Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:42:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Secure storage for bitcoins bought while travelling?  (Read 1285 times)
hazchem (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 06:18:51 PM

Hi,

got interested in bitcoins before I left for a trip overseas.

Downloaded the client onto my GNU/Linux computer but was not able to buy any bitcoins before leaving.

Have now bought some (100+) bitcoins while travelling by accessing the necessary web sites through my android phone.

I have most of the bitcoins still on the Mt. Gox exchange but have moved some on to Mybitcoin.

I would actually like to put most of them into a wallet. However I didn't bring the address of the wallet I set up on my GNU/Linux computer back home.

I do have access to Window computers at internet cafes and I am carrying a USB stick.

Would it be a good idea to install bitcoin onto the USB stick at an internet cafe and move my bitcoin into that wallet and then erase all traces from the internet cafe computer? Even if I run it from the USB stick I think the wallet is still stored on the C: drive so I would have to be careful to properly copy and erase...

Are there other solutions? Or is it safest to just leave it in the Mt. Gox exchange and/or in Mybitcoin until I get home (in a week and a half)?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dude65535

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 06:27:41 PM

I would say it comes down to: who do you trust more the internet cafe or mt.gox/mybitcoin. To me it seems trusting mt.gox is safer than trusting a internet cafe computer to be free of virues.

1DCj8ZwGZXQqQhgv6eUEnWgsxo8BTMj3mT
nussbi

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 06:33:23 PM

I would say it comes down to: who do you trust more the internet cafe or mt.gox/mybitcoin. To me it seems trusting mt.gox is safer than trusting a internet cafe computer to be free of virues.

I agree and I don't see mtgox being taken down within a week and a half (though it is always possible). I have seen my fair share of internet cafes around the world and would not trust something with a value of more than ten bucks to any of them...
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 06:58:08 PM

Diversifying is a good strategy.

I wouldn't trust that an Internet cafe computer was safe; if I were you, I might buy some bitbills ( bitbills.com ) and have them mailed to your home address.  I ordered some bitbills shortly before I left for France and the mailman delivered them to me with the rest of my held mail when I got home.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: