Bitcoin Forum
July 18, 2024, 03:36:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do we get Gary Johnson 5% of the popular vote?  (Read 3906 times)
vokain (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 05:14:23 PM

We're all intelligent, similarly minded individuals, many of who are fed up with how our politicians do not do the job we elected them to do. One politician shows some promise, at least well over that of Obama and Romney. So what can we do to get the Libertarian Party that 5% of the vote so we can change the voting dynamics at least a little bit come next election cycle?

I'm voting libertarian because I don't reside in a swing state, and my state will likely vote for Romney. I don't like Romney, and I don't like Obama, so why not cast my vote for a candidate that actually reflects my values and at least help them be better heard?

No. There is no way for [Ron Paul] to get 3% on write-ins alone for which he did not ask. Among his supporters: a few will write in his name, some are going to vote for Romney, some will not vote at all, most will vote for Gary Johnson. If Gary Johnson is serious about a 2016 run, HE NEEDS 5% of the popular vote this year.

I met Jim Gray, he said 5% is the goal because that will give them Federal matching funds and ballot access that would effectively establish the Libertarian Party as a serious contender for the forseeable future, even after Johnson. That is why they are working so hard on getting non-Libertarians to vote for him, because it could potentially end the two-party system or bring a major re-alignment era. That is why I am trying to convince the voters in my solidly democratic district in a solidly republican state to vote for Gary Johnson. It is not a "waste of a vote" if we can get above 5%.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 05:20:44 PM

Persuading republicans in solidly democrat states and democrats in solidly republican states to vote libertarian is probably your best bet.

This should help... He's bound to agree with either side on some of the issues (not necessarily the same ones): http://www.ontheissues.org/Gary_Johnson.htm

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Charlie Prime

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 11:59:58 PM

We're all intelligent, similarly minded individuals, many of who are fed up with how our politicians do not do the job we elected them to do.

Your premise is false.  Politicians are highly responsive to the electorate and do exactly what voters want.

Look up and down your street.  Estimate the number of people receiving direct or indirect funding from the government.  If you are honest and realistic, you'll notice that it's greater than 50%.

Your Libertarians will get more votes when they start offering more loot.

Ambit    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
Become part of the mining family
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 12:06:40 AM

You American "alternative" thinkers make my head hurt.

If you want another system engage in an effort to create another system where voting for a third party actually counts for something. Yes I know that is easier said than done and cannot be obtained using the existing system. You are living under some sort of superiority complex about your granted rights while at same time you are worse off than every European.
There is no "peaceful" solution for this.

The sooner you riot the more chances will your kids get.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 12:23:08 AM

If you want another system engage in an effort to create another system where voting for a third party actually counts for something. Yes I know that is easier said than done and cannot be obtained using the existing system. You are living under some sort of superiority complex about your granted rights while at same time you are worse off than every European.
You had me right up until here.

There is a peaceful solution, but it sure won't get voted in.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 12:32:22 AM

granted, IF you get that far you have it.
However: You need to replace the whole infrastructure and given that case nations would no longer serve a purpose.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 12:37:20 AM

However: You need to replace the whole infrastructure and given that case nations would no longer serve a purpose.

Not the whole infrastructure. Most of the structures are already in place, just not as powerful or well used as they would be in the end-goal AnCap society.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 12:42:07 AM

Not the whole infrastructure. Most of the structures are already in place, just not as powerful or well used as they would be in the end-goal AnCap society.

And what sort of "convincing" you think will be necessary to use any structure occupied or "owned" by the existing system?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 12:46:54 AM

And what sort of "convincing" you think will be necessary to use any structure occupied or "owned" by the existing system?

Oh, you mean literal infrastructure? I thought you meant things like replacing the military with private security firms and such.

I see no reason to duplicate or replace literal infrastructure.... What were you specifically speaking of?

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5264
Merit: 13108

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 01:54:28 AM

I've been pretty impressed with Gary Johnson. He seems like a candidate who could conceivably win a presidential election someday. He's a great public speaker, and his views are more mainstream than other libertarians (like myself) without being so mainstream that I am at all bothered by his views. So I've decided to vote for him instead of not voting. I don't believe in democracy and I don't have much hope that voting will do any good, but it won't hurt.

I'm in a swing state, but I don't care whether Romney or Obama wins.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
grantbdev

Activity: 292

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 04:59:16 AM

Persuading republicans in solidly democrat states and democrats in solidly republican states to vote libertarian is probably your best bet.

This. Know the person you are talking to, and you can get them on at least one of Gary Johnson's views. They won't likely agree with everything about him, but there will probably one side that will intrigue them.

For people who are completely disillusioned with libertarianism in general, they will still probably support 3rd party support and electoral reform (which is never going to happen without significant 3rd party percentages).

I think that telling people about the 5% goal gets them very excited, because it seems doable but requires fighting for every vote. So many people don't vote because they don't think it makes a difference, because they aren't the one deciding vote (which is a stupid premise in my opinion), but are intrigued about helping him get 5%.

Another thing, 5% is significant enough people will see that Romney and Obama didn't add up close to 100%, I think this could get some media coverage along with the money and ballot access.

I just wish Johnson would advertise the 5% goal more, it was a surprise when I heard it from Jim Gray. I guess they don't want to set the expectations low, but I think it gives them a better chance.

Don't use BIPS!

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 12:39:41 PM

get gary johnson on TMZ

+1

anyone see the youtube stories of a news station testing their airing of election results?
99% precincts reporting; 43% obama, 40% romney

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
grantbdev

Activity: 292

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 11:37:17 PM

I just wish Johnson would advertise the 5% goal more, it was a surprise when I heard it from Jim Gray. I guess they don't want to set the expectations low, but I think it gives them a better chance.

I spoke too soon: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150932807624364&set=a.175035499363.104403.165297924363&type=1&theater

Don't use BIPS!
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 05:32:49 PM

This should help... He's bound to agree with either side on some of the issues (not necessarily the same ones): http://www.ontheissues.org/Gary_Johnson.htm

Actually in most solid rep or dem states this would work with BOTH SIDES.  Take Maryland which is about 20% ahead for Obama....  It really does not matter WHICH side you are on, a vote for Gary Johnson will not change things.  In Maryland it is almost in your interest to vote third party as neither side (dem/rep) pays you much attention at all. 

myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 05:35:51 PM

Actually in most solid rep or dem states this would work with BOTH SIDES.  Take Maryland which is about 20% ahead for Obama....  It really does not matter WHICH side you are on, a vote for Gary Johnson will not change things.  In Maryland it is almost in your interest to vote third party as neither side (dem/rep) pays you much attention at all. 

This point was made in the other voting thread, and you're right. It should actually be pretty easy to get either side to switch, if you can get them to listen for long enough.

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 09:23:30 PM

This point was made in the other voting thread, and you're right. It should actually be pretty easy to get either side to switch, if you can get them to listen for long enough.

in other words, anyone with a brain

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 09:37:48 PM

Oh, you mean literal infrastructure? I thought you meant things like replacing the military with private security firms and such.

I see no reason to duplicate or replace literal infrastructure.... What were you specifically speaking of?

Everything from roads, railroad tracks, power lines, networks. And of course every kind of business with ties to the cronies.
You can't even get the regional governments under the people's control without black uniforms showing up.

At some point you'd have to fight them, physically unless you stay completely beyond their radar until it is too late for them. Maybe our ideas of how to accomplish this are actually the same.
I'd say do that what the Open Source Ecology guys are doing, couple it with mesh networks and decentralized power generation. Then set a distributed data-entry system on top of it use something like the Cargolifter Airships for distribution and wait for critical mass.
Declaring sovereignty might not even be necessary at that point and nations would turn out to be more of a burden to maintain, except maybe for ideologically reasons.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 10:42:44 PM

At some point you'd have to fight them, physically unless you stay completely beyond their radar until it is too late for them. Maybe our ideas of how to accomplish this are actually the same.

They're not far different.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 10:50:36 PM

What do you do when theres a massive boulder blocking the road ? You drive around it.

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2160

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 07:22:07 PM

What do you do when theres a massive boulder blocking the road ? You drive around it.

Dynamite? Cheesy

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: