Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:49:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: December 2015 "Fastest Crypto" Bake-Off (topic locked)  (Read 5673 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 04:40:40 PM

I've got an idea, kids.

Why don't we do this on a larger scale, and more in the real world ?
Someone (preferably not me) set up a conference, invite all the leading cryptos to send a team to fight it out, both on their own rigs, and on an in-house LAN.
Add a speaker programme and some panels, invite lots of mainstream press, call it the Crypto Olympics, make a proper 2 or 3 day event of it.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2015, 04:51:55 PM

I've got an idea, kids.

Someone (preferably not me) set up a conference, invite all the leading cryptos to send a team to fight it out, both on their own rigs, and on an in-house LAN.
Add a speaker programme and some panels, invite lots of mainstream press, call it the Crypto Olympics, make a proper 2 or 3 day event of it.

I don't care how its done tbh, I just wanna have some fun amongst all the seriousness Smiley

EvilDave

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:35:05 PM

Conferences are fun, mostly. But, yeah, I'm dragging this a bit off-topic.
Having said that.....I've been thinking about putting together a crypto-conference under the Nxt Foundation banner.
Open to all crypto's and projects.... (though all non-Nxt attendees will have to wear orange jumpsuits, obviously.  Grin)

Still, getting a conference together requires a certain amount of lead time......

wingspan (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 06:23:37 PM

a few points for clarification I'll add to the OP:

The tests are meant to be using test currency on a test P2P network.  I don't plan to connect to anything production.  If the test can work by tapping into an existing testnet long enough to get synced, that would be fine.

I want to charge 0.2 BTC to only get serious entrants.  I am happy to donate any excess (beyond my costs to the hosting company and the winner's fee) to the winner.

I do plan to take many screenshots as I go through the testing, and plan to document exactly what I do so others can verify I was not biased, hopefully.

-cheers.

p.s.  I have not rec'd any confirmations yet of folks willing to enter the bake-off (other than Fuserleer's).  

EvilDave

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 08:36:21 PM

I'll ask the boys.....think we can just about afford 0.2 BTC from our budget.
So put NXT down as a 'maybe'

kennyP

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 03:23:48 AM

I've got an idea, kids.

Great idea!!

Most crypto agnostics here who aren't priests in any particular crypto religion just want to see good coins, platforms & developers well supported, so a Crypto Olympics to help the cream float to the top would be really cool ... and FUN!!
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 04:15:29 AM

Great idea!!

Most crypto agnostics here who aren't priests in any particular crypto religion just want to see good coins, platforms & developers well supported, so a Crypto Olympics to help the cream float to the top would be really cool ... and FUN!!

The problem, as I already stated, is that speed is irrelevant until you can show the system functions in the wild without imploding from one of it's own flaws, being exploited to death, or showing it doesn't have deficiencies that a regular blockchain doesn't.  The original poster made the thread under the guise of being a non-biased 3rd party, yet it's blatantly obvious it's an Emunie sock puppet account trying to do something like increase IPO payout.  Dan isn't stupid and has a good chance of possibly creating something viable, but trying to insult people's intelligence by having obvious shills like "peachy" and this guy posting and pretending to be non-biased observers doesn't help.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
kennyP

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 05:57:40 AM

Great idea!!

The problem, as I already stated, is that speed is irrelevant until you can show the system functions in the wild without imploding from one of it's own flaws, being exploited to death, or showing it doesn't have deficiencies that a regular blockchain doesn't.  The original poster made the thread under the guise of being a non-biased 3rd party, yet it's blatantly obvious it's an Emunie sock puppet account trying to do something like increase IPO payout.  Dan isn't stupid and has a good chance of possibly creating something viable, but trying to insult people's intelligence by having obvious shills like "peachy" and this guy posting and pretending to be non-biased observers doesn't help.

So part Olympics, part beauty pageant/bodybuilding pose off, part chat show .... an alt coin conference including all the main contenders of late 2015 would do the whole cryptosphere a ton of good, including bitcoin. I think that's what EvilDave was suggesting.

I support ALL the 'real' crypto projects, and I know I'll be an early adopter in any of the successful ones that go global ... all of us here on this forum will be if we stick around, so friendly competition and rivalry is good if it helps separate the wheat from the chaff. It might not provide conclusive proof but it's better than nothing, and it's better that marketing type 'claims'

I am tired of the name calling and childish zealotry, but even that's OK if it's done with humor. What I don't like are scams, and opponents and rivals using the prevalence of them to FUD legitimate alt coin projects. For some people on this forum that's all they do, and at a conference those people would be exposed as fools, assuming they were up to attending ... I'd go to a conference to watch that!

Anima

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 08:05:14 AM

Great idea!!

As one of the emunie founders, i can tell you straight up that you are wrong.

Wingspan DOES have an emunie forum account. He's a beta tester along with alot more people on our own forum. You can even find info and pictures of Wingspan. A little googling around and you will find its an account that has ZERO to do with Dan. Please bury the hatchet gentlemen.

However, emunie IS interested in doing some 1 to 1 testing with other crypto to prove how far its come. In the past week, we've seen performance claims being way overinflated on a "real" testnet. All it does is it hurts the cryptocommunity - it implodes from the inside. What emunie offers is nothing more than a proof that the claims of 2500 tps peak - evidenced by both screenshots and direct video capture - are all attainable on hardware that can easily be sourced for a test like this. We use regular PC hardware - no asics or server grade hardware needed.

As it seems, the resistance towards this - hopefully fair - test is that it will show just how overinflated some claim are. Investors should demand these tests before they invest their money - else its just the old hype before launch, underdeliver and subsequent dump on exchanges. Everybody looses out - money and trust.

Best regards from Anima - proud member of the Radix team.
r0ach
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 10:39:43 AM
Last edit: October 10, 2015, 02:01:29 PM by r0ach

As one of the emunie founders, i can tell you straight up that you are wrong.

Wingspan DOES have an emunie forum account.

I never said Dan and Wingspan are the same person.  I said Wingspan made this thread with the intent to just hardcore shill for Emunie with no regard to doing an actual non-biased test.  As for the other issue, I was probably the first person to read Dan's high level overview blog of Emunie and the entire theme of it was balance sheets vs input/output blockchains.  Now he's saying that is not the case and it's not a balance sheet or ledger, but something different.  It's too hard to even discuss this thing if the goal posts are always up in the air or vaguely described.

He said I'm incorrectly describing the system.  What do you expect?  One second we got blocks, next second we got some type of DAG tree, then we got hatchers, then we don't have hatchers, what the hell is a hatcher anyway?  How long until Evan Duffield randomly forks Darkcoin and renames them to Darkhatchers?

......ATLANT......
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
Fuserleer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2015, 10:45:43 AM

Great idea!!

The OP clearly stated in the initial post that he was biased towards eMunie, everyone around here has some sort of bias or allegiance to some project.  Whether it be Bitcoin, Nxt, BitShares, Vanilla or whatever else the current flavor of the month is, just because there is bias, that doesn't mean that individual can't perform a valid test....believe it or not, some of us on here are mature enough to leave bias at the door in certain situations.

I really thought you had more intelligence and integrity than resorting to accusations of sock puppet/shill accounts to "win" your argument.  Disappointing.

Fuserleer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2015, 10:51:50 AM

I was probably the first person to read Dan's high level overview blog of Emunie and the entire theme of it was balance sheets vs input/output blockchains.  Now he's saying that is not the case and it's not a balance sheet or ledger, but something different.  It's too hard to even discuss this thing if the goal posts are always up in the air or vaguely described.

He said I'm incorrectly describing the system.  What do you expect?  One second we got blocks, next second we got some type of DAG tree, then we got hatchers, then we don't got hatchers, what the hell is a hatcher anyway?  How long until Evan Duffield randomly forks Darkcoin and renames them to Darkhatchers?

I don't believe I ever said balance sheets, usually I refer to is as balance tracking....if I did post balance sheets in a response to one of the 100s of questions anywhere, then thats my bad.

You are incorrectly describing the system, and stating it as "fact" in some of your negative posting.  I've repeatedly stated that I'm working on the documentation that will describe it accurately and that forum posts hastily constructed to answer a question may have errors or wrong terminology.  

On one hand you are stating its too difficult to understand without documentation, the next you are posting in threads that eMunie is going to blow up, that its not comparable to block chains or anything of the sort.  How can you make these claims when you have stated you don't fully understand the system yet because I haven't presented all the documentation?  I'm beginning to get the feeling this is more of a witch-hunt rather than a real desire to understand and dissect.

Further more, these changes you are talking of have been progress over 2 years or more, hardly sudden changes.

EvilDave

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 01:18:23 PM

Great idea!!

So part Olympics, part beauty pageant/bodybuilding pose off, part chat show .... an alt coin conference including all the main contenders of late 2015 would do the whole cryptosphere a ton of good, including bitcoin. I think that's what EvilDave was suggesting.

I support ALL the 'real' crypto projects, and I know I'll be an early adopter in any of the successful ones that go global ... all of us here on this forum will be if we stick around, so friendly competition and rivalry is good if it helps separate the wheat from the chaff. It might not provide conclusive proof but it's better than nothing, and it's better that marketing type 'claims'

Much +1 to KennyP......

I am tired of the name calling and childish zealotry, but even that's OK if it's done with humor. What I don't like are scams, and opponents and rivals using the prevalence of them to FUD legitimate alt coin projects. For some people on this forum that's all they do, and at a conference those people would be exposed as fools, assuming they were up to attending ... I'd go to a conference to watch that!

r0ach
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 02:04:54 PM

I'm beginning to get the feeling this is more of a witch-hunt rather than a real desire to understand and dissect.

Of course it's a witch hunt.  Anything with an IPO is going to be under 10x more suspicion than a coin you can mine.  I mean come on, do you know who you're talking to here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=443196.0

......ATLANT......
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
Peachy

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2015, 11:40:43 PM

Great idea!!

I'm a "shill" now?  Gee, what did I ever do to turn your crank?  You don't hear me squawking about how you are an obvious Bitshares shill do you? 

I was trying to keep the topic fun and entertaining (as crypto should be), but alas some have lost site of the original intent and focus for why they joined this fight years ago.  I have "sampled" the crypto appetizer menu for years, but I keep coming back to the one that is most fair, easiest to understand (for a relatively non-technical person) and (most importantly) has an elastic monetary supply model (which is the ONLY one that will succeed as a true currency per the Quantity Theory of Money).

Here's hoping we can move past the petty name calling and get to something more meaningful.

RADiX (formerly eMunie): The future of money
r0ach
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 03:51:10 AM

I'm a "shill" now?  Gee, what did I ever do to turn your crank?

Peachy, you may be the most classic textbook definition of a shill ever created.  You don't post very often, and the only time you do post over an entire year is specifically talking about one thing, Emunie.  You don't post about Bitcoin, you don't post about economics, you don't post about politics, you don't post about other coins, you only post about Emunie.  Your posts also seem to be coordinated to within minutes of every Dan post like you're his sister or girlfriend or something living in the same house...

Please do not try and insult people's intelligence here and pretend that you aren't pushing a flat out propaganda campaign.

You don't hear me squawking about how you are an obvious Bitshares shill do you?

I clearly stated in the following post that due to every coin having probabilistic security models open to black swan events, there would likely be 3-5 top coins with no coin having a monopoly and Bitshares + Emunie were the two current most likely candidates besides BTC:  

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1171109.0

There is more uncertainty surrounding Emunie than Bitshares though, so of course Bitshares is the current safest/best choice.  Due to the way the Emunie monetary system works, early adopters are probably likely to make more money in Bitshares as well.

......ATLANT......
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
vaporware asset wizard

Activity: 162

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 05:19:28 AM

I'm a "shill" now?  Gee, what did I ever do to turn your crank?

Peachy, you may be the most classic textbook definition of a shill ever created.  You don't post very often, and the only time you do post over an entire year is specifically talking about one thing, Emunie.  You don't post about Bitcoin, you don't post about economics, you don't post about politics, you don't post about other coins, you only post about Emunie.  Your posts also seem to be coordinated to within minutes of every Dan post like you're his sister or girlfriend or something living in the same house...

Please do not try and insult people's intelligence here and pretend that you aren't pushing a flat out propaganda campaign.

I disagree, Peachy isn't a classic shill coz he doesn't go looking for trouble on other coin threads. He's a classic minion, henchman, attack dog, No. 1 ... right-hand-man to Fuserleer. You might not like him, or agree with him, but's he's a higher order forum life-form than a 'shill'

Shills are pro-active in their cause whereas Peachy is always reactive, and only when eMunie or Fuserleer gets attacked as you mentioned yourself. There's a difference, and that's why Peachy's post count is low and almost 100% related to defending eMunie against attacks.

edit:
SHILL
noun
an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler who poses as a genuine customer to entice or encourage others.

HENCHMAN
noun derogatory
a faithful follower or political supporter, especially one prepared to engage in crime or violence by way of service.
Cobra

Activity: 289
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 01:47:36 PM

I'm beginning to get the feeling this is more of a witch-hunt rather than a real desire to understand and dissect.

Of course it's a witch hunt.  Anything with an IPO is going to be under 10x more suspicion than a coin you can mine.  I mean come on, do you know who you're talking to here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=443196.0

I assume I will get categorized as the same from you (shill, henchman, cheerleader) but a few things to point out. I have seen quite a few different crypto solutions since January 2012 (before hearing of eMunie in June 2013) and I can say with confidence that I feel eMunie is the only one that I have come across that addresses all of the flaws of BTC AND has ability to scale to be a mainstream solution for the public or your average non-technical consumer. It will hold a public IPO after the product is 90% complete and close to launch versus hold an IPO and start development from scratch.

eMunie really redefines mining in general to instead of that you are rewarded fairly for participating or running services for the network (distributing ledger, chat service, mail service, profile service, ratings service, decentralized marketplace) Someone that joins eMunie years down the road will have a clear path to participate and be rewarded with eMunie in addition to earning interest on their balance. I like to think of it as a hybrid between POS and POW for the end user.

I also do not post very frequently with Senior level member still as I approach my 4th year here shortly. For many people in this forum part of the fun is evaluating the best solution and have probably ran a wallet for hundreds of different coins. The current environment is more like horse racing than anything else. We all are betting on different horses here. In my case I am picking a Perfecta of eMunie for the Win and maid safe to come in second. Those two projects have something in common in that they are both carry themselves with integrity, years of dedication, and an attitude of designing the product in the best way without cutting corners. Personally I would like to see the two of them work together and think they would make a good combination. This is why it can take years, especially in the case of eMunie with 1 developer.

I have enjoyed keeping up on the other solutions out there.  I also paid the 10 protoshares back in the day to get a preferred ID in Bitshares in 2014, at the time I guess I got bored with that and the workaround needing to resync the blockchain to get it moving again. In the eMunie testing has it ever got stuck on various beta's sure. many times. But that is the difference it is not released to the public and would not without extensive testing to make sure that will not happen. Our current test network just hit 2.4 million transactions without getting stuck. That is the type of testing BTS should do before they release. Some of the other coins I have looked into are Burst, (proof of capacity based) it has lasted over a year and it is unique and why it had my interest. It was fun to learn, fun to mine, and enjoyable way to pass the time. Does it have the ability to compete with other solutions...no, not at all but fun none the less. Also tested Storj, potential exists there too but just prefer maidsafe myself. I have tested ETH mining out and hard to believe they are on a live network. It does not seem all that fair to give the tech guru an advantage to mine it now without simple GUI available and a year later with Serenity release be full POS coin where the average user must "buy in" to use it. I do give credit to Bitshares over ETH in that regard of just having a Windows wallet available originally.

The point is that many of us here do look for the BEST solution and willing to give each of them a chance. It is a great idea on this OP to spur some competition and pass the time, why not. It would only be one factor that people may use in their evaluation of different solutions. I am happy to see the focus in the alt coin section sort of evolve toward the more unique solutions in general away from the copy/paste coins. eMunie, BTS, VNL, XMR, DASH all have their thriving community of users. Let the all around best solution win. (achieve a level equal to or above BTC) that should be the overall goal here for all of them.

wingspan (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 02:26:23 PM

Additional clarifications I've added to the OP:
  • I define one "payment transaction" as: one wallet paying another in the simple sense.  Additional activity for associated fees, preparing the payment so it can be spent by the receiver, or splitting payment into parts ... should all just counted as part of the one payment transaction.  E.g., buying a cup of coffee = 1 payment transaction (even if miners take a portion, a randomizer service is involved, or behind the scenes lots of activity happens in sub-transactions).
  • The baseline configuration I reset nodes to for each test is what I get using this doc starting from the OS I get from Digital Ocean:  https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-vnc-on-ubuntu-14-04  If I need to install other "assumed" items, please provide the instructions.
-cheers.
Peachy

Activity: 179

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2015, 02:59:17 PM

And it's the (lack of) camaraderie such as this being the principal reason why I don't post over here very often. 

Also, some of us do have a life (and job) outside of this place and don't have the luxury of time required to graduate up to school-yard bully.  If you enjoy that position then good for you.  I have better things to do with my time.

However, if someone over here is claiming it's raining outside in my neighborhood and I stick my head out the window and see the sun is clearly shining then I guess in your view you'd call me a shill/henchman/naysayer/global-warming-denier. 

I only spout what I know as fact based on what I've seen and tested with my own eyes.  However, you seem to assume it's raining based on any hint of water on the windows and will beat down anyone that claims otherwise. 

As for being a supporter of eMunie, well anyone with a 2nd grade reading level would see that I've had that in my signature line since day one ("eMunie: The future of money") so I can't quite comprehend how this is supposedly some master conspiracy you think you've uncovered when it's been that way for years. 

RADiX (formerly eMunie): The future of money
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: