Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:20:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why was this deleted?  (Read 4214 times)
ahpku (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 02:55:06 PM

Which unspoken rule did I break?

Quote from: Bitcoin Forum
A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by a Bitcoin Forum moderator. Posts are most frequently deleted because they are off-topic, though they can also be deleted for other reasons. In the future, please avoid posting things that need to be deleted.

Crypto 'Investors' Seek $100 Million in Class Action Lawsuit
An $100m class action lawsuit has been filed on behalf of victims of an alleged Ponzi scheme involving the fake cryptocurrency 'Gemcoin' days after a US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) crackdown.
"Defendants heralded ... new cryptocurrency they invited that would be revolutionary and grow exponentially in value, and that Plaintiffs could become early investors."

while shit like this [posted in my thread] isn't?

Having fun creating 6 troll accounts in the last 30 min?

Go fuck a duck, tard!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2015, 02:57:19 PM

Did you add any of your own text, or did you just post a quote?

A quote alone might be considered as not contributing anything to the conversation.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
ahpku (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 03:05:58 PM

Did you add any of your own text, or did you just post a quote?

A quote alone might be considered as not contributing anything to the conversation.

The mentioned post was deleted from my "Bearish News Thread," started as a sister thread to The Bullish News Thread.
Roughly 80% of the posts in The Bullish News Thread are simply .png screen captures of articles.
To my knowledge, none of those are ever deleted.
*Also unsure as to what, exactly, inviting me to "go fuck a duck" contributes to the conversation.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2015, 03:08:23 PM

Actually it was just a single report (I think), You have to read the rules first to understand.
13. Bumps, "updates" are limited to once per 24 hours.[2]
You can't just open a thread about "news" and keep posting unlimited links. Obviously this is prone to abuse and thus a rule was made against it. My suggestion would be to start merging posts. Your whole thread needs to be cleaned as you've broken this rule several times. //I was not aware of the other thread either.

As for the other post, I had not noticed it (I was using my smartphone). Just report obvious trolling using the "Report to moderator " feature.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ahpku (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 03:14:00 PM
Last edit: October 08, 2015, 03:24:26 PM by ahpku

Actually it was just a single report (I think), You have to read the rules first to understand.
You can't just open a thread about "news" and keep posting unlimited links. Obviously this is prone to abuse and thus a rule was made against it. My suggestion would be to start merging posts. Your whole thread needs to be cleaned as you've broken this rule several times.

As for the other post, I had not noticed it (I was using my smartphone). Just report obvious trolling using the "Report to moderator " feature.

I invite you to check out The Bullish News Thread (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1166428.0), and suggest you apply to it the same rigor.
(or should I report the posts individually?)

Make it real simple for you:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=357170;sa=showPosts

*Waiting for your answer
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2015, 03:44:32 PM

You can't just open a thread about "news" and keep posting unlimited links. Obviously this is prone to abuse and thus a rule was made against it. My suggestion would be to start merging posts. Your whole thread needs to be cleaned as you've broken this rule several times.

I invite you to check out The Bullish News Thread (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1166428.0), and suggest you apply to it the same rigor.
(or should I report the posts individually?)

*Waiting for your answer

lets stop the time, to make it harder I only use one hand, go:

37 seconds for one report. If you are a regular reader of said thread it should not be an issue to report those posts that bump the thread < 24 hours.

I understand that you feel singled out, but mods are bussy and you cant expect them to read the entire board. If you dont report posts, no one else might.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 05:01:25 PM

The "Bump" rule is actually a marketplace rule as it is posted in a thread in marketplace titled "marketplace rules and guidelines" so I would not think it would apply to threads in other, non-marketplace sections.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2015, 05:10:33 PM
Last edit: October 08, 2015, 06:22:41 PM by Lauda

*Waiting for your answer
That does not fall under my 'jurisdiction' and thus I can not do anything about it. That thread will most likely get cleaned and yours will be too. Actually repeatedly breaking that rule tends to result in a (shorter) ban. This is the first time that I've seen that thread.

The "Bump" rule is actually a marketplace rule as it is posted in a thread in marketplace titled "marketplace rules and guidelines" so I would not think it would apply to threads in other, non-marketplace sections.
No. It might have been a marketplace only rule in the past, but this applies to all section without exception.

Update: No reference from someone else yet. However, keep in mind that there is also this:
the staff have the right to follow their interpretation of the rules

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 05:16:06 PM

No. It might have been a marketplace only rule in the past, but this applies to all section without exception.
Do you have a thread or a post that clarifies this rule somewhere? The only place I have ever seen this rule posted is in the above referenced thread. Even the unofficial list of official rules references that same thread (with a footnote of [2] )
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2015, 06:20:54 PM

Do you have a thread or a post that clarifies this rule somewhere?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1203661.msg12635773#msg12635773

Clarification from staff.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
ahpku (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 06:35:51 PM

You can't just open a thread about "news" and keep posting unlimited links. Obviously this is prone to abuse and thus a rule was made against it. My suggestion would be to start merging posts. Your whole thread needs to be cleaned as you've broken this rule several times. //I was not aware of the other thread either.

Certainly I would not wish to see my thread decimated, and the mere thought of a ban, no matter its duration, sends me into a funk. Could you, perchance, if you don't terribly mind, share your thoughts as to how I may resolve this conundrum, without finding myself on the wrong side of the [by]law?

Clearly, lumping multiple unrelated news articles into the same post is a forced, clumsy solution -- if for no reason other than failing to clue in the reader regarding new content.

Perhaps a more elegant approach would be to alter the posts, somehow?  With each one already being new, pertinent, unique, and containing a nontrivial, enlightening payload, what other qualities must each posses to reduce its ...'bumpishness'?
Or would it be more appropriate to simply start a new topic, as more 'bearish news' come to light?
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2015, 06:43:25 PM

Clearly, lumping multiple unrelated news articles into the same post is a forced, clumsy solution -- if for no reason other than failing to clue in the reader regarding new content.

Perhaps a more elegant approach would be to alter the posts, somehow?  With each one already being new, pertinent, unique, and containing a nontrivial, enlightening payload, what other qualities must each posses to reduce its ...'bumpishness'?
No, it does not create a mess if you properly format it like I tend to do. Use this:
Code:
[hr][hr]
to separate with two lines. It really looks nice in my opinion. This is just my suggestion (not a solution); either: A) merge posts; B) Do not post so frequent that you have a lot of posts in a row. There's really no need to post so many "news articles" each day in a single thread.

Or would it be more appropriate to simply start a new topic, as more 'bearish news' come to light?
Actually I think that it might be even worse considering how many news articles you've posted so far.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ahpku (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 07:07:57 PM

No, it does not create a mess if you properly format it like I tend to do. Use this:
Code:
[hr][hr]
to separate with two lines. It really looks nice in my opinion. This is just my suggestion (not a solution); either: A) merge posts;

See boldface. How would a reader know when fresh content has been added?

B) Do not post so frequent that you have a lot of posts in a row. There's really no need to post so many "news articles" each day in a single thread.

Not sure I understand.  No need?  What, praytell, does that mean?  Are we discussing personal preferences, or forum rules?

Actually I think that it might be even worse considering how many news articles you've posted so far.

To clarify: The posts aren't simply cut & paste quotes (or screen grabs, as is the case with the 'bullish news' sister thread). Rather, original content containing quotations and citing sources.
At the risk of sounding brash, have you read any of the posts in question?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2015, 07:11:16 PM

-snip-
-snip-

AFAIK an edit triggers a post to add up on the watchlist again, but it does not bump the thread up in the subboard view. Its reasonable to assume that regular readers either use a bookmark and can just check or the watchlist.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 07:14:21 PM

-snip-
-snip-

AFAIK an edit triggers a post to add up on the watchlist again, but it does not bump the thread up in the subboard view. Its reasonable to assume that regular readers either use a bookmark and can just check or the watchlist.
An edit does not make a thread show up on your watchlist. If you are viewing a sub then an edited post that you previously read will now show up as unread so unless you are specifically looking for new content on that thread then a reader will not see it.

Edit: I tried testing this using a not-so-secret alt and my old account sales thread and I was not able to get my thread to show up as being unread after editing the OP as well as after editing *my* last reply to my thread.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2015, 07:18:25 PM

-snip-
To clarify: The posts aren't simply cut & paste quotes (or screen grabs, as is the case with the 'bullish news' sister thread). Rather, original content containing quotations and citing sources.
There are various formatting options (e.g. size, color, etc.) that would make it pretty obvious that a post contains new content. What's with the urge with frequent updates? People seem to forget 1 obvious thing: forum != news site. If you are so into posting articles, open up your website. That would be beneficial for you and 'your readers'. Otherwise 1 post a day that contains a few news articles should be enough.

This is not my personal preference. I'm rather trying to properly understand and interpret forum rules and guidelines. If it was up to me, it would have been cleaned long ago. I'm a bit strict(er) when it comes to certain things (i.e. I like things clean.  Smiley ).

Update: Minor fix.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ahpku (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 07:39:11 PM

-snip-
There are various formatting options (e.g. size, color, etc.) that would make it pretty obvious that a post contains new content.

Not on the reader's watchlist, no.

What's with the urge with frequent updates?

Why do news sites update during the day? My guess is "Because news happens in time."
It can't be posted before it happens (due to the temporal nature of our universe), and it stops being news if posted long after it happened.
These truths, as they say, we hold to be self-evident.

People seem to forget 1 obvious thing: forum != news site. If you are so into posting articles, open up your website. That would be beneficial for you and 'your readers'. Otherwise 1 post a day that contains a few news articles should be enough.

The forum is many thing to many people -- a news site, a bazaar, a place to steal, a place to earn pennies from signature campaigns, etc., etc.
If, OTOH, you could point me to a forum policy re. '1 post a day [being] enough,' please do.
But why such stinginess regarding the number of posts? Clearly the posts are not spam, clearly the thread has a reader base, the account is not a part of an ad campaign, so what gives?

This is not my personal preference. I'm rather trying to properly understand and interpret forum rules and guidelines. If it was up to me, we wouldn't be discussing this at all. I'm a bit strict(er) when it comes to certain things.

Go on!
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2015, 07:44:38 PM

The forum is many thing to many people -- a news site, a bazaar, a place to steal, a place to earn pennies from signature campaigns, etc., etc.
If, OTOH, you could point me to a forum policy re. '1 post a day [being] enough,' please do.

Go on!
That's subjective and pretty unrelated. The forum is one thing, what the user thinks it is is quite a different thing. I was not talking about '1 post per day' rule. I was suggesting what you could do. As previously stated:
This includes your "news" thread, i.e. you're posting updates. I've explained it enough times (from my interpretation) and I will not explain it here anymore as we would be going in circles (maybe someone else will pitch in if you're lucky). Good luck with whatever you decide (just don't break the rules).

Go on!
No. My "job" is to make sure that people follow rules, not to make my own.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ahpku (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 07:47:30 PM

In other words, there is no policy re. frequency of posts, as long as the posts are not spam. Correct?

re. your edit, I think I've shown that my posts are not "bumps."
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2015, 07:49:51 PM

In other words, there is no policy re. frequency of posts, as long as the posts are not spam. Correct?
There is none. There are people making a lot of posts (20+) a day. However, what you are doing is 'bumping' the thread by posting 'updates'. Rule 13 applies to that.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: