Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:44:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible to create an automatic sell order at current market value on Mt. Gox?  (Read 1430 times)
Bitcopia (OP)

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 06:54:33 PM

I am accepting user defined quantities of bitcoins as payment, so the Mt. Gox merchant solutions will not work as far as I can tell. However, in the interest of my low profit margins, I need a way to limit market exposure when a user sends payment. The only way I can see to do this is by automatically creating a sell order at current market value as soon as bitcoins are received by my account at Mt. Gox or by having an open sell order at current market value waiting for coins to fund the order. I am getting low quality information from Mt. Gox, and it seems they don't offer such a feature through their current API.

This is very important to the success of my business being able to accept bitcoins. Please help!!! Thanks in advance.
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 07:46:03 PM

Huh? Can't you simply offer to sell them for $0.01 each so that you willl instantly sell them at any price that low or higher, automatically getting the highest price available? Isnt that how market orders work?

That is, offer to sell a billion bitcoins at $0.01 each so any bitcoins you do have will get sold as fast as they arrive in your account?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Bitcopia (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:27:33 PM

Do market orders that low automatically fill at the highest available price? If so, then that would seem a feasible solution.
TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 08:28:44 PM

yes. any limit (that is a limit order not market order) order of any price will always execute at the highest possible price available.

A limit order of 100 BTC @ $X doesn't mean "sell 100 BTC @ $x" it means "sell 100 BTC but don't accept a price BELOW $X".
Bitcopia (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:34:22 PM

Awesome, thanks for saving me from overcomplicating a simple solution!! I love this community.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 10:59:28 PM

yes. any limit (that is a limit order not market order) order of any price will always execute at the highest possible price available.

A limit order of 100 BTC @ $X doesn't mean "sell 100 BTC @ $x" it means "sell 100 BTC but don't accept a price BELOW $X".

Please note that the actual price that you get is a matter of exchange policy, not a law of mathematics.  Do not set X below the least amount that you are willing to accept for them.  If you tell the exchange: "sell 100 BTC for not less than $0.01 each", you can't get upset if your sale only nets you $1.00, even if it usually gets you over a grand.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Bitcopia (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 11:46:22 PM

Please note that the actual price that you get is a matter of exchange policy, not a law of mathematics.  Do not set X below the least amount that you are willing to accept for them.  If you tell the exchange: "sell 100 BTC for not less than $0.01 each", you can't get upset if your sale only nets you $1.00, even if it usually gets you over a grand.

So, there's no guarantee that Mt. Gox will actually match your order with the highest price? In your opinion, would this be a bad method for insuring my coins will get sold at market price? I understand the mathematical aspect of it, but in it's real world application is it really risky?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 11:57:24 PM

It's not more risky than making a market order at any other point of time. The actual "risk" is marginal and is governed by the chance that there is a selloff right before your coins arrive at mtgox.

Chances that prices crash to 0.01 in the near future are very slim, if you are concerned about that you shouldn't be dealing in BTC... For all practical purposes the event triggering that would have to be a serious uncorrectable flaw in the encryption in which case you coins wouldn't be safe anyway. Any other scenarios like all bitcoin hoarders deciding to cash out at the exactly same time are close to ridiculous.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 04:49:36 AM

So, there's no guarantee that Mt. Gox will actually match your order with the highest price? In your opinion, would this be a bad method for insuring my coins will get sold at market price? I understand the mathematical aspect of it, but in it's real world application is it really risky?

I would speak to them.

They have dealt with this issue, I presume, several times over the years,

But a statement from them will necessarily be more useful than any third-hand quotes that you collect from these forums.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Bitcopia (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 06:55:38 PM

Inquiry to Mt Gox:

Ok great, so for example, if I create an open sell order for 20,000 BTC at $1.00, will the coins always sell at current market value? Or is there a risk they could sell sharply below current market value?

October 26, 2012 14:15

Danny

Support Desk

Hello Steven,

Thank you for the email. If you choose the market order on the trade menu, the transaction will be processed as per the current market value. However if you uncheck the market order option and provide the exact amount the BTC has to be sold, it will be processed accordingly.

Thanks,

MtGox.com Team

This was not much help, so I'm just going to go ahead and assume they always match open sell orders with the highest open buy order.... if this is a poor assumption, please advise. Thanks guys.
Sant001

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 10:41:04 AM

Do market orders that low automatically fill at the highest available price? If so, then that would seem a feasible solution.

This assumption have costed me $1,000 when my order got executed at a pretty low amount.

Even if Gox assured it would execute at highest possible price, be careful. And do not assume it from any other exchange, it just depends on how their engine is coded.
Bitcopia (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 05:25:17 PM

This assumption have costed me $1,000 when my order got executed at a pretty low amount.

Even if Gox assured it would execute at highest possible price, be careful. And do not assume it from any other exchange, it just depends on how their engine is coded.

Yikes... so they filled your order below market value and it cost you $1,000? If that's true then it looks like I'm back at square one...
Sant001

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 01:53:36 AM

It wasn't Gox, it was another smaller exchange.
nomnomnom

Activity: 313
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 02:34:50 AM

A good idea would be to test that with a small amount first.
Then you see if it sells at current market price  Grin
daybyter
Legendary

Activity: 965
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 12:12:21 PM

You could use a small bot, that just requests the current gox depth before posting the order?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: