Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 03:33:04 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get recurring donations?  (Read 1179 times)
adrelanos (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 09:44:24 PM

I'd like to offer a method to subscribe for recurring donations. A user should be able to sign up voluntarily to donate X BTC every month.

They should be able to any, one or multiple of those: bank wire, flattr, webmoney, dwolla, pecunix, paypal, weepay, etc...

The services charges the monthly donation, takes a small fee and directs the rest to my btc wallet.

Are there any services for that?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 10:01:41 PM

I'd like to offer a method to subscribe for recurring donations.

Propster does this.  Essentially, the contributor maintains a balance of bitcoins in that person's Propster EWallet and periodically the pledges are processed and the funds transfer.

So you simply set yourself up with a Jar on Propster and direct your "fans" there.
 - https://propster.me

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 10:08:52 PM
Last edit: October 29, 2012, 09:33:02 PM by Stephen Gornick

They should be able to any, one or multiple of those: bank wire, flattr, webmoney, dwolla, pecunix, paypal, weepay, etc...

For the same reason that no Bitcoin exchanges accept paypal, wepay, etc, you likely won't find any offer to send non-reversible bitcoins using funds received through these payment methods notorious for chargebacks.

Perhaps the Dwolla method could be implemented.

The payment service simply sends once a month to your contributors a Dwolla invoice.  Dwolla is a push-only payment network thus the contributor would need to login and hit the Pay button each month but at least those funds, once they've been sent, are easily converted to bitcoins (while having a relatively low likelihood of being charged back.)

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

bittenbob

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 10:16:44 PM
Last edit: November 01, 2012, 03:37:55 AM by bittenbob

We have a subscription payment option that could be used for recurring donations but it is only for Bitcoin

https://walletbit.com/docs/subscriptions

BONUS REDEEM CODE: REPAY-BTC-3B0D4-F0A54-43AEE-3E145
Armando

Activity: 870
Merit: 500

Trading will make me rich)

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 10:21:14 PM

We have a subscription payment option that could be used for recurring donations but it is only for Bitcoin

https://walletbit.com/docs/subscriptions

Is this service limited to walletbit users only? I.e. if my customer is using official client, can I somehow create monthly invoice for him, using your merchant services?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 08:48:26 PM
Last edit: October 29, 2012, 09:32:50 PM by Stephen Gornick

Is this service limited to walletbit users only? I.e. if my customer is using official client, can I somehow create monthly invoice for him, using your merchant services?

Bitcoin is a push technology.  There is no current way for any third party service to spend from your funds in your Bitcoin.org client.  (except if you were to perhaps share your private keys with that service .. which is a bad, bad idea.)

At some point I suppose there could be M of N transactions created in advance, and simply if the funds haven't already been spent the third party could process the spend when the subscription renewal time comes.

Bitcoin is like cash.  So are there any subscription models that use cash?   Not any that I can think of, except maybe a monthly collection at the office for the birthday gift pool or something like that.

I know the subscription commerce model for startups is all the rage now (e.g., Dollar Shave Club, Birchbox) but if you look into that, actually getting paid is a huge problem for them:
 - http://blog.chargebee.com/10-common-recurring-billing-challenges-learn-how-to-overcome-them/#sthash.RZadJwfx.dpbs

The challenge for any intermediary accepting fiat and paying bitcoins comes back down to this:

For the same reason that no Bitcoin exchanges accept paypal, wepay, etc, you likely won't find any offer to send non-reversible bitcoins using funds received through these payment methods notorious for chargebacks.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 09:22:02 PM

Look up "cron".

In essence you can set up any program/script to be run automatically.

So anyone who wants to send you a bitcoin every month for example can tell "cron" to run "bitcoind sendtoaddress 1youraddess356tey4h4h 1" every month for example.

People who use a fancy-GUI operating system probably already have a fancy-GUI to do this so presumably it is already in place on your customer's machines and for those customers who demand a GUI that too is probably already right there just waiting for them to actually decide they do in fact want something (such as a donation) to happen automatically at set times or spans of time...

Admittedly having something in GUI clients to help wizard people through using their automatic-actions system to set up e.g. a donation might be something they would like too.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 07:02:36 PM

For the same reason that no exchanges accept paypal, wepay, etc, you likely won't find any offer to send non-reversible bitcoins using funds received through these payment methods notorious for chargebacks.
If it's for donations I don't think there's a problem. Of course there will need to be some assurance that the payments are indeed charitable.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: