Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:24:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How many bitcoins will you buy at 8$?
10's - 32 (21.8%)
100's - 55 (37.4%)
1,000's - 24 (16.3%)
10,000's - 6 (4.1%)
>100,000BTC!!! - 30 (20.4%)
Total Voters: 147

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many bitcoins will you buy at 8$?  (Read 5247 times)
bobitza

Activity: 560
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 01:22:42 PM

A crash in price could benefit early ASIC adopters in the short term by slowing sales of ASIC devices.  So there is incentive to make that happen.

Interesting.

But how can one (or more) make that happen?

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 01:29:28 PM

A crash in price could benefit early ASIC adopters in the short term by slowing sales of ASIC devices.  So there is incentive to make that happen.

Interesting.

I'm interested on an estimation of the volume required for such a trade.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 02:23:18 PM

Interesting.

buy fiat

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 02:24:22 PM

None, i'll just patiently wait till they drop under 3 or 2 usd... expecting that to happen before the halving of the reward.

None, order did not get filled ;(

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 03:08:16 PM

Oh adam. Caught out short AGAIN?
bobitza

Activity: 560
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 03:15:40 PM

buy fiat

Quote from: cedivad

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
deeplink

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 03:23:16 PM

buy fiat

You'd need about $1.3M to push the price down to $3.00 or $1.5M to take it to $2.00

(or less, if you believe that more people will remove their bids then add new asks during a sudden crash)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 03:29:21 PM

buy fiat

You'd need to buy about $1.3M to push the price down to $3.00 or $1.5M to take it to $2.00

(or less, if you believe that more people will remove their bids then add new asks during a sudden crash)

ftfy. confusing, right?

vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 03:30:15 PM

buy fiat

You'd need to buy about $1.3M to push the price down to $3.00 or $1.5M to take it to $2.00

ftfy. confusing, right?

I like it though.
itsgoldbaby

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

Hello!

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 05:01:29 PM

None for $8.00 / BTC. But if it dropped to something ridiculous like $1.00 / BTC or lower I would probably buy as many as possible to sit on.  Cool
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 05:18:11 PM

None for $8.00 / BTC. But if it dropped to something ridiculous like $1.00 / BTC or lower I would probably buy as many as possible to sit on.  Cool

I'm pretty sure that >90% of the people that say stuff like: "if it dropped to $1 I'd buy shitloads" would not even read the forum any more should that happen. Plus: They would've shouted: "Oh my god, Bitcoin is dead because of <insert huge fuckup and bad press/>" all the way down.

ZenInTexas

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 06:18:02 PM

None for $8.00 / BTC. But if it dropped to something ridiculous like $1.00 / BTC or lower I would probably buy as many as possible to sit on.  Cool

I'm pretty sure that >90% of the people that say stuff like: "if it dropped to $1 I'd buy shitloads" would not even read the forum any more should that happen. Plus: They would've shouted: "Oh my god, Bitcoin is dead because of <insert huge fuckup and bad press/>" all the way down.

Bitcoin will appear dead - it may even actually be dead until the next cycle.  The problem here is that there may not be a next cycle.  This is just part of the affect of an unregulated system - cycles.  There is no one here that will defend BTC, ie act as a buyer of last resort.  This is a pure market function.  Price stability plays no role in pure capitalism.

Most folks would rather have a stable currency rather than one that swings for the fences.  For Bitcoin to grow beyond it's current purpose and stop being a vehicle for speculation, it needs to be a virtual currency that can store value over the long term.  This depends on uptake by common folk - not crusaders, not criminals, not technical gurus.  Otherwise, it's only economic contribution will continue to be a way to transmit value for folks who don't like traditional transfers or can't use traditional transfers - which is a very niche market - realistically this is a no or little growth area.  In other words, common folk will only hold it for a short-time, days, ie buy some BTC, trade BTC for goods or services, but never store it for the fear of loosing value.  In that case, it will continue to swing due to un-smoothed demand and availability.  The growth of available BTC is a fix daily amount if we disregard BTC traders/speculators - BTC is not elastic.  There is no entity that can add or absorb liquidity to stabilize the value of BTC.  If common folk believe that BTC is a stable store of value, they will hold it.

As for the original question, none at 8.  It's an imperfect question.  Really this question fundamentally assumes that it will go above 8 again, that may not be true.  Personally I believe, it has much further to fall than 8, and once it falls thru 6.1, it may not see 5.8 until the next cycle.   If I was seriously concerned about people losing money, I would advise folks to do a technical analysis and look at the chart and figure out the most likely support/resistance level...which to me means around 6.1-5.8 (it's a moving target).  However, that doesn't mean it won't move lower, so I would further advise folks to keep a reserve in order to double down at the next resistance level.  But I would also be wary of external affects, such changes to MtGox.  Or the declaration by the US or UK that bitcoin is persona non grata.  

I believe that BTC/USD is in a super down trend right now, and all technical indicators will be late indicators.
damnek

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 06:37:00 PM

None for $8.00 / BTC. But if it dropped to something ridiculous like $1.00 / BTC or lower I would probably buy as many as possible to sit on.  Cool

This depends on uptake by common folk - not crusaders, not criminals, not technical gurus.  Otherwise, it's only economic contribution will continue to be a way to transmit value for folks who don't like traditional transfers or can't use traditional transfers - which is a very niche market - realistically this is a no or little growth area.  In other words, common folk will only hold it for a short-time, days, ie buy some BTC, trade BTC for goods or services, but never store it for the fear of loosing value.

Niche market? Ever heard of System D?

Perhaps you're the new Nagle.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 06:55:08 PM

Bitcoin will appear dead - it may even actually be dead until the next cycle.  The problem here is that there may not be a next cycle.  This is just part of the affect of an unregulated system - cycles.  There is no one here that will defend BTC, ie act as a buyer of last resort.  This is a pure market function.  Price stability plays no role in pure capitalism.

For now, bitcoin is merely a commodity. One subject to speculation, obviously. Its monetary value is much lower (about 0.25 BTC/USD as I've recently guesstimated). To view it as a money "running an economy" at this point and discuss about it as if it was a established money is inadequate.

I'm not sure you are doing that (talking about bitcoin as a money). Are you? Because it sounds to me a bit like you are defending a regulated fiat currency system (government regulates economy). But that might be some kind of bias on my part.

Either way, maybe you can be a bit more clear on what you're talking about in the quoted paragraph.. I'd love to discuss.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 06:59:38 PM

I almost forgot about that... thanks for the reminder (although I was not the recipient of the question).

For some reason this also brings to my mind the book "A lodging of wayfaring men" by Paul Rosenberg (free ebook), a great read I can recommend.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 07:13:23 PM

This depends on uptake by common folk - not crusaders, not criminals, not technical gurus.  Otherwise, it's only economic contribution will continue to be a way to transmit value for folks who don't like traditional transfers or can't use traditional transfers - which is a very niche market - realistically this is a no or little growth area.  In other words, common folk will only hold it for a short-time, days, ie buy some BTC, trade BTC for goods or services, but never store it for the fear of loosing value.

And what if the real Nagle returns?
ZenInTexas

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 11:35:43 PM

For now, bitcoin is merely a commodity. One subject to speculation, obviously. Its monetary value is much lower (about 0.25 BTC/USD as I've recently guesstimated). To view it as a money "running an economy" at this point and discuss about it as if it was a established money is inadequate.

I'm not sure you are doing that (talking about bitcoin as a money). Are you? Because it sounds to me a bit like you are defending a regulated fiat currency system (government regulates economy). But that might be some kind of bias on my part.

Either way, maybe you can be a bit more clear on what you're talking about in the quoted paragraph.. I'd love to discuss.

From an economics point of view, I think of bitcoin as a store of work based on the fact it takes a finite amount of electricity and computational power to generate bitcoins.  So, in this way bitcoins are a form of money, ie a store of value.  However, bitcoins don't behave the same.  I believe since there is no central authority, which has an interest in defending price stability.  Because of this lack of defense against pure speculation, it acts like a commodity on the open market.  Which means wild swings that speculators use to their benefit. Now, from a purely legal regulated outlook, I suppose until some countries legal system declares otherwise, I think of bitcoins as a commodity rather than a form of money or currency.

Actually I am defending regulated fiat currencies, in so much as they provide stability and can make it unprofitable for speculators by overwhelming them.  I am not defending fiat currencies in the way they created a bureaucratic mess and their current method of monetizing debts.  However, the side affect of price stability right now is monetizing debts, so go figure, in a way I guess I am even defending that right now...

I am treating bitcion as nothing more than another payment system, although with some very interesting features.

My real point is that if people want a "economy" in bitcoin that works with bitcoin as something more than just a way to move between fiat currencies, price stability is a must.

Price of what?  Well that's a good question, right now for me, its the price of USD in BTC.  I can't seem to spend BTC on anything useful to me right now, so on it's own it's a useless store of value to me personally.  Without an BTC "economy" it doesn't make sense to hold bitcoins for non-speculators.  In a way, just holding onto bitcoins longer than a day makes one a speculator.  I don't see any benefit to holding bitcoins.  Bitcoins are not very usable for most peoples needs, ie rent, fuel, electricity - YET.  But that's the point, that yet will be pretty far out, and may never occur.  It's a huge risk to hold onto bitcoins for the future yet moment.

I am sure someone can point to a few cases where bitcoins are accepted, but these are the marketers/evangelicals of bitcoin.  At this point, t's really like the fabled SMS coke machine, it keeps being talked about year after year, but never gets any traction, from Finland to New York http://www.mobilemarketer.com/cms/news/commerce/10231.html

ZenInTexas

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 11:58:03 PM

Nagle - I have no Idea what this refers to...

No, I had not heard of System D. My question, is do you think of System D as something beyond a local barter system?  I am making a few assumptions here, so feel free to correct me.
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 12:02:50 AM

all of them

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 05:14:02 PM

The only time I bought BTC it was at 20 USD, and then they crashed to 2 USD. Pray that I don't buy again.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: