Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:32:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: can't find locations in California to buy Bitcoin  (Read 1193 times)
dfarns (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 10:37:14 AM

I've tried the location finder on cashpayment.com, and it showed a list of about 20 locations in my area.  I tried some of them, Walmart, Albertsons, CVS, a local check cashing business...none of them had any idea what Bitcoin was, nada!  They'd never heard of it.  I went to Walmart and spoke with their customer service desk (where they sell money orders, etc...) and they tried to find it in their computers.  Again, nothing.  I called Walmart at a different time, different shift.  Again, strike two, nada.  When I called Albertson's, I spoke with a manager, but he had no idea what I was talking about.

All I want to do is buy some Bitcoin to pay for something on the internet.  I want to find a location that sells it that can also tell me what the fees are.  Can someone help me with this, it shouldn't be this hard.

Dan
panda1

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 10:47:49 AM

Um, not sure why you are using cashpayment.com or what it has to do with bitcoins. You can't buy bitcoins directly from those places you mentioned. You need to go through a site like bitinstant and then send your payment through one of their listed locations.
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 12:10:11 PM

You could also find a local seller on http://localbitcoins.com/ . There you would meet with another person and trade.
BTCOxygen

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 11:06:19 PM

I've tried the location finder on cashpayment.com, and it showed a list of about 20 locations in my area.  I tried some of them, Walmart, Albertsons, CVS, a local check cashing business...none of them had any idea what Bitcoin was, nada!  They'd never heard of it.  I went to Walmart and spoke with their customer service desk (where they sell money orders, etc...) and they tried to find it in their computers.  Again, nothing.  I called Walmart at a different time, different shift.  Again, strike two, nada.  When I called Albertson's, I spoke with a manager, but he had no idea what I was talking about.

All I want to do is buy some Bitcoin to pay for something on the internet.  I want to find a location that sells it that can also tell me what the fees are.  Can someone help me with this, it shouldn't be this hard.

Dan

you can use BitInstant.com to buy bitcoin's and pay from a Bank Transfer.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3231

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 04:49:07 AM

Unfortunately, it is that hard, but it is getting easier as bitcoin gains more mainstream awareness and companies like BitInstant are being created to address this problem.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
dfarns (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 10:25:40 AM

I should have mentioned I want to pay cash for the bitcoins.  I went to the bitinstant website, and it lead me right back to cashpayment.com, which is on their list of agents.  What I don't get is why cashpayment.com would list all these locations and none of the ones I contacted knew anything about cashpayment.com or bitcoins.  This is either gross incompetence, or I'm using the wrong language.  I emailed bitinstant and mentioned the problem, so perhaps they'll answer me and give me a solution.

Walmart was one of the locations listed at cashpayment.com, and they were also mentioned on a different website that also referenced bitinstant.com as the service that made the Walmart connection possible.

I also looked at localbitcoins.com, but the only really close person had a $1000 minimum.  And there were only five persons/businesses listed in my area, a very large city.  There were a few with $20 minimums, but they weren't very close.

Walmart would be perfect, if only I knew how to get them to admit they were really a bitcoin location.
hamdi

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 10:32:55 AM

localbitcoins.com or bitinstant.com
panda1

Activity: 187

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 10:53:30 AM

Why are you trying to get the locations to admit they sell bitcoins?  Because they don't.  If you are using bitinstant you are sending cash to bitinstant to trade/convert into bitcoins.  The locations are accepting money on bitinstant's behalf.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3231

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 05:12:28 AM
Last edit: October 27, 2012, 05:28:39 PM by odolvlobo

I should have mentioned I want to pay cash for the bitcoins.  I went to the bitinstant website, and it lead me right back to cashpayment.com, which is on their list of agents.  What I don't get is why cashpayment.com would list all these locations and none of the ones I contacted knew anything about cashpayment.com or bitcoins.  This is either gross incompetence, or I'm using the wrong language.  I emailed bitinstant and mentioned the problem, so perhaps they'll answer me and give me a solution.

Walmart was one of the locations listed at cashpayment.com, and they were also mentioned on a different website that also referenced bitinstant.com as the service that made the Walmart connection possible.

The reason that Walmart doesn't know anything about ZipZap or cashpayment.com or bitcoin is that the transaction is done at the store using MoneyGram. I don't know how ZipZap is involved, but you will be sending money to BitInstant via MoneyGram.

I have to say that I totally understand where dfarns is coming from. I suggested BitInstant thinking that it is the right solution, but I just went to the website and it is confusing as hell. The site presents you with a transaction page that assumes that you already know how to use it. What they badly need is a series of pages that will walk new customers through the process.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
fishface

Activity: 223

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 05:16:48 AM

Walmart would be perfect, if only I knew how to get them to admit they were really a bitcoin location.

This is adorable. I mean that in the most non-insulting way possible. I hope you get your bitcoins, friend. There are some good how-to's that will walk you through the process you're attempting, read up on bit instant on the forums
Arto
Donator

Activity: 213

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 05:54:35 PM

I have to say that I totally understand where dfarns is coming from. I suggested BitInstant thinking that it is the right solution, but I just went to the website and it is confusing as hell. The site presents you with a transaction page that assumes that you already know how to use it. What they badly need is a series of pages that will walk new customers through the process.

There is Lady Bytes's helpful tutorial video: https://vimeo.com/44849463

RyanRed

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 06:05:12 PM

I can say Ive used Bitinstant to buy bitcoins a few times. Its super easy bud. Go to Bitinstant. Choose CVS in the first drop down window. Choose Bitcoin Address in the second. Type in your address. Choose your CVS location. Once you get to the point where the PDF file is generated either right down all the info, or print it out. Head to CVS and look for their moneygram phone. Use the phone and setup the payment. Head to the cashier, and pay them Smiley

Im usually in and out in under 5 mins.
Crookid

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 03:43:22 PM

chase bank all over that state as well as BOA and of course wally world
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 03:46:14 PM

These Cash places eg. walmart have nothing to do with the actual bitcoins.

They're a means to send the cash to bitinstant so you can get your bitcoins.

I am LOLing so hard picturing a dude running around town trying to buy bitcoins at walmart..... Smiley

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀