Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:44:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: quantum computer is here. and now?  (Read 1624 times)
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 09:41:32 PM

i would be worried more about the chances of bitcoin to survive, before the quantum pc will ever hit the market on a large scale

it doesn't need to hit the market on large scale...

right now bitcoin with its silly marketcap would not be a primarily target of hidden quantum computer, other big targets would be in the list before bitcoin

That depends who has the first quantum PC, and who has connections to avoid the big theft.

Like if some big bank funded research makes the PC, they wont be hacked, but their rivals could be.

Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 10:51:56 PM

i think you people didn't watch the video or didn't read the news.

QUANTUM COMPUTER IS HERE. IT IS NOT A TECHNOLOGY FROM FUTURE. IT IS HAPPENING, IT IS HERE.

And yes, bitcoin is a target. YES IT IS. It has too much value right now.

And 'they' only need ONE (yes just one) quantum computer to destroy bitcoin completely. Not mass production, BUT JUST ONE!
noo.... they havent made one yet. in the video he says they made a logic board with only two qubits. its going to take alot more than that to destroy bitcoin.

This!
Furthermore OP is just panicking and FUDing. And not long ago we had a similar thread with the same link and almost the same discussion.
Thread can be closed.Nothing, really nothing to see here.

I thought also that we have already closed this discussion in the previous thread. I don't see the point of proving everything all over again! Case closed!
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 12:46:55 AM

Dude, do you think it would be a catastrophe that SHA256 got hacked because of Bitcoin? the entire banking infrastructure and a ton of other infrastructures not related to banking are running under SHA256, it would be a total disaster. It's just sci-fi. Also before that happens im sure the devs will be aware that something like that is actually feasible and they, and any coder that is pro-bitcoin and wants to contribute will help. This is smart money for a reason. It will keep evolving to whatever treats we meet along the way.
ROT13

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 01:43:21 AM

Given the amount of time governments have been able to keep much more visible technologies such as the f-117 stealth fighter from the general public I highly doubt we are privy to just where various governments are at with this technology.  Especially given that politically this technology is the modern day equivalent of nuclear ICBMs in the 60s-80s. 
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 01:55:27 AM

Quantum computing is no thread to Bitcoin. Why would someone who have access to superior computing power would want to steal bitcoin.
When instead you can hack and steal billions from every bank in the world with ease? After all we have more money and 'virtual' assets flying around that normal paper money.
Bifta

Activity: 182

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 02:44:28 AM

Wouldn't bitcoin just hard fork to a new quantum resistant algorithm? In order for those with malicious intent to get quantum computers, they have to go mainstream first. By that point, many researchers will have had quantum computers for years and could develop a new quantum resistant hashing algorithm, which Bitcoin can adopt when quantum computers go mainstream. In fact, that algorithm may not even need to be adopted if SHA256 is still good enough.
Xiaoxiao
Legendary

Activity: 1274

The Golden Rule Rules

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 02:48:39 AM

Are quantum computers capable of defeating human poker players?
~Bitcoin~
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:13:09 AM

I think future of cryptocurrency will depend upon the owner of that so called quantum computer. I doubt it will be opened for public or even in reality before next 10 years. Yes if it goes to wrong hand like some banks right now than they may threat the blockchain security.

Ceizer54

Activity: 196

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 01:38:24 PM

I don't think there is any need to panic for 2 reasons
1.First i think,it is not possible even to break or crack SHA256
2.If even it's possible,then i don't think quontum computers will be available to public and they will only be used for scientific purposes..there's so much money invested in bitcoin around the world and i seriously doubt some computer even if it's quountum can completely damage bitcoin Cool
coinplus
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1058

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 02:09:58 PM

I don't think there is any need to panic for 2 reasons
1.First i think,it is not possible even to break or crack SHA256
2.If even it's possible,then i don't think quontum computers will be available to public and they will only be used for scientific purposes..there's so much money invested in bitcoin around the world and i seriously doubt some computer even if it's quountum can completely damage bitcoin Cool

I too do not think the currently available quantum computing machines will able to crack down the bitcoin private keys. All the quantum computers are not able to break bitcoin, people misunderstand that invention of quantum would break bitcoin private keys. That's completely meaningless. The extreme quantum capable computers theoretically may crack our private keys, but not viable for their invention for next 50 years.
madonnino

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

I ❤ www.LuckyB.it!

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 02:19:01 PM

what is the future of bitcoin with quantum computers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kTDmsNumVE

and now, all the people will buy it to crack the priovate keys of satoshi nakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 06:05:31 PM

what is the future of bitcoin with quantum computers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kTDmsNumVE

and now, all the people will buy it to crack the priovate keys of satoshi nakamoto

You can't, need billion years to crack it. even if use Moore's Law.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: