Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:42:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PSA: ACCOUNTS WILL BE LOCKED IF THE SECRET QUESTION IS USED TO RECOVER IT  (Read 4462 times)
jackbox
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 01:31:25 PM

Thank you, I will do that. It just seems strange that there is no option to turn of the "feature" completely. There are a lot of people who don't browse the different forum sections and simply don't know about the issue. I won't forget it anymore though  Smiley

There is.

Leave both fields blank in the secret question section.

It will disable it.

~BCX~

I understand that you can have it turned off, I actually had it turned off before, but thought I'd improve the security. I ment it's strange that the possibility of adding a secret question is still in there, if the feature is bugged and gets people locked out (for months).

Unfortunately it is not a bug. A while back the user database of the forum was hacked. Logins were compromised. Theymos did it so the hackers could not get the password via the reset option. And they purposely kept it secret so the hackers would not know about it. They won't be turning it off. Just need to know or once you do it and get your account reinstated you will never do it again. But someone who did have a BTC address six months prior in a post or signature has no chance of recovering the account.

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
If I was helpful please buy me a burger DGB: DLASV6CUQpGtGSyaVz5FYuu5YxZ17MoGQz

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinEXpress
Legendary

Activity: 1210

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 05:51:31 PM
Last edit: June 18, 2016, 06:35:06 PM by BitcoinEXpress

I am not sure how robust of a solution this is. Not everyone is going to see this warning (or even visit Meta on any kind of regular basis), so they will not know to remove their security question and to not attempt to use it to reset their password to their account.

I was originally set to display red text "You have a secret question set, this is not recommended" if there was a secret question set.

If no secret question is set, you will not see this warning.

~BCX~
muleroaa

Activity: 924
Merit: 526

GIF by SOCIFI

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 06:14:12 PM

I am not sure how robust of a solution this is. Not everyone is going to see this warning (or even visit Meta on any kind of regular basis), so they will not know to remove their security question and to not attempt to use it to reset their password to their account.

I originally set it to display red text "You have a secret question set, this is not recommended" if there was a secret question set.

~BCX~

BitcoinEXpress, cheeky question: Since you are able to make changes to the forum, are you also able to unlock accounts?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
             █████████████████                   █████████████████
         █████████████████████████           █████████████████████████
       █████████████████████████████       █████████████████████████████
     █████████████████████████████████   █████████████████████████████████
   ████████████▀           ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████
  ████████████▄▄███████████▄▄█████████▓▓▓███████████████████████████████████
 ▐██████████████▀         ▀██████████▓▓▓▓████████████████████████████████████
 ██████████████▄▄█████████▄▄█████████▓▓▓▓▓████████████████████████████████████
▐█████████████████▀      ▀██████████▓▓▓▓▓▓████████████████████████████████████▌
▐████████████████▄▄██████▄▄█████████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███████████████████████████████████▌
▐██████████████████      ███████████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███████████████████████████████████▌
▐██████████████████ ████ ████████████▓▓▓▓▓████████████████████████████████████
 ██████████████████ ████ ████████████▓▓▓▓▓███████████████    ████████████████
  █████████████████ ████ █████████████▓▓▓████████████████   █████████████   █
   ████████████████      ███████████████████████████████    ███████████
    ██████████████████████████████████ ██████████████████     ████████
      ███████████████████████████████     █████████████████
        ███████████████████████████         █████████████████▓
           ████████████████████                ███████████████████▓
               ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
▄████████████████████████████▄
████████████████████████████████
▓████████████████████████████████▓
███████████████████████▒░███████████
▄█████████████████▒░      ███████████▄
█████████████░░          ░████████████
█████████░              ░█████████████
██████████▓░░          ░██████████████
██████████████▓░       ███████████████
▀███████████████▒     ░██████████████▀
████████████████▒   ░███████████████
████████████████░ ░███████████████
████████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
 ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
JOIN OUR
TELEGRAM
BitcoinEXpress
Legendary

Activity: 1210

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 06:34:37 PM

I originally set it to display red text "You have a secret question set, this is not recommended" if there was a secret question set.

~BCX~

BitcoinEXpress, cheeky question: Since you are able to make changes to the forum, are you also able to unlock accounts?

Unfortunate typo as English is not my primary language.

I meant to say

It was originally set to display red text "You have a secret question set, this is not recommended" if there was a secret question set.

Only Theymos and BadBear have the technical abilities to unlock accounts.

I'm just a regular member.

~BCX~
FFrankie

Activity: 2254
Merit: 960

100% Deposit Match UP TO €5000!

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 08:50:56 AM

Is this why I can not make a secret question? I would assume so, but I figured I would ask anyway I did not see it in this thread anywhere
jackbox
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 09:29:07 AM

Is this why I can not make a secret question? I would assume so, but I figured I would ask anyway I did not see it in this thread anywhere

You do not want to set a secret question. If you use it to recover your password your account will be immediately frozen.

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
If I was helpful please buy me a burger DGB: DLASV6CUQpGtGSyaVz5FYuu5YxZ17MoGQz
ndnh
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1005

New Decentralized Nuclear Hobbit

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 12:39:17 PM

You can (can't you??). But you probably should not.

It will make your account vulnerable. (which is why the account gets locked to protect account theft when that is used to recover account)
Using this feature is not recommended. Anyone who guesses your secret answer will have access to your account.
minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2016, 04:38:34 PM

It will make your account vulnerable. (which is why the account gets locked to protect account theft when that is used to recover account)
Using this feature is not recommended. Anyone who guesses your secret answer will have access to your account.
It won't anymore, it will just be useless considering the account would just be locked if it were used.

What that quote is saying is about secret questions in general. Accounts only began to be locked after the forum was last compromised, as the secret questions and answers were leaked and could be decrypted to hack into accounts.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 06:10:20 AM

You can (can't you??). But you probably should not.

If you made it now it is not that the question would make it vulnerable.  It is that there was a past security breach where the ones at that time were compromised.   So a security question in itself is not really making it vulnerable, but the problem is account's that have same security question now as time of breach.    It also becomes even harder with inactive accounts as chances of changing security question are none.

So the security question now locks to prevent compromise.   It is a pain for those who hit it but it is considered known now, and we really have a LOT less using security questions now then we did say in October of 2015.  If you look back there was quite a few more then say today it has went down drastically that more users know it locks account's.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: