Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:00:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: U3-style pod miner with 8x BM1384 (44-200GH, 15-120W) and takes a standard CPU cooler. What would you pay?
That's a stupid idea. - 12 (8.8%)
1x dead S5 board - 17 (12.4%)
1x Tube or AMV2 board plus $25 - 3 (2.2%)
2x New Rbox, S1 or S2 boards plus $25 - 21 (15.3%)
$50 - 84 (61.3%)
Total Voters: 137

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BM1384 Pod Miner plus trade-in/recycling - an interest and feasibility poll  (Read 27676 times)
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 10:08:27 AM

I am all in for S1 option. Got plenty of old boards sitting around.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 10:10:40 AM

They appear to be talking about the same Lketc miners in the bottom-end 3TH version - this is NOT a bloody USB stick, whoever came up with that concept needs to go back to school and learn some basic math.

The quote was in BTC, not $ - though even the quoted 0.87B per miner seems a little low even as a batch price, it WOULD be nice and competative and would make RoI on these things achievable!

"per chip" does not specify "per miner".

actually it is 'reading comprehension" in that I'm sick and miss read both the BTC (i saw usd) and the  'per chip" where it was 'per chip per miner'

heh....shoot me (please sick as a dog!) Sorry about the confusion. But it is gonna be 'quite the war' of the giants imho.

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
fvineyard

Activity: 135
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 05:13:53 PM

Thanks Jake. That would explain why I do not see the vote option. I guess I need to get more active and stop being a "lurker" Smiley

- Frank
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 05:36:16 PM

They appear to be talking about the same Lketc miners in the bottom-end 3TH version - this is NOT a bloody USB stick, whoever came up with that concept needs to go back to school and learn some basic math.

The quote was in BTC, not $ - though even the quoted 0.87B per miner seems a little low even as a batch price, it WOULD be nice and competative and would make RoI on these things achievable!

"per chip" does not specify "per miner".

actually it is 'reading comprehension" in that I'm sick and miss read both the BTC (i saw usd) and the  'per chip" where it was 'per chip per miner'

heh....shoot me (please sick as a dog!) Sorry about the confusion. But it is gonna be 'quite the war' of the giants imho.

can't wait but not till winter next year Sad .hoping to see real cheap miners then if it doesn't happen, i some how see bitmain getting even more greddy and selling 12 th miner for 3 k and we pay like fools ..  

but isn't that how it is with no one to stop them .  if SP or Avalon or LK had come out with some thing about the time S7 came out , we would see then around 400 or 500 they would more then likely be selling chips , sense on one is out there atm to go against them they can do what ever they want to .

SO quite the war it will be if more start  selling to the public the money is there , just will they at a nice price Smiley .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Meech

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 06:12:18 PM

Many enjoyed the pricing battle between SP and Bitmain.  We just need more product continually being released to benefit.  At least sidehacks work is a nice reprieve from the once a year releases.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 04:08:38 AM

So, who thinks I should put a cap on how many S5 boards a person can trade for pods? What should that cap be? Five? Ten? I know right now only 8 survey respondents have selected the straight trade option, but I'm also told that the market value for dead S5 boards has been increasing since this thread appeared because people are buying in anticipation of the opportunity to trade.

Should I worry about a cap, in order to prevent some folks from being taken advantage of by a few opportunistic individuals? Or should I not care and let the market fend for itself? I don't like being party to someone getting screwed, but at the same time it's not my job to be the dick police.

Also, y'all will be pleased to note that I made absolutely no progress on this or any other project today.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Meech

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 04:33:44 AM

So, who thinks I should put a cap on how many S5 boards a person can trade for pods? What should that cap be? Five? Ten? I know right now only 8 survey respondents have selected the straight trade option, but I'm also told that the market value for dead S5 boards has been increasing since this thread appeared because people are buying in anticipation of the opportunity to trade.

Should I worry about a cap, in order to prevent some folks from being taken advantage of by a few opportunistic individuals? Or should I not care and let the market fend for itself? I don't like being party to someone getting screwed, but at the same time it's not my job to be the dick police.

Also, y'all will be pleased to note that I made absolutely no progress on this or any other project today.

I was under the assumption that you needed as many chips as you can get from trades of an S5.  Given more people seem to be attracted to a product with a higher hashrate. 

It doesn't make sense to trade in a working S5 but a non-working one definitely.  I think the barebone costs of this pod miner will sell like waffles ( I mean pancakes). 

This project specifically was based on the "rinse and reuse" philosophy as I understood it.  So my 2 cents says to continue on and if it looks to be an issue change paths at that time.

Who knows this could go beyond what your estimating in sales and at worst have some extra parts to play with. 
hurricandave
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 04:37:32 AM

maybe dead boards needs to be amended to X# of viable S5 chips = 1 x 8 chip Free Pod ?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 09:54:32 AM

Why cap it?

More sales should eventually drop the cost at least a little, and might help sell "extra" units on a non-trade basis for those of us that don't have "dead" S5s.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 872

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2015, 10:34:15 AM

Yeah, market for the dead boards is getting rough. Like REALLY rough. I haven't been able to get ahold of the amount of boards i told back then (just 1) and everyone down here on my country is stashing them Smiley Guess it will be great for the project, maybe i instead will arrange a group shipment and buy-back of the extra pods.

Kinda nebulous atm on how i will handle it Sad i have at least 4 peeps on my family interested on the pods, plus a lot of people on a miners group talking about these babies.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 12:14:04 PM

Yeah, market for the dead boards is getting rough. Like REALLY rough. I haven't been able to get ahold of the amount of boards i told back then (just 1) and everyone down here on my country is stashing them Smiley Guess it will be great for the project, maybe i instead will arrange a group shipment and buy-back of the extra pods.

Kinda nebulous atm on how i will handle it Sad i have at least 4 peeps on my family interested on the pods, plus a lot of people on a miners group talking about these babies.

What happened between the post below and now?

But yeah, there are more important things than money. I treat money as a resource, something I want because it enables me to do awesome stuff. A lot of people want money just to have money and whatever power or comfort having lots of money could bring. Me, I just want resources - but I don't want to feel like I didn't earn what I have, which is one of the things defining my stance on preorders and investment dollars.

Speaking of resources, i've just got 1 dead board from a friend, there's about 15 more incoming my way, that would net about 16 boards "if" the project goes trough.

As soon as i have them all, and you say "go" i'll send'em.

To go from 16 boards to 1 is quite a few less.  Just curious what happened in only a few days would had been exciting to see that many shipped in for this.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 12:17:35 PM

Assuming each board traded in brings in more chips to the project and would increase the overall amount of Pods I would not cap.  But that depends on the amount of Pods.

If there is a number like 50 pods or something like mentioned once I would really like to see limited a little bit to spread around.  Even offer pre-ordering as I think quite a few of us would be willing to do this and not bug you on timeframe.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 01:00:51 PM

As many people as are popping up with boards, I'll probably look to making more like 200 than 50.

I guess what I was thinking for a cap was limiting the number of free pods that could be gotten for S5 trades; say, past the cap an S5 board would pay for half a pod instead? That does seem kinda crappy though. I think I'll leave it wide open.

Regarding "extra pods" if folks don't buy them all up, that's not really a problem. Heck I'll just mine on them myself.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 872

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2015, 02:22:11 PM

What happened between the post below and now?

To go from 16 boards to 1 is quite a few less.  Just curious what happened in only a few days would had been exciting to see that many shipped in for this.

I think the guy that was selling me those dead boards will send 'em himself, so it is a win anyways. I'll probably be looking to buy more pods for me come the moment then.

toptek
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 02:42:34 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2015, 03:41:52 PM by toptek

So, who thinks I should put a cap on how many S5 boards a person can trade for pods? What should that cap be? Five? Ten? I know right now only 8 survey respondents have selected the straight trade option, but I'm also told that the market value for dead S5 boards has been increasing since this thread appeared because people are buyi

DO a poll ?  . if you need to do it make it 8 to 10  Smiley .  10 is 2 th worth of power ? . there gonna sell like hot cakes

you all ready care enough to want to keep home mining going shouldn't that be enough ?. you won't be a party to someone getting screwed, that's like those fools who kept buying into per orders after they got ripped off 4 or more times, yet they kept doing it then complained, once would have been enough for me and it happen once and only one time to me, so now i just wait and watch but i was smart enough to use the right payment and got my money back etc . but once was enough kind of why i don't like buying direct from bitmain, no way of a refund if they go bad, that's a you never know with them .

You can't stop it . Smiley . it's goona happen with or with out a limit some one is going to try and do it, some fool/unknowing players will get ripped off regardless  Wink .it  just will happen . your miner are that good and can  make a lot of money for those yow hos.

PS how ever you take what i said , it's the truth, it will happen either way , do care, but don't over care, it will worry you more .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Meech

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 04:12:21 PM

As many people as are popping up with boards, I'll probably look to making more like 200 than 50.

I guess what I was thinking for a cap was limiting the number of free pods that could be gotten for S5 trades; say, past the cap an S5 board would pay for half a pod instead? That does seem kinda crappy though. I think I'll leave it wide open.

Regarding "extra pods" if folks don't buy them all up, that's not really a problem. Heck I'll just mine on them myself.
We don't know your financials and trust you to make a decision that profits GekkoScience as well.  There's no shame in profitting since we know it will help future ventures as well. 
There won't be any torches or pitchforks if prices change or trade ins change.  We want to help... some of us can't financially so trade ins help those in that situation.
Mikestang
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 04:38:52 PM

I would say that as long as no one is cornering the market on your pods via trade-ins that you should let the market work itself out.  My only concern would be someone sending in a crap-ton of boards and hoarding all the pods you make, only to try and turn around and resell them to make a buck.  The only people that should profit from this venture are gekko science, I would hate to see someone try and take advantage of this opportunity.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 05:45:05 PM

If someone corners the market by hoarding pods from a bucket of trade-ins, within a few weeks I'll have turned those trade-ins into between two and three times as many pods.

Also, the only people that should profit from this venture are not GekkoScience, but GekkoScience and its customers. If we're the only ones coming out ahead, that means the product is not worth buying.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 05:51:43 PM

If someone corners the market by hoarding pods from a bucket of trade-ins, within a few weeks I'll have turned those trade-ins into between two and three times as many pods.

Also, the only people that should profit from this venture are not GekkoScience, but GekkoScience and its customers. If we're the only ones coming out ahead, that means the product is not worth buying.

A company that cares about its customers investments.... this is part of why I really like your products.  Some companies do not share this mentality to say the least.

I am excited about these Pods though.  I think it will be another fun toy and if you do the same as compac's it was amazing the efficiency you got.  So cant wait to see that.
Meech

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 06:18:12 PM

I think you know the direction, you just needed some feedback.  Push on!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: