Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:12:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A conflicting transaction has been detected in our memory pool. The transaction  (Read 824 times)
pavs94 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 08:14:38 AM

SO i received this transaction from my other wallet
1)  https://blockchain.info/tx/06810d392213a7453bbe6ad4ab95c0892875b0db2b56b3db5ef942b0a42eced4
for 1.02BTC

and sent these for 1btc and 0.2btc while the previous transaction was unconfirmed:
2)  https://blockchain.info/tx/44f68a0987fe9dfe88045c977c5d66534a65ca399f0d2b27fec7c80785ddc759
3)  https://blockchain.info/tx/811afd0ab6d85a5a3cf91bf2f7eb89df4cd74c2a5fa7631ad2d7f33eefdadcfe

Now suddenly I have this from my other wallet automatically
 4)  https://blockchain.info/tx/ea3cab84b679c3c233fadcad7197e933c6b3adf551e17dd498c5329ffbfa637f

and the transaction number 1) shows
 A conflicting transaction has been detected in our memory pool. The transaction hash displayed below may change.

Can you tell me when 1) will be confirmed and are 2) and 3) dependent on 1)
I have paid the fees for all transcations.
Pls help!
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1003

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 08:24:04 AM

This is due to the recent malleability attack on bitcoin: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1198032.0
Don't try making a transaction if you have a unconfirmed transaction coming to your address and you should be fine
pavs94 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 08:25:32 AM

Will i lose my bitcoin in this case?
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1003

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 08:27:35 AM

Will leave the explanation for the more technical people but simple answer is , no you won't.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2015, 10:44:24 AM

No since you send the coins to yourself you just have to wait for a confirmation in the receiving wallet as well as the sending wallet in order to avoid that the wallets get confused. The nature of the attack is only that the transaction ID is modified but the coins still go to the same place and come from the same place. Bitcoin dont actually go anywhere, but lets just assume that it works like that. Your wallet will see the transaction twice. The one you create and its modified twin, both are identical but have different names. Once one twin is confirmed the other becomes invalid as bitcoins can not be spend twice. You have to wait for this confirmation in order to avoid issues, nothing else. If your wallet still shows the wrong balance once one of the TX is confirmed just reset it. How this works depends on your wallet.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 12:03:18 PM

No since you send the coins to yourself you just have to wait for a confirmation in the receiving wallet as well as the sending wallet in order to avoid that the wallets get confused. The nature of the attack is only that the transaction ID is modified but the coins still go to the same place and come from the same place. Bitcoin dont actually go anywhere, but lets just assume that it works like that. Your wallet will see the transaction twice. The one you create and its modified twin, both are identical but have different names. Once one twin is confirmed the other becomes invalid as bitcoins can not be spend twice. You have to wait for this confirmation in order to avoid issues, nothing else. If your wallet still shows the wrong balance once one of the TX is confirmed just reset it. How this works depends on your wallet.

But even if he didn't send coins to himself, he wouldn't be in danger of losing coins. If he sent coins to somebody as a payment, the same scenario that you have described above should just be respected.

As I got it with these malleability attacks, only need that we need to respect is being patient and waiting for that first confirmation, in order not to send another payment and cause the double spending problem.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2015, 12:19:10 PM

But even if he didn't send coins to himself, he wouldn't be in danger of losing coins. If he sent coins to somebody as a payment, the same scenario that you have described above should just be respected.

Yes, but OP might be in danger if they received the coins.

As I got it with these malleability attacks, only need that we need to respect is being patient and waiting for that first confirmation, in order not to send another payment and cause the double spending problem.

Yes, but consider the follow scenario. Alice sends coins to Bob. They know eachother so there is no trust issue. They both consider the TX done and confirmed the moment it was broadcasted. A short time later Alice sends coins to pavs94 and the wallet Alice uses selects the unspend change from the transaction to Bob. Under normal circumstances this would not be an issue because the TX from A to B will confirm with the TX ID it had when Alice issue it. Due to the malleability attack however it might be the twin that gets confirmed. As such the follow up transaction from Alice to pavs94 that uses the unconfirmed change will get invalid. It would point to a transaction that is now invalid and thus can never confirm.

That is why its important to wait for one confirmation not only on the receiving end, but also on the sending end. Well, unless you hand pick the inputs you use and avoid the above issue yourself, but that is not common as most wallets do not even allow such a thing.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 01:03:56 PM

Yes, but OP might be in danger if they received the coins.

Yes, but consider the follow scenario. Alice sends coins to Bob. They know eachother so there is no trust issue. They both consider the TX done and confirmed the moment it was broadcasted. A short time later Alice sends coins to pavs94 and the wallet Alice uses selects the unspend change from the transaction to Bob. Under normal circumstances this would not be an issue because the TX from A to B will confirm with the TX ID it had when Alice issue it. Due to the malleability attack however it might be the twin that gets confirmed. As such the follow up transaction from Alice to pavs94 that uses the unconfirmed change will get invalid. It would point to a transaction that is now invalid and thus can never confirm.

That is why its important to wait for one confirmation not only on the receiving end, but also on the sending end. Well, unless you hand pick the inputs you use and avoid the above issue yourself, but that is not common as most wallets do not even allow such a thing.

OK I see. I understand now! You are very good in explaining stuff! Thanks a lot!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: