sending coins to Localbitcoins.

However, Coinbase is insured as this statement from their website shows.

Coinbase is insured against employee theft and hacking in an amount that exceeds the average value of online bitcoin
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 03:12:34 PM

My impression is that Coinbase will be more expensive but more reliable. Bitstamp feel a bit like Mt Gox in the old days...

no it does not feel like that.

Coinbase will probably a bigger player in the future but Bitstamp is okay, you can trade there too.

Coinbase = US

Bitstamp = UK

both got funding in the past.

tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 04:16:16 PM

Coinbase are good, they have a nice little Android app also.
neonshium

Activity: 1134
Merit: 515

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 05:06:14 PM

Coinbase are good, they have a nice little Android app also.

Yes many people prefer coinbase over bitstamp. After mtgox, bitstamp has more exchange volume. But coinbase has wallet feature whereas bitstamp does not. Exchange wise I prefer coinbase like most of the people vote. Coinbase now serve more than 30 countries.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 10:03:40 PM

Bitstamp is bigger but is slowly losing ground, especially after their last hack. People are losing confidence in them it seems to me. Coinbase had also their accusations that they are working closely with the US government and that they are tracking how and where users spend their bitcoins, but this shouldn't bother you if you have nothing to hide.

Verification process will be about the same with both exchanges. They will both do the job if you just buy your coins and get them out of there.

I would might give a small advantage to Coinbase, it seems healthier than Bitstamp.
bgibso01
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 12:55:12 AM

Bitstamp has much higher volume than Coinbase. If you are trading big amounts of Bitcoin it's easier to get your orders filled fast at Bitstamp. Although Bitstamp requires KYC documents to register it's less intrusive than Coinbase. Coinbase also requires KYC documents to register, but it wants to know where your Bitcoins have come from, and where they are going to. You cannot sell Bitcoins you buy there on Localbitcoins, or vice versa. It sometimes closes people's accounts for sending coins to Localbitcoins.

However, Coinbase is insured as this statement from their website shows.

Coinbase is insured against employee theft and hacking in an amount that exceeds the average value of online bitcoin

Up until last month, I had used Coinbase from it's beginning.  They have made great strides and caused a few irritations with the in-flux rules they would change weekly.  They closed my account without warning after me notating on a few of my transfers that I was sending coins to my BTM wallet.  I don't really fault them for wanting to limit those transactions, but would have preferred a little note not to do it anymore.  Instead, my account was closed and from my email conversations with them, they won't even let me open a personal account with them anymore.  All of that over < 10-15btc over 5 months.

I'm still looking for a good USA exchange I can use to fund my vending machine. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: