Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:55:09 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tracking owners via localBitcoins for targeting at a later date. Be Safe??  (Read 2115 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:26:48 AM

This just occurred to me when thinking to use LocalBitcoins.

Lets say someone is looking for a target to either con, extort or just outright rob. They go on LocalBitcoins and find people willing to trade large amounts of BTC. They make a small initial trade followed up by several other small trades. They do this with multiple different individuals.

They look at the block chain to see the balance of the addresses sending them the money. By doing multiple trades they can look farther up the blockchain to see if the transfers come from the same place. If that 'same place' has a high balance, they've found a potential target for con, extortion or theft.

Likewise the government could also set a person up for a sting like this.

It's tricky because unless you use some sort of service of obscure the origins of the payments, it's not so difficult to determine if the person you are dealing with has a lot of money or a little bit of money. When knowing this person in real life, it makes a convenient way to spot real life high value individuals.

All the more reason to use mixing services, although supposedly only a few services do it well enough to be effective.

What are other peoples thoughts on this?

more or less retired.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 10:30:18 AM

Localbitcoins offers an escrow service, which should act as a mixer as well, right?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
joecascio

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

Semi-retired software developer, tech consultant

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 11:41:04 AM

If when trading bitcoin the localbitcoin trader uses a different address for each transaction, wouldn't that go at least some way toward making it difficult to track his total balances?

The related question of outright robbery has been on my mind, though. If you are trading bitcoin in any substantial amounts through localbitcoin it means that either before or after the transaction, you will be carrying a large amount of cash.

I thought about performing the transaction right outside the bank branch in my local supermarket. That way, I can withdraw or deposit the cash at the same time and place as the transaction occurs, so I reduce the chance that some thief will try to rob me of cash either before or after the transaction.

Joe Cascio
Python/Django & Android developer
Twitter: @joecascio
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 12:39:04 PM

If when trading bitcoin the localbitcoin trader uses a different address for each transaction, wouldn't that go at least some way toward making it difficult to track his total balances?

The related question of outright robbery has been on my mind, though. If you are trading bitcoin in any substantial amounts through localbitcoin it means that either before or after the transaction, you will be carrying a large amount of cash.

I thought about performing the transaction right outside the bank branch in my local supermarket. That way, I can withdraw or deposit the cash at the same time and place as the transaction occurs, so I reduce the chance that some thief will try to rob me of cash either before or after the transaction.

I was thinking more so of people figuring out who you are and what your wealth might be via tracking the money flow down the addresses you spend with. Even if you use a new address each time, you still need to deposit on that address from another address- something that is rather trivial to track.

more or less retired.
Serith

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 03:41:43 PM

I was thinking more so of people figuring out who you are and what your wealth might be via tracking the money flow down the addresses you spend with. Even if you use a new address each time, you still need to deposit on that address from another address- something that is rather trivial to track.

For this case MtGox is sufficient to mix the coins, but the knowledge about someone's financials makes that person vulnerable, and what you pointed is only one potential issue, that's why I advocate so hard for Automatic Coin Mixing Idea, P2P coin mixing

All you need to do is send your bitcoins to MtGox and withdraw them to a new address. MtGox processes so many bitcoin deposits and withdrawals that you've very unlikely to get the same coins back, and so nobody (other than MtGox and anyone with access to their database) would be able to tie your deposit together with your withdrawal. Alternatively, make 2 MtGox accounts, deposit into one, use a 'redeemable code' to transfer the coins to the other account, and withdraw from there. Then even MtGox can't be sure the coins didn't change hands.

P.S. Why the thread was moved to Trading Discussion?
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 05:42:23 PM

Suppose you always send BTC from gox/blockchain wallet. Problem solved.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 06:17:28 PM

One reason I originally created easywallet.org because the privacy model of the other mobile wallets were really bad - they all used only one address, so anyone who you did business with knew all your transactions. I wanted to use multiple addresses, and have built-in mixer. Currently the multiple address -feature is by default off, since it was very confusing for newbies, you have to turn it on via the preferences.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:54:46 PM

you have to turn it on via the preferences.

Or, to match the terms used by EasyWallet, you need to turn off the "Use Static Address" option under Settings.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █