Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:39:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: U3-style pod miner with 8x BM1384 (44-200GH, 15-120W) and takes a standard CPU cooler. What would you pay?
That's a stupid idea. - 12 (8.8%)
1x dead S5 board - 17 (12.4%)
1x Tube or AMV2 board plus $25 - 3 (2.2%)
2x New Rbox, S1 or S2 boards plus $25 - 21 (15.3%)
$50 - 84 (61.3%)
Total Voters: 137

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BM1384 Pod Miner plus trade-in/recycling - an interest and feasibility poll  (Read 27676 times)
Burci

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 05:39:57 PM

I have a new S7 running, next to an old S3, which I bought off eBay to understand mining better. An S5 is coming, again off eBay. I'd love to use the S3 and S5 with upgraded Sidehack boards at some point. Look forward to hearing more. I bought the S5 with this project specifically in mind, so have a couple options for upgraded boards.
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 07:26:19 PM

well, my S5 controller has 4 ports, and they seem to sell controller cables:
My S5 has 4 ports, also, two are being used by the machine and 2 are open.  Are the open ones what would control the pod?  Would be an interesting pod if it could run alongside an already running S5, like a piggy back system almost.

An S5 will run with 4 S5 Hash cards connected, so if the BM1384 Pod existed and if it had the same interface it would probably work.

Rich

Maybe this project could transform into a "beef up your S5" type of project.  Like they build a couple "gekko S5 boards" that users could either replace their existing S5 boards with, or if they have the controller with empty spots plug in 2 more boards (add cooling, etc.) and get like a 3TH S5-gekko or something...
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 07:34:25 PM

Nope. That's way outside the scope of this particular project, and this project is also almost entirely defunct. I will not build a full-scale board compatible with the S5 controller, and I will not build anything new with the BM1384. I'll probably go ahead and put together a dozen or so 8-chip BM1384 pods that work with the S5 controller, because it's cool and I might have chips left over after Compacs are done anyways. But that's it.

Anything new I build going forward will have our own controls set. Anything full-scale will probably be chassis-compatible with S1/3/5, but run on USB. Anything small I build going forward might work with a CPU cooler, or more likely I'll rig up a heatsink/fan combo for it since CPU cooler compatibility is sorely limiting, but they'll also be USB-tied using my own controls set (same as what's mentioned in the Community Miner discussion thread).

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 07:36:50 PM

This all sounds very intriguing. I'm interested in buying one as a working art piece at this rate Smiley

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 12:11:37 AM

Nope. That's way outside the scope of this particular project, and this project is also almost entirely defunct. I will not build a full-scale board compatible with the S5 controller, and I will not build anything new with the BM1384. I'll probably go ahead and put together a dozen or so 8-chip BM1384 pods that work with the S5 controller, because it's cool and I might have chips left over after Compacs are done anyways. But that's it.

Anything new I build going forward will have our own controls set. Anything full-scale will probably be chassis-compatible with S1/3/5, but run on USB. Anything small I build going forward might work with a CPU cooler, or more likely I'll rig up a heatsink/fan combo for it since CPU cooler compatibility is sorely limiting, but they'll also be USB-tied using my own controls set (same as what's mentioned in the Community Miner discussion thread).
CPU Cooler? I'm game Cheesy
I have about 10 oem lga1150 cpu coolers in my closet right now, and if there is going to be a cpu cooler compatible board coming out even in a year, I think i'll keep em in the closet until this board possibly comes ot. Very interesting, and I love to see a good board that can be linked to a rpi on cgminer ( or even just windows pc).GUIs just cannot compare to bare details.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 06:05:58 AM

It's pretty unlikely, honestly, that I'll opt for CPU cooler compatibility. It was pretty difficult to fit 8x BM1384 in a 3cm square, and it would have been impossible to fit more chips than that under any kind of space I would expect every respectable cooler to cover. That, and leaving all the space clear which one would expect a cooler to need for screws and legs and stuff makes the whole board bigger than it needs to be. Had I my choice of heatsinking, I could have made the pod PCB half its size for the same power and hashrate.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Megaquake

Activity: 630
Merit: 506

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2016, 06:13:31 AM

what about converting some gridseed orbs? I have about 14 lying around

Mines at Kano.is best profit in the world!

在Kano.is的BTC
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 06:39:21 AM

This question has come up repeatedly in the past, but it's been a while so I will go ahead and answer it.

No. In no uncertain terms, no. No gridseed pods, no U3, no R-Box. U3 is perhaps the most likely candidate, as it's probably the least uselessly small and dense. But in general, no.

Megaquake

Activity: 630
Merit: 506

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2016, 07:09:35 AM

Well whatever you decide on i'm interested and looking to purchase a substantial amount of hash power in the near future  Smiley

Mines at Kano.is best profit in the world!

在Kano.is的BTC
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 02:37:31 PM

Depending on how near, look at kilo's "Community miner discussion" thread. That's basically taking over my TypeZero project and the plan is to build a USB-connected board that'll fit on an S1 chassis with BitFury chips.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 03:55:00 PM

Depending on how near, look at kilo's "Community miner discussion" thread. That's basically taking over my TypeZero project and the plan is to build a USB-connected board that'll fit on an S1 chassis with BitFury chips.

What should i do with that dead S5 board you sent me? I still have it. Are you still pulling chips for sticks?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 04:13:07 PM

I probably have enough for sticks. But if you want to trade it for one of the S5-controller-compatible pods that'd be alright because I won't have enough chips for everything.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 10:32:14 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2016, 10:56:37 PM by VirosaGITS

I probably have enough for sticks. But if you want to trade it for one of the S5-controller-compatible pods that'd be alright because I won't have enough chips for everything.

If you want. I'm from Canada so we'd just need to take the 3x $ shipping cost back and forth in the math. Then i could send you the two boards at some point.

I just thought you were giving up on S5 chips pods? Or are they Bitfury pods?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 10:46:41 PM

I'll take one I have one S5 controller BB no power board laying around will that mater if so i l get one ,

but one POD for me .

ty

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
WorkHorse78

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 08:52:32 PM

What is the overhead to use a USB controller in the Pod Miner?
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 08:55:57 PM

Not sure I understand that question. Please elaborate.

zOU

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 09:11:27 PM

I think he means:

What the advantage of using a S5 controller vs integrating USB (like the compac stick or the U3)

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 09:31:44 PM

Well part of the advantage is I don't have to write a driver for it, which is good since I'm already doing everything else (and probably also code work, since the guy who's supposed to be helping hasn't gotten back to me in 3 weeks) for a couple other projects right now - on top of manufacturing and hosting. If someone wants to port over S5 code to work with a USB/UART controller, this guy would hook right up to it - except you wouldn't have a temp sensor since that ties in through I2C on the 18-pin header. I had a board design about Christmas with all that stuff integrated, and I handed it to Novak for firmware but he never got around to it and then he left for a freakin' sweet rocket scientist job so it's not gonna get done in any time frame where the BM1384 is even really viable as a hobby miner, not when I have A3218 and BitFury projects already underway.

Mikestang
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 12:43:47 AM

One of my computers has issues with USB miners (U3, nanofury stick, compac, you name it), I would generally prefer miners to use ethernet connections.  Not sure if I'm in the minority or majority on this one...
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 01:27:15 AM

One of my computers has issues with USB miners (U3, nanofury stick, compac, you name it), I would generally prefer miners to use ethernet connections.  Not sure if I'm in the minority or majority on this one...

To me it depends on price to add Ethernet connection.  I am very happy just to use a RPI, they are cheap and easy to get at a store even if you need one quick.   So usb to RPI I am fine with.

I'm worried if you go to Ethernet on pod how much cost it adds. I think a lot of miners have a RPI or two already.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: