Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:46:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Oct 11 to Nov 11 Sidehack stick pool club.  (Read 19750 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 11:41:25 PM

I think this contest will provide some great fun, and possibly great photos.

I can imagine someone using two sets of Y cables to bridge 4 usb connections into 2, and then one more Y cable to bridge the 2 bridges down to 1, so you effectively have 4 usb ports into 1.  Commence fire and melted electronics.  Grin

I won't be participating in the OC contest, but I will definitely be following along!
Jake36

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 11:51:08 PM

As enthusiastic as I am about a contest to maximize a stick, I don't know that I'm up to it now.

I found these comments in the stick support thread-

meech - steadily running @300mhz 7.2 v adj. @ 1.52a with 4 hashing about 16-17ghs

edonkey's getting 16GH @306 Mhz

chig reports running at 400 Mhz  with no errors in 24hrs (no hash rate mentioned)

phillipma1957- I did run at 400 and got 22gh but was pulling over 2.1 amps or just about ten watts a stick.
(and i bet if phil unplugged the other 19 sticks in his stud(ly) hub, he could shoot lightning bolts into a stick and manage to keep it alive for 24 hrs.)

and this-

Did you see we jacked one up a bit yesterday and got it to 488MHz? Most of the high-power parts were actually still stock.

Keep an eye on sidehack, he might just want to win one of his sticks back.

I've got 5 sticks that's been going 5 days @ 350MHz, with a big 2HW, would have been a longer run if the power didn't go out for about 2 hrs last Friday.

http://imgur.com/e8Xqr7h
http://imgur.com/hhcItj3

I'm waiting on some better fans to move more air, before going any higher. And if what I got planed works, should be able to hit 450+ MHz (but got a little testing to do yet to see if it's going to work).  Wink
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3562

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:10:28 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2015, 02:41:47 AM by vapourminer

As enthusiastic as I am about a contest to maximize a stick, I don't know that I'm up to it now.

meech - steadily running @300mhz 7.2 v adj. @ 1.52a with 4 hashing about 16-17ghs

chig reports running at 400 Mhz  with no errors in 24hrs (no hash rate mentioned)

phillipma1957- I did run at 400 and got 22gh but was pulling over 2.1 amps or just about ten watts a stick.
(and i bet if phil unplugged the other 19 sticks in his stud(ly) hub, he could shoot lightning bolts into a stick and manage to keep it alive for 24 hrs.)

and this-

Did you see we jacked one up a bit yesterday and got it to 488MHz? Most of the high-power parts were actually still stock.

I've got 5 sticks that's been going 5 days @ 350MHz, with a big 2HW, would have been a longer run if the power didn't go out for about 2 hrs last Friday.

I'm waiting on some better fans to move more air, before going any higher. And if what I got planed works, should be able to hit 450+ MHz (but got a little testing to do yet to see if it's going to work).  Wink

*cough*

http://www.jondon.com/dri-eaz-sahara-pro-x3-turbodryer-air-mover.html

watch the video please  and download the manual (pdf)

*umm cough*

i do have access to more powerful ones i used to do fire and flood restoration in construction

thats just the 1st link i could google real quick

@ phil is that  cheating?
pepto

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:34:45 AM

That's an OK idea.
I was thinking about spraying my setup with water proofing compound, reassembling it in a big bowl of water, and putting it in the freezer till solid. Then it would be game on.
Jake36

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:44:11 AM

Have to show a screen shot of hashing on hour zero and hour twenty four.

screen shots at midnight?

USA eastern time zone? daylight savings time? UTC time?

no  maybe 7 pm     EST   but  the date is nov 15th or so  maybe the 14th  of nov  and  I am not set in details.

Has to be stock as in no mods and only wind /air cooled.

Second contest will be any thing you can think of with your red hot sticks to crank them up and over the freq 425 mark.

Any power any volts any cooling etc.

As for cheating  I came up with the same issue    try run 2 versions at the contest one the actual  oc's stick and 2 a   u-2 stick  balanced at 10 pools so just a tiny bit of shares bleed into the oc stick's account.

I need to look into that to see if it is detectable.

How would someone explain more shares shown on the pool stats than what is shown as accepted shares in a screen shot?

I checked shares at 10:30 tonight shown in cryptoglance's pool page + the shares shown in cgminer and will see if they match up tomorrow night at 10:30.  If they match up, it's going to be kind of hard to explain 3,459,890 shares on the pool page, when the screen shot says 2,867,453... LOL

EDIT: Just done a quick 15 min check, it was 34 shares difference. So that's probably just the time to write the number down from cgminer and reload the pool page.

OK 24 hrs, the page showing 391,620 more accepted shares from 10:30 last night, cgminer showing 391,602 more accepted shares from 10:30.

So looks like trying to sneak some extra shares in, is not going to work with having to post screen shots. Unless some one wants to sneak 20 - 30 extra shares in?
Jake36

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 03:00:15 AM

chig reports running at 400 Mhz  with no errors in 24hrs (no hash rate mentioned)

and this-

*cough*

*umm cough*

i do have access to more powerful ones i used to do fire and flood restoration in construction

HMM!

I kind of want one... LOL
AJRGale

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 06:01:14 AM

and this-

*cough*

*umm cough*

HMM!

I kind of want one... LOL

2700CFM at 0.33HP, my sun server does more air then that and at 110dBa :>

since my little hub got 30A at 5V directly from the PSU..
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 07:43:05 AM

*Edited as long quote

They actually say 1062 CFM in video.  It could be wrong though it seemed a little dated on video.  It is a interesting designed fan's.  All I use are more traditional round ones.   

I am impressed with your hub.  I would love to see how high a stick goes on that.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3562

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 08:11:47 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2015, 09:24:24 AM by vapourminer

*Edited as long quote

They actually say 1062 CFM in video.  It could be wrong though it seemed a little dated on video.  It is a interesting designed fan's.  All I use are more traditional round ones.   

I am impressed with your hub.  I would love to see how high a stick goes on that.

how many fans? are they 80mm radial design? whats the static pressure? how many rpms? what temps are they in?

is 110 db a or c-weighted <= a/c weighing makes a difference in perceived sound in human ears due to the shape of the ear canal. animals like cats/dogs hear much different)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting

these are 0.33 horse power i believe

these are big and each one weighs  27lbs.  I ran  them around 2007 in construction. that have warnings not to move them while running and  warnings to brace doors as they will close them with air presure and keep children  and drapes away from them. gotta love it

yup servers are LOUD and can move serious air indeed. 110db can hurt your ears long term ( i work at an ent medical practice with audiologists and run pro sound in a band ill grab a sound meter and check)  I have some delta fans kickin around somewhere in the basement

the video is from 2006 I think

these are fairly quiet we ran them in residential houses. and we do have servers at work that need air conditioned environments.

this one you can rent if needed
AJRGale

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 10:36:31 PM

*Edited as long quote

how many fans? are they 80mm radial design? whats the static pressure? how many rpms? what temps are they in?

is 110 db a or c-weighted <= a/c weighing makes a difference in perceived sound in human ears due to the shape of the ear canal. animals like cats/dogs hear much different)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting

these are 0.33 horse power i believe

these are big and each one weighs  27lbs.  I ran  them around 2007 in construction. that have warnings not to move them while running and  warnings to brace doors as they will close them with air presure and keep children  and drapes away from them. gotta love it

yup servers are LOUD and can move serious air indeed. 110db can hurt your ears long term ( i work at an ent medical practice with audiologists and run pro sound in a band ill grab a sound meter and check)  I have some delta fans kickin around somewhere in the basement

the video is from 2006 I think

these are fairly quiet we ran them in residential houses. and we do have servers at work that need air conditioned environments.

this one you can rent if needed

the old thing is a Sunfire 280R, the 3x12cm fans (Fan Module 540-5088) are louder then a Vax vacuum, I have to yell to talk to the other person! So OK, its not 110 db, but it is rather loud. and they will push on your hand if you have it in the air stream (im thinking 250cfm each)..

also the 2700 is what the factory is rating them blowers for..

I used to use a electric radiator fan out of a car as an exhaust fan, they did 2500cfm and were only 16". I'm half tempted to setup a room to do that again, although the house I'm in has fold out windows, not sliders, so a little harder to setup..
Ecnad

Activity: 311

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 02:16:54 AM

I've had 3 sticks running at 16.5GHs each for over a week straight now, with no errors and no issues. That being said I wouldn't want to push them any further than this
pepto

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 02:57:58 AM

Have you guys gotten anything out of it?

As much or more than you might imagine.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 03:03:14 AM

Have you guys gotten anything out of it?

we are yet to hit a block.

but if you put in 25 usd for a stick and 5 or 6 to get it shipped you are out  31 usd . 1 stick runs for next to nothing if you run your pc 24/7

so your investment stays very low if you want to be in low.  your chance of collecting on a  part of a block  in 1 month is around 6%.

which means you chance of 3x your cost in a year is greater then 50%.  this is at the 1 stick nothing else level.

I switched to a RPI so I spend a little money on RPI but it can be used for projects in the future.  If you use a RPI you are using so little electricity with a compac.   They really are great lotto.  I mean I feel comterable running for a year and if I don't hit one..... dang I had fun doing it. 

Compare that to some bigger miners I just can't handle the electricity cost even on a S3 or something without constant payment.
pepto

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 02:06:57 PM

Thought I'd share my misery for the last 24 hours.
Tried playing with voltage and frequency (for the contest) on my two sticks and minera-cgminer pi.
Everything went to hell. Only this morning do I think I got things back to where they were- 24Gh at 225.

Also edonkey gave me this so I didn't have to wait for a 1K share to appear, which is what cgminer seems to require before down regulating my share difficulty. But it doesn't work. I did put a space and a number (80) after 'diff'

/var/www/minera/minera-bin/cgminerStartupScript: line 4: --suggest-diff: command not found

Any thoughts on this one?
Meech

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 04:12:25 PM

Tried playing with voltage and frequency (for the contest) on my two sticks and minera-cgminer pi.
Everything went to hell. Only this morning do I think I got things back to where they were- 24Gh at 225.

Also edonkey gave me this so I didn't have to wait for a 1K share to appear, which is what cgminer seems to require before down regulating my share difficulty. But it doesn't work. I did put a space and a number (80) after 'diff'

/var/www/minera/minera-bin/cgminerStartupScript: line 4: --suggest-diff: command not found

Good job!  Just a lil curious at what voltage your running.  Seems incredible to reach 24ghs at 225 freq.
HerbPean
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 04:30:22 PM

Good job!  Just a lil curious at what voltage your running.  Seems incredible to reach 24ghs at 225 freq.

It's two sticks Meech so 12gh each Tongue
edonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 05:04:57 PM

Hard to tell from your description what happened. Maybe you could provide more details?

In my case after installing the Y cable, I made very tiny adjustments to the pot then observed the results before making more changes. It took a long time.

Also, since I have two sticks where one performs better than the other, I had to strike a compromise between the two.

That's weird. The "--suggest-diff" option is definitely spelled right. I'm using 32, like so:

Code:
--suggest-diff 32

Can you copy the text from the "Manual Options" setting in Minera and paste them in a reply?

Or even better, can you ssh to the RPi and show us what is actually being passed to the cgminer executable? Something like this would show it to us:

Code:
ps auxwww | grep -i [c]gminer

Here's sample output from my RPi:

Code:
minera   13743  0.0  0.4   3020  2056 ?        Ss   Sep30   3:52 /usr/bin/SCREEN -dmS cgminer-gekko /var/www/minera/minera-bin/custom/cgminer-gekko --compac-freq 306 --balance --suggest-diff 32 -c /var/www/minera/conf/miner_conf.json
minera   13744 10.3  3.8 162088 17344 pts/1    Ssl+ Sep30 3407:48 /var/www/minera/minera-bin/custom/cgminer-gekko --compac-freq 306 --balance --suggest-diff 32 -c /var/www/minera/conf/miner_conf.json

Was I helpful?   BTC: 3G1Ubof5u8K9iJkM8We2f3amYZgGVdvpHr
philipma1957 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4130
Merit: 7907

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2015, 05:17:50 PM

2 sticks not one stick.  unless I misread his post

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
AJRGale

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 06:37:30 PM

2 sticks not one stick.  unless I misread his post

well, "They" was mentioned, not "It"
pepto

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 07:50:47 PM

Hard to tell from your description what happened. Maybe you could provide more details?

In my case after installing the Y cable, I made very tiny adjustments to the pot then observed the results before making more changes. It took a long time.

Also, since I have two sticks where one performs better than the other, I had to strike a compromise between the two.

That's weird. The "--suggest-diff" option is definitely spelled right. I'm using 32, like so:

Code:
--suggest-diff 32

Can you copy the text from the "Manual Options" setting in Minera and paste them in a reply?

Or even better, can you ssh to the RPi and show us what is actually being passed to the cgminer executable? Something like this would show it to us:

Code:
ps auxwww | grep -i [c]gminer

Here's sample output from my RPi:

Code:
minera   13743  0.0  0.4   3020  2056 ?        Ss   Sep30   3:52 /usr/bin/SCREEN -dmS cgminer-gekko /var/www/minera/minera-bin/custom/cgminer-gekko --compac-freq 306 --balance --suggest-diff 32 -c /var/www/minera/conf/miner_conf.json
minera   13744 10.3  3.8 162088 17344 pts/1    Ssl+ Sep30 3407:48 /var/www/minera/minera-bin/custom/cgminer-gekko --compac-freq 306 --balance --suggest-diff 32 -c /var/www/minera/conf/miner_conf.json

Well, yes to this part-
Manual options
You have chosen to add all options manually, I will only add for you the pools list, you have to take care of the rest.

--compac-freq 225     (This works)
Please do not include the command name or the pools (they are automatically added).
When it didn't work, it looked like this-
--compac-freq 225
--suggest-diff 80

I've only successfully putty'd into an s1 or s3 . I can manage to get the drink recipe. After that, I need my hand held. What's the default user and password for a minera pi? and I'll try again but don't hold your breath.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: