Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:08:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Man Behind Week-Long Bitcoin Attacks Reveals Himself  (Read 3975 times)
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1253

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 11:01:29 AM

It's not an attack at all. It's a test for bad implementations and bad business models. My nodes do not even relay those high S transactions.
RussianRaibow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I AM A SCAMMER

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2015, 11:02:46 AM

So if amaclin makes these 100 lines of code public, Bitcoin will die?

no, this is only a pesky attack, it will not broke nothing

This is not a "pesky attack" anymore, when a few thousand people or a botnet start to run the script.
For those, using a correct wallet implementation, that does not try to spend UTXO, it'd still be a "pesky attack". Certain bitcoin processor/forwarder/notifier are doing it wrong, e.g. BitPay. They're accepting unconfirmed Tx. They are gonna suffer.

I AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMER
mezzomix
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 02:00:25 PM

Certain bitcoin processor/forwarder/notifier are doing it wrong, e.g. BitPay. They're accepting unconfirmed Tx.

The only problem is to use unconfirmed transaction outputs to create new transactions. Accepting unconfirmed transactions is no problem if it's done right. The changed S value does not change the transaction input or output definitions.
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 02:15:16 PM

Which exchange was this attack related to? I can assume several wallets and exchanges will lose money if they use txhash to determine whether a payment was successful. This is apparently what MagicalTux claims to have emptied Gox's wallets (which seems implausible). 

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
mezzomix
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 03:54:18 PM

Which exchange was this attack related to? I can assume several wallets and exchanges will lose money if they use txhash to determine whether a payment was successful. This is apparently what MagicalTux claims to have emptied Gox's wallets (which seems implausible). 

Mark Karpeles lied when he claimed that this money was lost because of transaction malleability. Today the transaction malleabilty behaviour is well known. Only dumb idiots send a money again without any check and lose money if they do not find the expected transaction ID in a block.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 04:05:57 PM

Actually, it's pretty good that someone is exploiting some vulnerabilities in the network for the developers to take a closer look at the code and patch it up as soon as they can. What's annoying is that it hurts businesses and normal individuals who just wants to send and receive transactions. It kinda scares them to accept bitcoin and be open about it again.
tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 05:23:08 PM

Actually, it's pretty good that someone is exploiting some vulnerabilities in the network for the developers to take a closer look at the code and patch it up as soon as they can. What's annoying is that it hurts businesses and normal individuals who just wants to send and receive transactions. It kinda scares them to accept bitcoin and be open about it again.

The problem isn't that the developers didn't understand the problem or know how to fix it.  The problem is that they lacked the leadership skills to implement the fix.  They have known about the problem since October 4, 2012!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=8392.msg1245898#msg1245898

The problem is that bitcoin lacks leadership and governance.  There are "leaders" who can foresee problems but who can not propose and sell acceptable solutions.  The  malleability attack has been known for three years, but no fix has been deployed.  This is because the "leaders" are afraid that the obvious solutions would not be implemented by the followers.  A "leader" who is afraid that he would not be followed is no leader.
mezzomix
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 05:27:42 PM

Seems that 0.11.1 will get the low S check: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/71cc9d9fe829efd9c9b012c4cd1ece1d988b4869
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 05:50:42 PM

thanks for link to story tokeweed

very annoying but does need addressing
I have little faith in the core developers or foundation to agree zip these days
plus it takes them months, years to even code something small, then they make out their genius'

maybe this guy is doing us a favour in a way
but what if multiple people start doing it? what if he makes his 100 line code opensource

exchanges like cryptsy can't even get basic wallets for alts resynced in over a week. then shut down btc wallet for withdrawals due to this issue for days

shows how fragile things are right now

it would only take a few of these guys to affect price in a bad way, add block debate to conversation too

I haven't done any Bitcoin movements in the past week so I don't know to what extent this is a real problem. I need to get my Bitcoins from Coinut to my wallet so we'll see how it goes. I think it's clear somethings needs to be done quick but its a bit overblown saying he broke anything.
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2015, 01:59:50 PM

I move BTC daily for years and never even felt a hiccup the entire time. Nice 'attack' lol

notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 10:13:29 PM

Ok, I don't know exactly what they/he were/was doing but Microsoft just patched it. The attack has to be more than just on the Bitcoin network, as you can see whatever MS changed in the last update fixed it.

Here's today's snapshot with the patch being applied just before 12 PM.

Here's a week long snapshot.

Looks like this new attack started on the 8th.
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:00:50 PM

The problem isn't that the developers didn't understand the problem or know how to fix it.  The problem is that they lacked the leadership skills to implement the fix.  They have known about the problem since October 4, 2012!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=8392.msg1245898#msg1245898

The problem is that bitcoin lacks leadership and governance.  There are "leaders" who can foresee problems but who can not propose and sell acceptable solutions.  The  malleability attack has been known for three years, but no fix has been deployed.  This is because the "leaders" are afraid that the obvious solutions would not be implemented by the followers.  A "leader" who is afraid that he would not be followed is no leader.

"leader" means central power. central power means BTC belongs to "him". You want decentralization? Then, face it Smiley
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2015, 11:13:21 PM

Ok, I don't know exactly what they/he were/was doing but Microsoft just patched it. The attack has to be more than just on the Bitcoin network, as you can see whatever MS changed in the last update fixed it.

Microsoft patching bitcoin? Source for your graphs please. Statoshi shows there is still a problem:

Plento

Activity: 129
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:14:36 PM

I'm generally a fan of these attacks.  Highlights problems that require a resolve.
rychallenge

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:25:46 PM

Nothing's broken.

Nope but it caused some annoying disruptions nonetheless.
a lot of annoying distruption, across many service in bitcoin.

thing like this i think is good...this way bitcoin and community can help fix these error from happening in issues in future!
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 12:03:38 AM

Nothing's broken.

Nope but it caused some annoying disruptions nonetheless.

like 100% CPU in poor nodes ...
but the other face of this, i can test the maxmempooltx setting now (500-800).

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 12:08:27 AM

a lot of annoying distruption, across many service in bitcoin.

many block explorer crash, it's true.
notbatman
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 12:18:39 AM

Microsoft patching bitcoin? Source for your graphs please. Statoshi shows there is still a problem:

Obviously MS isn't patching bitcoind directly but their patch clearly resolved the issue. The source of the graph is p2pool. Finally, I don't consider a backlog of spam an issue; I reject everything under 0.0005 BTC as spam.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2015, 08:30:50 AM

Obviously MS isn't patching bitcoind directly but their patch clearly resolved the issue. The source of the graph is p2pool. Finally, I don't consider a backlog of spam an issue; I reject everything under 0.0005 BTC as spam.

I have questions...

#1 what does the graphs show? The x axis is unlabelled.

#2 What MS patch are you talking about?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
notbatman
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 09:06:43 AM

I have questions...

#1 what does the graphs show? The x axis is unlabelled.

#2 What MS patch are you talking about?

1) That's my hash rate over time.

2) Not sure, MS automatically installs updates and I haven't bothered see what was installed; KB articles tend to be a dry read.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: