Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:59:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Increase the availability of BTC  (Read 2036 times)
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 07:41:08 PM

People use USD/EURO/JPY etc... because they get them as their salary, then it is very natual to use it

But if you need to spend BTC, you must first open an account in mtgox and transfer money, or setup a minning rig, that is way too complex

If someone can use BTC to pay out various online contest, more people will get access to it

BladeMcCool

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:07:12 PM

Are you running such a contest? Also do you personally accept BTC from people for payment for your goods/services? I accept it myself. I also give customers discount for buying my services in bitcoin. I would sell bitcoins for cash to locals here in Victoria BC as well. I sometimes randomly ask merchants at checkout "Oh can I pay with bitcoin?". Most of them respond "What is a bitcoin?" although one of them said "Not yet, still waiting to see if it really becomes soemthing".
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1015

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 09:15:28 PM

People use USD/EURO/JPY etc... because they get them as their salary, then it is very natual to use it

But if you need to spend BTC, you must first open an account in mtgox and transfer money, or setup a minning rig, that is way too complex

If someone can use BTC to pay out various online contest, more people will get access to it

Seals has a game every hour with .05BTC prize, no cost to enter.

It looks like coinworker.com is still running, it has small jobs anyone can do.

I think generally it will work better the other way eg, "I can do X well, here is proof, I accept bitcoins". And that happens all the time.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Desolator

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 11:05:48 PM

That is the #1 thing keeping the popularity from rising and the #1 thing from keeping the price from rising due to the accompanying demand.  Going through some sketchy site like dwolla or liberty reserve or paying $35+ in fees to transfer money from a bank account to MTGox is insanely stupid.  There are local exchange programs but not enough of them.  There are a couple tiny companies that exchange directly through paypal and stuff but they're setting themselves up for massive scams with chargebacks, etc. So really there is no good solution.  I'd prefer a giant BTC ebay where someone can sell some random stuff and get BTC for it.  That'd have some serious problems with fraud too but it'd be neat Tongue
helloworld

Activity: 266

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 12:21:38 AM

Chicks on reddit don't seem to have a problem accepting BTC.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 12:33:05 AM

You can deposit USD into a bank account and get Bitcoins from several exchanges.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
helloworld

Activity: 266

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 12:39:30 AM

You can deposit USD into a bank account and get Bitcoins from several exchanges.

I can deposit sliced cheese into my neighbor's mail slot and get Bitcoin from several exchanges.

Unfortunately the two actions are unrelated.
Insu Dra

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 01:03:00 AM

Social farm games: some users buy to get a head, others save by selling and for some there is no limit as to what they would do to get a head ... your basic virtual economy. You just need to balance the amounts that go in/out. On top of that your targeting a crowd that is used to digital money.

Small con, by handing btc back to players your probably gone have a hard time to keep something for your self and/or to find funding for development.
Biggest con, games are so annoying and expensive to make.

If well executed this would be a huge boost  Wink

"drugs, guns, and gambling for anyone and everyone!"
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 01:11:33 AM

The hard part is getting bitcoiners to actually bring bitcoins into the virtual economy in the first place.

Letting players buy stuff from each other instead of only the game admins selling stuff is only part of the puzzle; you also need people who actually have bitcoins to use them to buy the stuff the players are selling.

Unfortunately bitcoiners have so far shown themselves to be very poor at actually getting in there and luring other players into using bitcoins, so out of the numerous virtual game-currencies players are exchanging among themselves bitcoins are one of the least-used varieties.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 11:28:08 AM

I started by giving several BTC to friends' kids as birthday gift, hope that will grow with them to payback their school in the future Cool

Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 12:21:46 PM

PM Poker has 200 mBTC freerolls every two hours.
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 12:31:53 PM

Checkout all the countries on this list!

Qatar
Cambodia
Kyrgyzstan
Mexico
Ghana
Puerto Rico
etc etc

https://localbitcoins.com/statistics

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
blablahblah

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 01:23:26 PM

Unfortunately bitcoiners have so far shown themselves to be very poor at actually getting in there and luring other players into using bitcoins, so out of the numerous virtual game-currencies players are exchanging among themselves bitcoins are one of the least-used varieties.

-MarkM-

Maybe people just try too hard? Everyone's so busy trying to convince the world that it's real, that a) they forget to play with it and b) the hard-sell sounds scammy. Cool
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 02:50:28 PM

-MarkM-

Maybe people just try too hard? Everyone's so busy trying to convince the world that it's real, that a) they forget to play with it and b) the hard-sell sounds scammy. Cool

I get the impression the folks here are just not into gaming. Sure every once in a while someone starts a thread yet again saying bitcoin should be used in games, but even those same people do not seem to actually make any effort to get in and play any/all games that people do set up. So basically they seem to tend to be "someone else should do something I myself am too lazy to do" type people...

For a long time Ixcoin was the only coin that had a player actually running around in-game trying to engage other players in trade using that player/trader's favourite coin, so it actually looked like Ixcoin would be the front-runner among the cryptocoins that were not created speficically by players, for players, inside the actual game itself.

Basically if you want players in games to use a particular currency, get in-game and offer them the currency you want them to get into. If they find that bitcoiners are good customers for in-game stuff they will come to like bitcoins, and having obtained them they will look for ways to spend them, quite possibly not only inside the game they "earned" them in.

So far bitcoiners look like notorious cheapskates compared to many other currencies, heck the Ixcoin advocate probably spent more value/worth of Ixcoin in game than all the bitcoins spent by all the bitcoiners. (Such very very few bitcoiners as even tried/offered, that is...)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Insu Dra

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 03:23:06 PM

The hard part is getting bitcoiners to actually bring bitcoins into the virtual economy in the first place.

If you can provide a start-up capital to kick start the game there should be no real need for bitcoiners to bring there coins in. The biggest challenge then becomes getting people in that will buy stuff with fresh btc to prevent your game from running out of btc to reward people with.

Basically if you want players in games to use a particular currency, get in-game and offer them the currency you want them to get into. If they find that bitcoiners are good customers for in-game stuff they will come to like bitcoins, and having obtained them they will look for ways to spend them, quite possibly not only inside the game they "earned" them in.

I tried that a few years ago and it did not work out (at least not on a small otc scale), people don't know bitcoin and most people don't like things they don't know. For that concept to really take off they need to get to know bitcoin first and the best way to do that is by making a game that uses it as it's default in game currency.

"drugs, guns, and gambling for anyone and everyone!"
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 03:36:02 PM

I actually set millibits as in-game currency for a while, but even free millibits didn't attract bitcoiners into the game, and the other players basically just complained that it was not fair to set the default currency to one that a bunch of non-players preferred instead of to one that at least one player preferred. The Ixcoin advocate got a lot of support in fact from other players saying if anyone's favourite cryptocoin should be used it should be his, since at least he actually played the game whereas bitcoiners are notorious for not actually playing despite running around telling people who DO play to use bitcoins.

Why the heck should players cater to a bunch of non-players? It makes them feel used. They prefer to use a fellow-player's currency rather than yet another currency some outsider who does not even play the game wants to impose upon them.

-MarkM-

blablahblah

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 04:24:57 PM

Why the heck should players cater to a bunch of non-players? It makes them feel used. They prefer to use a fellow-player's currency rather than yet another currency some outsider who does not even play the game wants to impose upon them.

-MarkM-

Hmm, I'm starting to see now...

Most people don't understand/care how a software developer can arbitrarily print toy money, and potentially have it ramped up to millions of dollars in exchange value. They could even have their own special characters with unlimited funds, and no-one would ever know.
But if you play with Bitcoin, it allows players with a wealth advantage to undeservedly blow away the competition.

So how would you solve this dilemma with Bitcoin?

Perhaps limit the amount of funds that can be brought in per character?
Arbitrarily limit the maximum amount of "game gold" that a character can carry? This reminds of all those FPS games where players can run and jump with ridiculous amounts of weaponry.
Make the in-game economy deflationary?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 04:45:33 PM

Take a good look at the tables linked to from http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/digitalisassets.html

I never thought any of the alternatives would surpass bitcoin in value but it seems the vast expenditures of bitcoins on ASIC pre-orders has supressed bitcoin prices so much and so long now that bitcoin is no longer top dog.

I don't think there is really much threat anymore of bitcoiners over-running all the other players.

-MarkM-

bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 10:25:06 PM

Social farm games: some users buy to get a head, others save by selling and for some there is no limit as to what they would do to get a head ...

Social games: some users buy to get head, others save by selling and for some there is no limit as to what they would do to get head ...

Wait, I think you meant to use the word "ahead" rather than "a head" ...  Grin

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 10:19:01 AM

I'm on it bro. Captain Brocoin to the rescue.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: