Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 05:11:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Man Behind Week-Long Bitcoin Attacks Reveals Himself  (Read 3981 times)
TheGr33k

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:53:18 AM

thanks for link to story tokeweed

very annoying but does need addressing
I have little faith in the core developers or foundation to agree zip these days
plus it takes them months, years to even code something small, then they make out their genius'

maybe this guy is doing us a favour in a way
but what if multiple people start doing it? what if he makes his 100 line code opensource

exchanges like cryptsy can't even get basic wallets for alts resynced in over a week. then shut down btc wallet for withdrawals due to this issue for days

shows how fragile things are right now

it would only take a few of these guys to affect price in a bad way, add block debate to conversation too

The core developers need assistance all on fronts, because they're short-staffed and not paid. I don't personally think it would be the end of the world for bitcoin to get hammered in price while we work out some bugs/growing-pains. Weak exchanges, pump-and-dumps and investors that don't belong in the cryptography industry will get theirs if this were the case. Scare away the bandits, feign disorder comrades.

Core has had a fix for this already however, and most 3rd parties are failing to adopt.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2015, 05:54:40 AM

I think he has done the community a great deal of favor by pointing out weaknesses in the system. At least once we know where the loophole is we can have a patch to cover up during the next update. At least on the bitcoin price this has not been affected as it is still on yhe uptrend.

amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 06:05:41 AM

what if he makes his 100 line code opensource
Do not worry about it.
One has some knowledge in bitcoin protocol and programming skills would be able to write it himself.

upd: typo fixed
TheGr33k

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 06:08:30 AM

what if he makes his 100 line code opensource
Do now worry about it.
One has some knowledge in bitcoin protocol and programming skills would be able to write it himself.

Basically it is already open-source, at least as of recently. Anyone who wants to be doing this is already doing it because they can easily find the resources readily available to do so.
I'm sure anybody with advanced knowledge has moved on to the next thing and this is old-news, and not worth anymore time.
alwinlinzee

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 06:41:03 AM

There seems to be similarity between these names Alister Maclin and Amaclin or it was just a coincidence?

TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 07:00:10 AM

Why should somebody fix vunerability if you do not want to pay for fixing?
I am going to kill your dog.  Your dog is vulnerable.  I could fix this vulnerability - but you are going to have to pay me for that.

Fuck you Maclin.  It is very hard to build a tall building.  It is very easy to blow one up.  You think you are some kind of genius?  Typical Russian prick.  

If you are even slightly talented, use your talent to improve the protocol rather than finding a weakness to exploit and get off trying to claim you dominate bitcoin.  The core devs will remove this minor tick in due course and you will again be the same miserable piece of shit you were yesterday.
~Bitcoin~
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 07:06:36 AM

Why the member who love bitcoin is trying to break its network or working system? Is it only for security test or just to get bitcoin down? Everybody here i think loves the way bitcoin work but why all of these test or attacks going on by the people who love bitcoin.  Huh Huh

Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 07:18:55 AM

Why the member who love bitcoin is trying to break its network or working system? Is it only for security test or just to get bitcoin down? Everybody here i think loves the way bitcoin work but why all of these test or attacks going on by the people who love bitcoin.  Huh Huh

try reading the article by visiting link
he doesn't love bitcoin

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 07:22:05 AM

it will only make it stronger, if anything. any kind of system will improve every time it faced and survived an attack.
nothing is broken. and these attacks will not break bitcoins.

if bitcoin can be taken down by just one man then it should be considered a failed system.
amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 07:36:19 AM

There seems to be similarity between these names Alister Maclin and Amaclin or it was just a coincidence?
yes it's me
amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 07:37:57 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2015, 07:48:10 AM by amaclin

If you are even slightly talented, use your talent to improve the protocol
It is not possible [to improve protocol].

any kind of system will improve every time it faced and survived an attack.
Wrong assumption.
alwinlinzee

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 07:44:31 AM

yes it's me
More than anything i like people that says the truth even in the faces of strong oppositions.
If i may ask, why did you do it? and what do you intend to achieve?

amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 07:47:00 AM

More than anything i like people that says the truth even in the faces of strong oppositions.
I want to tell you that bitcoin is too weak for you lifetime savings
onemorexmr

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 07:48:53 AM

but you havent shown that?

only thing you showed is that many services are unable to learn from past accidents...but nothing bad happened because of your mallability "attack": even the price did not react.

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 07:57:04 AM

Uh, OK. Are many Bitcoin users keeping their lifetime savings in BTC? What proportion of users are we talking about? And how did you find this out?

How has this proportion changed as your efforts to educate users progress?

This space intentionally left blank.
amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 08:00:21 AM

Should I talk about atheism in a church?
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1253

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 08:03:41 AM

No, but at least he had his 5 minutes of fame.  Wink
alwinlinzee

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 08:14:01 AM

Good to understand your reason but now that you know about its weakness how do we make it strong because there is possibility that a lot of people might die of one ailment or the other if they loss their bitcoins especially those that have put their life investment in it.

LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 08:25:32 AM

Good to understand your reason but now that you know about its weakness how do we make it strong because there is possibility that a lot of people might die of one ailment or the other if they loss their bitcoins especially those that have put their life investment in it.

What drew me to Bitcoin initially is that it gives me control over my finances. With that control comes responsibility. If anyone has put all their life savings in Bitcoin, they need to take responsibility for that.

However, I remain to be convinced that people are that naïve, and in sufficient numbers, to warrant the excuse amaclin has offered.

This space intentionally left blank.
amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 08:26:44 AM

Good to understand your reason but now that you know about its
weakness how do we make it strong because there is possibility
that a lot of people might die of one ailment or the other if they
loss their bitcoins especially those that have put their life investment in it.

Let me give you an example.
Assume you have two semi identical electric instruments. For example two drills.
The only difference between them that the first one consumes 1kWH and the second 2kWH
You are reasonable.
What will you do? There are several possibilities:
1) Use both instruments time-to-time
2) Use first one
3) Use second one
4) Modify first one to improve it
5) Modify second one to improve it
6) Research the difference and improve both instruments...
7) ... etc

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: