Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:32:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: China asks world to impose 'code of conduct' on Internet  (Read 4913 times)
pattu1

Activity: 675
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 02:48:04 AM

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ibm-allows-chinese-government-to-review-source-code-1444989039

----------------------------------------------------------------------
China is trying to put a back door on everything that is linked to the internet.

The Chinese people are amazing but... The Chinese politburo is a cancer who wants to take over the internet. Everybody can see that, unless you are paid not to see it.

Use open source. You have nothing to worry.
They can examine the Bitcoin protocol source code to their heart's content.  Smiley
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 03:57:15 AM

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ibm-allows-chinese-government-to-review-source-code-1444989039

----------------------------------------------------------------------
China is trying to put a back door on everything that is linked to the internet.

The Chinese people are amazing but... The Chinese politburo is a cancer who wants to take over the internet. Everybody can see that, unless you are paid not to see it.

Use open source. You have nothing to worry.
They can examine the Bitcoin protocol source code to their heart's content.  Smiley

What about the source code running on all those IBM computers. Can you examine theirs too? Can the people of china, not the politburo, see what their government do with IBM?

Open source? Check out Ubuntu kylin, especially developed to be "compatible" with the chinese politburo...

Vika NSFW

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 12:13:04 PM
Last edit: October 17, 2015, 12:28:49 PM by Vika NSFW

Don't you see the irony compared to china, where you can't google it

Again the same flood.

https://www.google.com/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=yzsiVrfLFNKs8we8taX4DQ&gws_rd=cr#q=Tiananmen+Square+Massacre+site:.cn

https://www.google.com/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=yzsiVrfLFNKs8we8taX4DQ&gws_rd=cr#q=天安门+方+大屠杀+site:.cn

What number on China Mainland Internat popularity have google.com second ALEXA.com?

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 03:52:04 PM

Report: Cyberattack From China Began Day After Chinese President Agreed With Obama To Stop Doing So…

WASHINGTON (TheBlaze/AP) — Last month President Barack Obama said that the U.S. would be “watching closely” to see if “words are followed by actions” after he and Chinese President Xi Jinping announced they reached an agreement regarding cyberattacks.

The next day, a cybersecurity firm is now announcing, a cyberattack by the Chinese was observed and thwarted. In fact, the Irvine, California-based company, CrowdStrike, said Monday Chinese hacking attempts on American corporate intellectual property have occurred with regularity over the past three weeks, suggesting that China almost immediately began violating its cyberagreement with the United States.

CrowdStrike, which employs former FBI and National Security Agency cyberexperts, said it documented seven Chinese cyberattacks against U.S. technology and pharmaceuticals companies “where the primary benefit of the intrusions seems clearly aligned to facilitate theft of intellectual property and trade secrets, rather than to conduct traditional national security-related intelligence collection.”

“We’ve seen no change in behavior,” said Dmitri Alperovich, a founder of CrowdStrike who wrote one of the first public accounts of commercial cyberespionage linked to China in 2011.

CrowdStrike said in a blog post that on Sept. 26, the day after Obama announced that he had expressed “our concerns about growing cyberthreats” to Xi and “indicated that it has to stop,” it observed an intrusion from “China-affiliated actors.” The company said it stopped this attack and none of its customer’s data was taken, but the fact that this attack occurred “highlights the need to remain vigilant despite the newly minted Cyber agreement.”

A senior Obama administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not allowed to discuss the matter publicly, said officials are aware of the report but would not comment on its conclusions. The official did not dispute them, however.

The U.S. will continue to directly raise concerns regarding cybersecurity with the Chinese, monitor the country’s cyberactivities closely and press China to abide by all of its commitments, the official added.

The U.S.-China agreement forged last month does not prohibit cyberspying for national security purposes, but it bans economic espionage designed to steal trade secrets for the benefit of competitors. That is something the U.S. says it doesn’t do, but Western intelligence agencies have documented such attacks by China on a massive scale for years.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/10/19/security-firm-reports-cyberattack-from-china-the-day-after-obama-and-xi-jinping-announced-agreement-on-cyberthreats/?utm_source=TheBlaze.com&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=story&utm_content=security-firm-reports-cyberattack-from-china-the-day-after-obama-and-xi-jinping-announced-agreement-on-cyberthreats

--------------------------------------------
It is obvious China cannot be trusted with the open free internet... If anyone tells you otherwise that person works for the Chinese government, or paid by the chinese politburo.

MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 03:59:06 PM

Report: Cyberattack From China Began Day After Chinese President Agreed With Obama To Stop Doing So…

It is obvious China cannot be trusted with the open free internet... If anyone tells you otherwise that person works for the Chinese government, or paid by the chinese politburo.

Did you see the thing about facebook warning you from other countries hacking into your computers or phone?

Facebook Warns Users Of State-Sponsored Attacks

"Facebook users who receive one of the social network's new warnings should ideally replace or rebuild their entire system.

It's a Facebook notification you never want to see.

The social network is to start warning people when it has a "strong suspicion" that an account has been compromised by a nation-state.

Instead of simply resetting a password, Facebook warns that those affected should either "rebuild or replace" their mobile phone or computer system..."
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 10:24:28 PM

Did you see the thing about facebook warning you from other countries hacking into your computers or phone?

Facebook Warns Users Of State-Sponsored Attacks

"Facebook users who receive one of the social network's new warnings should ideally replace or rebuild their entire system.

It's a Facebook notification you never want to see.

The social network is to start warning people when it has a "strong suspicion" that an account has been compromised by a nation-state.

Instead of simply resetting a password, Facebook warns that those affected should either "rebuild or replace" their mobile phone or computer system..."

Nice find. Yep, let us have China take control or have a say on the internet protocol...

Roll Eyes

pattu1

Activity: 675

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 12:38:29 PM

What about the source code running on all those IBM computers. Can you examine theirs too? Can the people of china, not the politburo, see what their government do with IBM?

Open source? Check out Ubuntu kylin, especially developed to be "compatible" with the chinese politburo...

I did look up Ubuntu Kylin.
The website says "complies with the Chinese Government procurement regulations".
What the hell would procurement regulations have to do with software? If I were a Chinese, I would just go ahead and use the normal version of Ubuntu. Not much that the government can do, right?
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 12:47:31 PM

The website says "complies with the Chinese Government procurement regulations".
What the hell would procurement regulations have to do with software? If I were a Chinese, I would just go ahead and use the normal version of Ubuntu. Not much that the government can do, right?

If you were Chinese the Chinese Government procurement regulations wouldn't apply to you unless you worked for the Government. Wink Most governments have procurement regulations, so taxpayers can be assured that they're getting value for money, and their government isn't wasting money. Whether procurement regulations actually prevent governments wasting taxpayers' money is another matter...

This space intentionally left blank.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 05:20:24 PM

If you were Chinese the Chinese Government procurement regulations wouldn't apply to you unless you worked for the Government. Wink Most governments have procurement regulations, so taxpayers can be assured that they're getting value for money, and their government isn't wasting money. Whether procurement regulations actually prevent governments wasting taxpayers' money is another matter...

Are you saying kylin is only being used by chinese civil servants?

LMGTFY

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 05:38:58 PM

No. I'm saying that the statement "complies with the Chinese Government procurement regulations" means that Kylin is OK for Chinese civil servants to use. And, implicitly, if we're not employees of the PRC government we don't need to care about the statement in the slightest.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 05:46:33 PM

No. I'm saying that the statement "complies with the Chinese Government procurement regulations" means that Kylin is OK for Chinese civil servants to use. And, implicitly, if we're not employees of the PRC government we don't need to care about the statement in the slightest.

If I was chinese I should get the regular Ubuntu, and not the kylin version then?

panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 05:47:25 PM

Wasting taxpayers' money?
Ubuntu is open source and hence free, right? Where does taxpayers' money come in?
LMGTFY

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 05:50:59 PM

If I was chinese I should get the regular Ubuntu, and not the kylin version then?

Assuming you're not (a) an employee of the state and (b) at work, then you could presumably use whatever you wanted. Ubuntu, Debian, any other Linux distro, there are Apple stores in China, the BSDs are downloadable, etc!

LMGTFY

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 05:53:52 PM

Ubuntu is open source and hence free, right? Where does taxpayers' money come in?

Support and training are the usual costs associated with free/open source software. (Obviously with proprietary software too, but purchase costs are more obvious).

panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 06:02:24 PM

Support and training are the usual costs associated with free/open source software. (Obviously with proprietary software too, but purchase costs are more obvious).

If it was Chinese government employees, they needn't even justify decisions using procurement regulations.
They can just say that it was a decision which was made.
LMGTFY

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 06:07:22 PM

If it was Chinese government employees, they needn't even justify decisions using procurement regulations.
They can just say that it was a decision which was made.

You may be right: "Whether procurement regulations actually prevent governments wasting taxpayers' money is another matter..."

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: