Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:20:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This is why people "despise" Bitcoin  (Read 2199 times)
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 03:57:20 PM

I will stop using bitcoin the day i can no longer use a full node.
Never use a website to host your wallet people.

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 09:19:57 PM

Thank you sir for this. I wish everyone thinks the same way as you. I have been preaching and begging people in numerous threads that they stop using online wallets. Yet people stay ignorant as hell and just do it their way.
jacktheking (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 02:33:48 AM

so they despise bitcoin because they want to use it like a normal fiat bank, by connecting with bank and stuff like that, when the primarily usage with bitcoin should be on your full control with your local client

the problem with bitcoin are the people that still treat it, as a old centralized fiat system

Yes. The problem is that others dont understand Bitcoin and just use the like the old fiat system. They need to learn Bitcoin first before they start using Bitcoin like what twister said.

This is not bitcoin's fault but rather the service's end. I don't see why people hate the tech but not the people who is behind their failures or losses.

Everyone know that this is not Bitcoin fault. It is the customer service operator who handled Teg fault. He did not give Teg a clear and valid explanation. As see from here, "I contacted someone from bitcoins support asking for them to cancel the transaction", Teg thought that Bitcoin is an organisation.

So, do you mean the point is we have to introduce a Bitcoin with the better way?

Probably in a simplified way. However, I cannot see anything simpler than "Bitcoin is an innovative payment network and a new kind of money." at Bitcoin.org. It just that people who want to start using Bitcoin read the homepage of Bitcoin.org clearly.

Thank you sir for this. I wish everyone thinks the same way as you. I have been preaching and begging people in numerous threads that they stop using online wallets. Yet people stay ignorant as hell and just do it their way.

I wanted to run my own Bitcoin Core too. The problem is.. my computer is an old computer that left with only ~ 27 GB of diskspace. :/. I have no choice but to use a third-party to store my Bitcoin.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1560

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2015, 08:10:40 AM

I wanted to run my own Bitcoin Core too. The problem is.. my computer is an old computer that left with only ~ 27 GB of diskspace. :/. I have no choice but to use a third-party to store my Bitcoin.

Or you could just use light-weight client (i.e. Multibit), you won't run a node but you do have control over your private keys. It's a nice middle-ground between Bitcoin Core and Online wallets.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1003

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 08:15:47 AM

Same thing happened to me as OP, I got to know about bitcoin from TBN which I regularly visited for some fun botted methods, now that I find you can way more money here by doing virtually nothing, I don't even bother going there.
Seems most people think of bitcoin as a corporation like paypal with only difference being that paypal can be reversed, and bitcoin cannot.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 08:40:18 AM

Or you could just use light-weight client (i.e. Multibit), you won't run a node but you do have control over your private keys. It's a nice middle-ground between Bitcoin Core and Online wallets.

I second this. Electrum, Multibit are great lite weight wallets. There are other options as well if this doesn't suits you! I personally am using Electrum since I don't have a powerful enough machine to run a Core!
jacktheking (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 09:47:11 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. My first wallet was MultiBit and I still have it on computer. I dont use them because I find Mycelium Android wallet is faster and simpler. I am considering to spread my Bitcoin over both of them when I have more Bitcoin. Currently I have less than 0.2 BTC.

Same thing happened to me as OP, I got to know about bitcoin from TBN which I regularly visited for some fun botted methods, now that I find you can way more money here by doing virtually nothing, I don't even bother going there.

Haha. You are right. I think Bitcointalk already "steal" lots of members from another forums to theirs. LoL.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 10:48:18 AM

The two things I see wrong with Bitcoin are...

1. No cash.

2. Because of its nature, Bitcoin plays on the ideas of trust that we have in the way money works. What should be done is that there should be much more advertising about the fact that real trust is involved, even in escrow to some extent.

Fiat is fairly trustworthy in direct transactions. You can trust business because the banks will enforce business to do the right thing in many cases.

Since there is no central bank involved with Bitcoin, there is little method for enforcing trust. Bitcoin tries to overcome this to some extent with escrow transactions. But people are not used to the way Bitcoin handles things. So they jump right in.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 11:27:53 AM

People need more info about how the exchange works.
All of the process works as a financial operation, so lots of bureaucracy is envolved.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 11:32:47 AM

He had a bad experience but, to tell the truth, I don't understand its behavior after. He can open another wallet with another provider and send from the primary wallet to the secondary wallet an insignificant amount. Will see all with his eyes . Everything will be instantly. With no any loss. That's can prove that all its experience it was a problem connected not with the bitcoin but with its management from the others. This try, I think, it will be enough that he understand all about its experience and the reliability of bitcoin.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 06:23:36 PM

Hopefully with Gemini exchange things will get more serious. The user support should be good there. I still think we will never get full mainstream without jobs being paid in BTC being a thing. When you get paid directly in BTC it feels waay better than having to buy it first. When you have to buy BTC you will never spend it, you will just hoard and use it as gold.
edric

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 12:40:37 AM

There are plenty of ways to get Bitcoin immediately whether linking your credit card to an exchange for instant purchase or an ATM or local exchange.  Sure, there are scams and bad customer service, but if someone wants to get into Bitcoin bad enough they will.  Hopefully people see the bigger picture- the fundamental proposition of owning Bitcoin.  If they let some inconvenience stop them they are missing the big picture.   

jacktheking (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 01:07:48 AM

The two things I see wrong with Bitcoin are...

1. No cash.

2. Because of its nature, Bitcoin plays on the ideas of trust that we have in the way money works. What should be done is that there should be much more advertising about the fact that real trust is involved, even in escrow to some extent.

Fiat is fairly trustworthy in direct transactions. You can trust business because the banks will enforce business to do the right thing in many cases.

Since there is no central bank involved with Bitcoin, there is little method for enforcing trust. Bitcoin tries to overcome this to some extent with escrow transactions. But people are not used to the way Bitcoin handles things. So they jump right in.

Smiley

Yeah. So as many others have mentioned, they should spend sometime on Bitcointalk before they buy Bitcoin. In the meantime, they could also use faucet to "learn" how Bitcoin work - what is confirmation, what is mining, what is a block etc.

Well, that's pretty huge misunderstanding.
He/She don't understand bitcoin concept & got bad support from exchange

Bitcoin won't be popular if people can't understand bitcoin concept or got bad experience when they start use bitcoin or they just don't really care about it.

Yes. If she got a good support from the customer service operator, things may not turn out this way.

He had a bad experience but, to tell the truth, I don't understand its behavior after. He can open another wallet with another provider and send from the primary wallet to the secondary wallet an insignificant amount. Will see all with his eyes . Everything will be instantly. With no any loss. That's can prove that all its experience it was a problem connected not with the bitcoin but with its management from the others. This try, I think, it will be enough that he understand all about its experience and the reliability of bitcoin.

A good suggestion. I already told Teg to quickly move her coin from the "exchange" wallet to a new wallet on a trusted party - or even host her own Bitcoin Core. I'm not sure if Teg is going to do this or not.

Hopefully with Gemini exchange things will get more serious. The user support should be good there. I still think we will never get full mainstream without jobs being paid in BTC being a thing. When you get paid directly in BTC it feels waay better than having to buy it first. When you have to buy BTC you will never spend it, you will just hoard and use it as gold.

Well said. I hope that Gemini exchange will look study Teg case and have a better support team.

There are plenty of ways to get Bitcoin immediately whether linking your credit card to an exchange for instant purchase or an ATM or local exchange.  Sure, there are scams and bad customer service, but if someone wants to get into Bitcoin bad enough they will.  Hopefully people see the bigger picture- the fundamental proposition of owning Bitcoin.  If they let some inconvenience stop them they are missing the big picture.   

I understand what you are saying. I hope that Teg will continue to learn and use Bitcoin because it is going to be helpful in the future - when Bitcoin go mainstream.

Hugroll

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 01:42:30 AM

i can emphasize Teg's situation, but its wrong to hate the entire bitcoin currency or idea just because you've had one bad experience with obtaining the coin. there's no reason to hate bitcoin here Embarrassed
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2015, 01:49:34 AM

I think it's kind of unfair that this type of blame is directed towards bitcoin even though it is actually the fault of the exchanger trying to prey on newbies. I think it would help if we have some kind of official list that shows trusted exchangers and with their rating which has been endorsed by the community which are of high quality that can be used as a guide to help newbies instead of they going about and clicking on the next ad that they see. It has to be some kind of official list and not something plucked from local blog.

Anyway, it still goes back to the person to carry out some background check and take all the precautions but that is one of the ways we can help them to ensure things went smooth.

jacktheking (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 04:43:05 AM

i can emphasize Teg's situation, but its wrong to hate the entire bitcoin currency or idea just because you've had one bad experience with obtaining the coin. there's no reason to hate bitcoin here Embarrassed

Well. Teg thought that Bitcoin was a company and not a decentralized service. Teg thought the the customer service operator was from the company of Bitcoin.

I think it's kind of unfair that this type of blame is directed towards bitcoin even though it is actually the fault of the exchanger trying to prey on newbies. I think it would help if we have some kind of official list that shows trusted exchangers and with their rating which has been endorsed by the community which are of high quality that can be used as a guide to help newbies instead of they going about and clicking on the next ad that they see. It has to be some kind of official list and not something plucked from local blog.

Anyway, it still goes back to the person to carry out some background check and take all the precautions but that is one of the ways we can help them to ensure things went smooth.

Bitcoin.org link user to this website which list many exchanges - http://howtobuybitcoins.info/. There are so many exchanges listed and... some of them can be trusted while others cant.
Also, when someone search for Bitcoin on Google.com, the first two results is not Bitcoin.org but exchanges advertisement.

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 06:27:01 AM

Well I just ordered the parts to assemble an i7-5930K based computer for running a dedicated full node at home. I'm curious to see how fast the Haswell-E can chew up the 1MB blocks when downloading the blockchain for the first time.

Not only should you not let other people host your private keys, but you should also not leave the verification and transmission of transactions to others. I too will quit when a high-end computer can no longer run a full node at home.
mallard

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 09:56:48 AM

Which exchange did she actually use?
The only site I see mentioned in the thread is Bitcoin.org
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: